Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

James "Boilermaker" Jeffries - The ORIGINAL "Great White Hope" Appreciation Thread

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by billeau2 View Post
    Willis is often lionized again, look up his age, whom he lost to, whom he fought...Did you know they fought a common opponent whom Dempsey beat? Willis lost... Also, Dempsey did not have the say in whom he fought as much as people think. Blame the media. They made it abhorent for him to fight the guys you mention above. He was marketed to make money because him and Babe Ruth became the first sports superstars in many respects.

Also, if memory serves correct, many of the guys above were pretty old at this time? There may have been some good fights to be made, but not sure if it was that wide open. And Willis, whom I am quite fond of, was a bit hyped regrding Dempsey if the truth be known.
    Wills was born in 1889 he was in his prime when Dempsey got the title... I don't do triangle theories....Dempsey lost to Willie Meehan...wills beat him, they have other common opponent's n were prime in the same era

McVey, Langford n comp were past it in the 20s...wills was in the mix until 1926

George Godfrey who was born 1897 was also one of the best an "colored" heavyweight champ.

Dempsey drew the color line bro....he was a product of his era

Comment

Originally posted by therealpugilist View Post
      Damn gramps 100+ years strong lol
      Green K Sent

Comment

Wills was born in 1889 he was in his prime when Dempsey got the title... I don't do triangle theories....Dempsey lost to Willie Meehan...wills beat him, they have other common opponent's n were prime in the same era

McVey, Langford n comp were past it in the 20s...wills was in the mix until 1926

George Godfrey who was born 1897 was also one of the best an "colored" heavyweight chamap.

Dempsey drew the color line bro....he was a product of his era
        Luis Angel Firpo, the wild bull of Pompus... A common opponent. I mean if your going to hype Willis, research the guy. Firpo was pretty crude...he did manage to throw Dempsey out of the ring and then was Ko'ed lol. Willis lost to him. Triangle theory is like most things, it can give us some information.

You said Dempsey was a product of his era and that is a true statement. Its also important to realize that Dempsey saw himself as oppressed. White, scotch, English irish stock with nothing but his craft to get by on. I doubt he saw himself as having the vantage point of the grand oppressor, although I can't judge...my own point being that of a half Jewish half gentile, eastern euro, Russian mutt who comes from a middle class but well educated family. Most of the kids I grew up with were Puerto Rican and Black, poor to middle class, but none of us had to fight to eat supper.

Comment

Originally posted by Redd Foxx View Post
          Modern boxers have started ruining the sport with clinching doe...
          damn watching that video makes me view Pulev as a mexican syle warrior

Comment

Originally posted by Sadiqkingofko View Post
            damn watching that video makes me view Pulev as a mexican syle warrior
            Pulev
            Warrior

Pick one.

Comment

he wasnt the only one.....Stanley Ketchell, Bombardier Wells, so many of them

they were so butthurt, america exiled the man because they couldnt stand the best fighter in the world to be a black man...now thats some real weak, inferiority riddled BS
              ¨the best fighter in the world¨?

you mean the best fighter in murica

U.S fighters never proved to be the best in the world before the fall of the iron curtain

your boxers were safely protected from fighting the great fighters from the soviet union and the communist nations like Cuba for decades

as soon as those nations were able to compete profesionally, your dominance at HW was over, the Klitschkos reign showed the world who were the real champs.

Politics and corruption are the reason most of the boxing legends are murican, but Igor Vysotsky and Teofilo Stevenson would have flattened the likes of Ali, Frazier and Foreman. U.S boxing history is smoke and mirrors

Comment

Originally posted by lopetego View Post
                ¨the best fighter in the world¨?

you mean the best fighter in murica

U.S fighters never proved to be the best in the world before the fall of the iron curtain

your boxers were safely protected from fighting the great fighters from the soviet union and the communist nations like Cuba for decades

as soon as those nations were able to compete profesionally, your dominance at HW was over, the Klitschkos reign showed the world who were the real champs.

Politics and corruption are the reason most of the boxing legends are murican, but Igor Vysotsky and Teofilo Stevenson would have flattened the likes of Ali, Frazier and Foreman. U.S boxing history is smoke and mirrors
                those pre 1950s "world champions" werent champions in your eyes as well? considering majority wouldnt defend vs blacks, latinos and asians

Comment

Comment

Imagine if a monster like Jeffries fought McGregor. LMAO.

Comment

Working...
                    X