Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Andre Ward-Sergey Kovalev PPV Show Barely Cracked 160K Buys

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• **** Pay per view. I have an Amazon fire stick and watch all pay per views, hbo , showtime boxing, UFC , for free not to mention all of the patriots game .

Comment

• The figure is not low. It is about what I expected. I believe this number larger than what the Canelo/Smith PPV drew, in spite of what De La Hoya claimed. I also believe it is about same as the numbers that Pacquaio/Vargas drew in their PPV, in spite of what Arum claimed.

PPV is designed for boxers who are not just superstars in talent, but also superstars in popularity. Fans can choose not to believe this, but it is true. Neither Ward nor Kovalev are superstars in terms of popularity. Neither is any other active boxer. That is why no PPV featuring any active boxer will ever draw more than 500,000 PPVs.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sadiqkingofko View Post
        Damn lol, so I guess Canelo is really the only PPV star
        Canelo is the star of $10 tickets and inflated PPV numbers.

There are no PPV stars in boxing today and there won't be for the next 10 years.

Comment

• Originally posted by Illmatic94 View Post

these numbers are horrendous man. every successful PPV must draw in the casuals. i guess they weren't interested in the real life drago/creed matchup. .gotta go back to the drawing board. all PPVs afrer floyd/pac have underperformed..that fight was the death blow to the PPV platform, casuals were disgusted at the event itself and the aftermath of excuses, a $400,000,000 dud..the aftershocks are still being felt. .the last hope is ggg vs canelo, a knockout artist vs a fan friendly marketable mexican star, if that sht bombs then it's time to scrap PPV and just keep all fights on regular t.v.
          The Good, The Bad and The Ugly ....Outlaw Josey wells ....A Fist Full Of Dollars....Gran Torino.....but yeah you are correct The Dud Of The Century really hurt boxing ....floyd has always been a marketing illusion a ploy if you will... that was fed to the people as chicken salad but in reality it was all chicken $#!+.....when HBO was gonna match him up tough he retired ....then he walked over to showtime and chicken $#!+ buffet continued till The Dud Of The Century......Fool Me Once shame on you....fool me twice shame on me....fool me again and I already like it......You cant fool everybody all the time and too much crying wolf hurt the sport to the point that when you have a.decent ppv (real wolves).the.people dont come....and the few that came left.knowing there was a.robbery....I discouraged all my friends from The Dud Of The Century.....I invited them to the Crawford vs Postol fight and they were not impressed.....the only fight that impressed them that nite was the oscar valdez kid but I told the ladies not to get to excited because that kid moonlights as a boxer but during the day he does gardening......
          Last edited by TexasCowBoy; 11-28-2016, 08:23 PM.

Comment

• Not a surprise. Boxing ppv numbers have been **** ever since the fallout and disappointment from the pac/floyd fight. Was anyone really expecting evil russian vs worlds most boring fighter to buck the trend?

Comment

• Originally posted by Patsfan bri View Post
              **** Pay per view. I have an Amazon fire stick and watch all pay per views, hbo , showtime boxing, UFC , for free not to mention all of the patriots game .
              Greatest thing ever invented aint it LMFAO

Comment

• Are the numbers really that bad, or are the fighters simply asking for too much cash?

Comment

• Originally posted by big_james10 View Post
                  The figure is not low. It is about what I expected. I believe this number larger than what the Canelo/Smith PPV drew, in spite of what De La Hoya claimed. I also believe it is about same as the numbers that Pacquaio/Vargas drew in their PPV, in spite of what Arum claimed.

PPV is designed for boxers who are not just superstars in talent, but also superstars in popularity. Fans can choose not to believe this, but it is true. Neither Ward nor Kovalev are superstars in terms of popularity. Neither is any other active boxer. That is why no PPV featuring any active boxer will ever draw more than 500,000 PPVs.
                  Not quite true. True in the sense that the price of PPV is arguably the main reason why numbers are so low across the board. It's why Golovkin/Brook did 500k because UK's PPV prices are so much lower. If people had to shell out at least half of what's being paid for PPV's now, I'd be fairly confident that people wouldn't mind purchasing fights.
                  Last edited by AKAcronym; 11-28-2016, 08:34 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by sicko View Post
                    Greatest thing ever invented aint it LMFAO
                    I sure like it.

Comment

• That's a real shame for both guys

Comment

Working...
                      X