Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Official: "SOG" Ward vs "King" Kovalev II Fight Discussion Thread

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ward adapted and took the first fight back. I expect him to do the same between fights and take the rematch by a wider margin.

Comment

Originally posted by Redd Foxx View Post
      Ward adapted and took the first fight back. I expect him to do the same between fights and take the rematch by a wider margin.
      I think so too. Kovalev didnt show too much knowledge of knowing how to fight on the inside. Most of the time he grabbed Ward's arms and just pushed him onto the ropes. Also, for the next fight Ward will be more experienced at the weight and knows what it feels like to be hit by a top LHW.

Comment

Originally posted by .:: JSFD26 ::. View Post
        I think so too. Kovalev didnt show too much knowledge of knowing how to fight on the inside. Most of the time he grabbed Ward's arms and just pushed him onto the ropes. Also, for the next fight Ward will be more experienced at the weight and knows what it feels like to be hit by a top LHW.
        The one thing I hammered over and over in predicting this was that you can't develop an inside game in 1 camp. Kovalev did get in a few good shots but noting to compare to Ward's punishment and sneaky shots on the inside, esp when they were transitioning.

Kovalev is fast for a powerful man. I think that's his asset against Ward, being able to throw power quickly. But, those qualities fade as a fight wears on and then it's about the science. He didn't change his style much to fight Andre Ward the first time and they were about as 50/50 as you can get. I doubt he will change the 2nd time either and that will be the difference.

Comment

I think Ward wins a comfortable UD the second time around. He's an extremely intelligent fighter and won't get smashed in the first few rounds like he did on Saturday.

by the way, Ward-Kovalev II will have the Ring Magazine belt on the line by virtue of them now being ranked 1 and 2 in the division.

Comment

I picked Kovalev by KO. He will go all out for a KO because he no longer trusts the judges. I think he will succeed.

Comment

Ward gets a convincing UD in a rematch

Comment

Originally posted by boliodogs View Post
                I picked Kovalev by KO. He will go all out for a KO because he no longer trusts the judges. I think he will succeed.
                Yea, I think we see a ferocious Kovalev this time.

Comment

I'm pretty confident betting on Kovalev now.

Before they fought, it was a question of whether or not Ward was much more skillful or whether Kov was that much more powerful. In a rematch, I think it's much easier for Kovalev to make adjustments than it is for Ward.

Comment

Originally posted by j0zef View Post
                    I'm pretty confident betting on Kovalev now.

Before they fought, it was a question of whether or not Ward was much more skillful or whether Kov was that much more powerful. In a rematch, I think it's much easier for Kovalev to make adjustments than it is for Ward.
                    Well said. Good post.

Comment

Ward pulled out all the tricks in the book to squeak out a questionable win!

Kov didn't throw body shots till the last round and it really affected Ward and I expect JDJ to instruct him to come in behind the jab and unload bodyshots as his will do more damage and take Ward's legs late!

Ward showed a chin and toughness never before and had to dig deeper than he ever has against a p4p top elite opponent in his prime!.

Didn't expect Kov to be the better boxer on the outside but it will pay huge dividends in the rematch as now Kov knows Ward can't stop him from the outside and to also push for the KO more this time around instead of just boxing!

Going with Kov

Comment

Working...
                      X