Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did Walters throw the fight?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i was in and out of consciousness while watching the fight, i barely saw it, but the ending looked weird.

The rational part of my brain says: he was being outclassed and possibly hurt with some shots realised he was out of his depth and gave up.

The conspiratorial part of my brain says: Boxing is rotten to the core and that looked dodgy af, the odds were too long @1/7 to bet on loma so someone made a HELL of alot of money by betting on round 7, the fact walters INSISTED it ended there and then and made no attempt at another round or 2 was clear that he was in on it and it was fixed before the fight on round 7 finish.

Also on the same day i noticed Terry Flanaghan V **** Cruz looked equally dodgy.

Terry was seemingly taking it easy on Cruz until suddenly he came on all guns blazing and ended when he wanted. The camera was focusing on his corner inbetween rounds and there was some extremely dodgy sounding conversation going on about making sure you end it now, and the camera cut away.

He literally ran out and stopped it within 10 seconds....

Comment

Originally posted by Derranged View Post
      DISCLAIMER: This is in no way an attempt to take away from Loma's win.

I am a Loma fan and I wanted him to win. Loma is obviously one of the most talented boxers in the world and I truly believe he is a special talent. I even predicted that he would outbox Walters and that Walters would have a lot of trouble landing, so I wasn't too surprised from what I saw during the fight. Walters inactivity was also a factor. But the manner in which Walters quit seemed odd. He was hurt in the last round but you'd think that he'd at the very least take a minute to recover. He literally jumped off his stool, ran over to the ref to quit. I've never seen something like that before.

Also I found it interesting how Loma gestured at Walters as they both walked to their corners in the second round, almost like he was telling him to go down. Was that the signal? Would that have been too obvious?

What say you, ********s?
      ah come on bro don't go down this road. this is the kinda **** you end up regretting months later. The best way to throw a fight is to make it look natural; go down from a body shot. Loma is cut from a different cloth...like i don't think US boxing fans understand it to begin with. Guys like Loma and Golovkin perceive trash talk as empty and childish; they're offended when the public believes it. I don't think it's really trash talk, but I know some Russian, and Lomachenko got annoyed every time a reporter would say, "Walters said he's going to knock you out" - the same way he gets annoyed when reporters claim Salido will give him a rematch (Loma believes they're pulling the public's chain and their negotiations thus far have not been serious). So that gesture at the end of the fight was Loma's response like, 'you're done, this fight is over.' In a post fight interview he said, "this guy said he's a gladiator, he's going to do this and that, but I lost all respect for him for quitting, he's nothing."

With each passing round Loma looked like he was turning it up notch by notch - rounds 8-12 would have just gotten worse for Walters and I think Loma was looking for a spectacular finish; Walters robbed him of that. Loma might be more offended by the outcome than any boxing fan today.

Comment

Rumor has it that this is Walter's last fight with Bob Arum and I think that one of 3 things could've happend:

1) Walters just pulled a no mas after he felt humiliated
        2) Walters and Arum had that as a deal so that Walters gets to leave and go with Al Haymon and make real money there
        3) Walters knew he was going to Haymon anyways so he tried to leave with the least damage possible, he thought quitting is better than getting beaten down for his future.

We will never know, we've seen Walters get robbed in his last fight which was reportedly his last fight with Arum, we've seen him turn down an offer yet to accept a lesser offer later after a long layoff, and we've seen a lot of fighters get shelved or shafted by Arum after showing desire to leave him, we will never know, all we know is that Lomachenko is a tremendous fighter and he deserves all the credit in the world for his win regardless of all the politics.

Comment

Originally posted by JmH Reborn View Post
          Victor Ortiz at least went out going to war - that can never be taken from him

Comment

This is why there should be an investigation, Walters purse should be suspended and possibly even Walters license.

Comment

Working...
            X