Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Andre Ward-Sergey Kovalev PPV Show Barely Cracked 160K Buys

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sadiqkingofko View Post
    Damn lol, so I guess Canelo is really the only PPV star
    I think Golovkin is fairly close to him at this point. That's why the fight would sell a mil. Golovkin on his own sold 150K PPV, compare that to the battle between p4p'ers in Ward and Kova which had relatively plenty of promotion. Golovkin did 600k vs Brook, and tell me if I'm reaching but, a lot of Golovkin highlights on youtube have over 1-2mil, within a year, which is about the same if not better than Alvarez's highlights. ALvarez just has the country men that will buy his crap fights. Golovkin needs a legit opponent (to the casuals atleast) to show his draw.
    Last edited by SplitSecond; 11-28-2016, 11:35 AM.

Comment

rematch will be lower because of the robbery

Comment

Originally posted by SplitSecond View Post
        I think Golovkin is fairly close to him at this point. That's why the fight would sell a mil. Golovkin on his own sold 150K PPV, compare that to the battle between p4p'ers in Ward and Kova which had relatively plenty of promotion. Golovkin did 600k vs Brook, and tell me if I'm reaching but, a lot of Golovkin highlights have over 1-2mil, within a year, which is about the same if not better than Alvarez's highlights.
        UK fights have no bearing on US PPV potential. You can sell just about anything on PPV here for £17.

Joshua vs Molina is on PPV here for flip sake.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott. Weiland View Post
          I think I'm inclined to agree with Dunn here NEET, Floyd built himself a profile, Manny went out and was on a serious tear for years the good boy of boxing and the Christ figure to the Anti-Christ (Floyd), Dude also has an entire continent behind him too and Floyd insulted him at every opportunity, 'I'm gonna have that yellow bastard cook me sushi' of whatever he said !

The onus is on the fighter.

I do feel Pac and May destroyed the ppv's for boxing and it only appears to be flourishing in the UK right now where Hearn has posters like Laced Up and The Plunger Man in the palm of his hands, the Brits will pay to taste anything you place in their mouths.

I find these guys far more interesting but it just doesn't translate into big viewing figures, casuals want smack talk and fences between fighters at weigh ins, Chisora vs Whyte is being used to as the co main event to help sell Joshua vs Molina, work that shyt out !
          But surely the promoter should be held accountable for the promotion. It's their job title ffs! The fighter just needs to fight, unless they self-promote like Mayweather did towards the end. Floyd really is an exceptional case and he went above and beyond the call of duty to keep his name out there. He must have spent as much energy promoting himself as he did on training

Anyway, I haven't heard anything about Kovalev and Ward ever turning down interviews, their promoters are simply not organising them on the right platforms or with enough regularity or drawing enough attention to the ones they do take

Kovalev is funnier than Floyd or Pac and Ward is more articulate than either of them. There was a really obvious Russian bogeyman vs. American golden boy narrative that could have been spun for this fight, but no one did

Comment

Originally posted by SplitSecond View Post
            I think Golovkin is fairly close to him at this point. That's why the fight would sell a mil. Golovkin on his own sold 150K PPV, compare that to the battle between p4p'ers in Ward and Kova which had relatively plenty of promotion. Golovkin did 600k vs Brook, and tell me if I'm reaching but, a lot of Golovkin highlights have over 1-2mil, within a year, which is about the same if not better than Alvarez's highlights.
            Brook did that number in the UK, it wasn't PPV in the US.

At this point, if you're doing a PPV and Canelo isn't on the card then it's going to bomb.

Comment

Originally posted by NEETzsche View Post
              And Manny Pacquiao and Floyd Mayweather are so charismatic?

Kovalev's interviews are always full of funny **** and Ward is an articulate guy. Go dredge up some of their rare interviews on YouTube or BoxingScene's front page or something. Your misconception of them as boring is due to the promoters' failure to provide them with an adequate platform
              You are missing my point and using words I didn't. When did I say either was boring?

Floyd was far more charismatic then either but he wasn't selling, same with Manny. Then, with the ODH fight, Floyd learned how to sell himself and a fight to the mainstream and Manny captured the fans attention. Where is the ODH for either Ward or Kov?

It's easy to suggest the promotion spend more and give them a platform like 24/7. I don't see how the 2 of them could make people watch for 2-3 episodes.

Comment

Oh well... I got my money's worth ... good luck when Ward wants even more $$$ for the rematch though

Comment

Doubt the rematch will be on ppv which is good for us.

Comment

Boxing IS F#CKED! WOW! Then again the event wasn't promoted all that well then just a week before that fight most people spent their money on UFC 205 which did 1.6 Million.

Boxing is just not interesting and nobody is going to give up the amount of money that Boxing ask for these PPV's for guys Casuals don't even ***ing know, care about or find anything interesting about them. Casuals need more than a bunch of Knockouts and a Undefeated Record, these guys sorry but most of boxing currently the fighters are not interesting and they don't sell themselves to Casuals so Casuals stop watching and turn to UFC because it is a guy like McGregor who is on ESPN the entire week leading up to his fight because HE IS INTERESTING even when he is not fighting.

I'm a Hardcore boxing fans but I can't say the last 2 Weeks did anything Positive for the sport considering how hyped up those fight was among us the boxing fans
                    Last edited by sicko; 11-28-2016, 11:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by NaijaD View Post
                      UK fights have no bearing on US PPV potential. You can sell just about anything on PPV here for £17.

Joshua vs Molina is on PPV here for flip sake.
                      Golovkin is bigger than he was. And like I said, he sold 150k basically by himself when relating it to Ward Kovalev which had more promotions, more good word of mouth for it between 2 p4p's. Vs Jacobs he can sell about 200-300k with Jacobs in the US.

Comment

Working...
                      X