How Great Is Virgil Hunter?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How come it didn't work for Khan?

Comment

Thought he was great. Compare him to JDJ who I thought was way too calm and IMO wasnt giving Kovalev a proper representation of how the fight was going

Love JDJ btw, just Sat night I think he dropped the ball a bit probably thinking they were further ahead than they were.

Comment

Originally posted by WesternChamp View Post
        How come it didn't work for Khan?
        Because Khan isnt that good. Same with Berto and Angulo. Especially at the stage Hunter got hold of them.

Trainers can only do so much. The fighter is the one who walks the walk

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Cruise View Post
          Because Khan isnt that good. Same with Berto and Angulo. Especially at the stage Hunter got hold of them.

Trainers can only do so much. The fighter is the one who walks the walk
          Thank you...

Comment

Originally posted by deathofaclown View Post
            He's a great motivator!

Is it just me, or does he very very rarely give any actual instructions between rounds? I can't really recall him doing that ever.

I get that with Ward he probably doesn't need to so much. But i noticed with Berto and Khan he rarely gives them instructions when they probably actually need it sometimes.
            Lol doesnt matter what you say to Khan hes getting ktfo whatever he says ha.

Comment

Thought he was great. Compare him to JDJ who I thought was way too calm and IMO wasnt giving Kovalev a proper representation of how the fight was going

Love JDJ btw, just Sat night I think he dropped the ball a bit probably thinking they were further ahead than they were.
              yeah..jdj...to me isn't that good...he has a great understanding of the fundamentals but I just don't see him as a "great" trainer...the knockdown was the worse thing to happen for kov because him and his crew thought the fight was won then...but andre got up off of the canvas...

Comment

Originally posted by Redd Foxx View Post
                Rarely specific punch instructions. He might guide them to be mindful of footwork, defense, remind them of what they went over in traininge or tell them what he sees in the opponent.
                Otherwise, he's more focused on his fighter's mental state.
                This ^^^^

There were only 1 or 2 instances between rounds where he asked him to increase his jab & faint more but the rest were all about motivation & mental state.. Once Ward came to the corner after the KD, Virgil took Ward's mind & focus off Kovalev & told him to be strong. In the later rounds it was all about go win each round & about champion stuff.. THey have that Comradery that works & that's that..
                Virgil cannot instill the same with Berto or Khan.. So his & Ward combination is special..

Comment

I think it was also the fact that Kovalev was taking the instructions from the asst. Trainer instead.. I remember seeing a round where JDJ wanted to say something & Kovalev stopped him to listen to his Russian Trainer.. Couldn't be anything in specific, but I found it odd though..

Comment

Originally posted by BoxingFan85 View Post
                    I think it was also the fact that Kovalev was taking the instructions from the asst. Trainer instead.. I remember seeing a round where JDJ wanted to say something & Kovalev stopped him to listen to his Russian Trainer.. Couldn't be anything in specific, but I found it odd though..
                    Yeah I noticed that. Maybe something in what Hunter was saying pre fight about their being tension between Kovalev and JDJ. Kovalevs english is pretty good so I doubt that was an issue

Comment

Yeah I noticed that. Maybe something in what Hunter was saying pre fight about their being tension between Kovalev and JDJ. Kovalevs english is pretty good so I doubt that was an issue
                      Yep.. I doubted some rumors could be true too.. He is your main guy why wouldn't you listen to him.. & the interesting part after that was JDJ did not speak much after that even when Kov was losing some rounds & was tired..

Comment

Working...
                      X