Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Andre Ward-Sergey Kovalev PPV Show Barely Cracked 160K Buys

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sicko View Post
    Boxing IS F#CKED! WOW! Then again the event wasn't promoted all that well then just a week before that fight most people spent their money on UFC 205 which did 1.6 Million.

Boxing is just not interesting and nobody is going to give up the amount of money that Boxing ask for these PPV's for guys Casuals don't even fuking know, care about or find anything interesting about them. Casuals need more than a bunch of Knockouts and a Undefeated Record, these guys sorry but most of boxing currently the fighters are not interesting and they don't sell themselves to Casuals so Casuals stop watching and turn to UFC because it is a guy like McGregor who is on ESPN the entire week leading up to his fight because HE IS INTERESTING even when he is not fighting.

I'm a Hardcore boxing fans but I can't say the last 2 Weeks did anything Positive for the sport considering how hyped up those fight was among us the boxing fans

1.6 is pretty weak considering how many people are jacking off all over Mcgregor. I constantly hear about or see him. Would have expected well over 2 million for how "huge" of a star he is

Comment

Well, I right about called it.
      Originally posted by DoktorSleepless View Post
      Crawford vs Postol 50k
      Canelo vs Smith 200k
      Ward vs Kovalev 150k
      Gotta wait for Rick's confirmation though.
      Last edited by DoktorSleepless; 11-28-2016, 12:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SplitSecond View Post
        Boxing has plenty of guys that could have grown had Haymon not pulled them into obscurity. Thurman had hype, Danny Garcia was showing promise as a draw, and plenty of other guys had alot more viewership which would segway into more attention to the special fighter(s) that beat them. Instead fukboy Haymon has guys basically out of the sport until everyone forgets them and then makes the 'big' fights.
        Boxing has a lack of personality problem across the board. It's not just limited to Haymon.

Yes, more promotion and more exposure are critical pieces. What do you do with that promotion/exposure is far more important. GGG has had all the exposure and promotion that HBO could muster yet his PPV under performed with casuals.

Boxers need to make people want to pay to see them.

Comment

Originally posted by bchap05 View Post
          1.6 is pretty weak considering how many people are jacking off all over Mcgregor. I constantly hear about or see him. Would have expected well over 2 million for how "huge" of a star he is
          160K is Weaker lol

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Stark View Post
            Looks like bad decisions, not getting fights we want when we want them, and the "politics" of boxing finally caught up with the sport. It's pretty much a dead sport here in the states.
            That is my concern, Is It Too Late? Did Casuals already turn the sport off already? Seems like it based on PPV Numbers and even Network Ratings

Comment

Originally posted by Eastcoast View Post

Damn, that's bad news if true. Means the promoters probably took a hit and might hurt the chances of a rematch. That's about $5.8mill, just covers Ward's cut. Not sure what kind of site fee they got from MGM.
              ya thats about what i expected would be shocked had it done 160 plus one things for sure tho the rematch will do way better numbers. it didnt help that there was really no fights on any networks the few weeks prior i doubt many casuals even knew it was happening that night.

Comment

This wasn't a PPV fight. It was like a Mayweather/Corrales kind of fight in terms of popularity; if that.

That's the problem with boxing. It used to be, beat top fighters to get the big paydays. Now it's about demanding paydays to fight top fighters.

Fights like Ward vs. Kovalev are star-building fights and limiting them to a PPV audience limits the benefit.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                  In the low 160's?!? F**king wow. If this is anywhere near accurate then the fight, as far as PPV success goes, was an outright disaster.

I guess I was incredibly naive because I really thought this fight could do in the neighborhood of half a mil
                  ya that was pretty naive tbh i think people are still in the pac mayweather era mindset wise so they just assume big matchups will do better then they actually do. i would been surprised had it even done 250-300. i do think the rematch will do much better numbers tho i really think having no fights really the month leading up to the fight really hurt

Comment

Originally posted by -PBP- View Post
                    This wasn't a PPV fight. It was like a Mayweather/Corrales kind of fight in terms of popularity; if that.

That's the problem with boxing. It used to be, beat top fighters to get the big paydays. Now it's about demanding paydays to fight top fighters.

Fights like Ward vs. Kovalev are star-building fights and limiting them to a PPV audience limits the benefit.
                    ya but at the same time kov vs ward is as good as boxing gets

Comment

Originally posted by The Big Dunn View Post
                      Boxing has a lack of personality problem across the board. It's not just limited to Haymon.

Yes, more promotion and more exposure are critical pieces. What do you do with that promotion/exposure is far more important. GGG has had all the exposure and promotion that HBO could muster yet his PPV under performed with casuals.

Boxers need to make people want to pay to see them.
                      Golovkin's problem is the same as everyone elses, no hyped opposition. Golovkin has actually done very well for a fighter who has been built on pure hype. Usually you need other fighters with a following to build guys up, that's how it's done. Two hyped fighters, the guy that wins moves up the ladder, if he beats another hyped fighter he gains some of that following also, that's how it works. You're gonna grow very slowly or not at all fighting the Willie Monroe's of the world.

This is why the sport is hurt and why it is especially Haymon's fault. He took the majority of the sports prospects and put them in obscure venues vs obscure opposition and when he 'tries' to bring his fighters out of obscurity it's after everyone has forgotten about them. Not to mention that the promotion these Haymon guys get is horrible even when he's trying.

All these guys Haymon has would be a lot bigger and the sport would be a lot healthier if they had stayed with the likes of GBP or any real promoter.

Every year I have my fingers crossed for PBC, I'm still waiting, Scheafer has returned so hopefully some things change.

Comment

Working...
                      X