No announcement yet.

Boxing produces yet another disgusting Display

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boxing produces yet another disgusting Display

From Mayweather v Pacquiao last year, which was a sparring session between two multi-millionaires to the supposed "fight for the hardcore" we had last night, boxing has turned into a joke.

This has probably been the worst 18 month period in my life time for the sport, at a time when the heavyweight champion has spent more time on coke then in the ring and there hasn't been a single stand out ppv.

Last night was the lowest of the low. First off, there was the incomprehensible robbery of Hooker v Perez and then came Ward v Kovalev. This is a title fight for the WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP yet every important official involved was an American? This would be ok if both fighters were non-American but the challenger, the darling of the promotion was ... that's right American.

That stinks right off the bat.

This is not only bad for Kovalev, who in the eyes of most will still be champion but it is yet another low brow advertisement for a sport which is suffering and on life support in it's spiritual home of the USA.

I mean, last night wasn't even that close.

Gareth Davies from The Telegraph, who probably do the best reporting on boxing here in the UK, had rounds 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 8 and 10 for Kovalev. That's 7 rounds, at least for of which are clear (rounds 1, 2, 3 and 6). The 5 remaining rounds Ward won, had only one clear imo and that's the last one. Round 11 was good but I gave it to Ward. The other 3 rounds could have gone either way or even.

Kovalev won and in the eyes of most who know the sport, he won clearly.

I for one would not like a rematch unless it takes place with all 3 judges being non-American, the ref being non-American and strict controls and watch over what the judges are up to in fight week and where they are going/who they are meeting.

Comment

the sport is a joke

Comment

last night was a great night for boxing, one that will go down in history.

i can see someone having kovalev winning for sure, but all this moaning about how its a fix, disgusting, horrible for boxing etc is just childish.

anyone can see this was a close fight, anyone who knows boxing understands that people not only look at things differently but look for different things.

people who score fights for a living generally know how to score fights, most so called fans dont. defense scores points, as does ring generalship and bodyshots which sometimes it takes a trained eye to see when they land. just like how clean and damaging any blow truly is.

if nothing else people should be able to be man enough to agree to disagree. i pity the people who couldnt enjoy that great, great night of boxing.

Comment

I don't know if it would have made a difference, but an American ref and three American judges is ridiculous in a fight like this one. For the sake of the sport's own legitimacy you shouldn't have shi*t like that, which inevitably fuels accusations of a fix.

Comment

As soon as I saw the Perez fight being scored a draw, I said 'Kovalev is not getting a decision on this card'.

To me he clearly won the fight by dominating the first half of the fight (won 5 of the first 6 rounds) while Ward looked genuinely scared at times.

In both fights, the foreign fighter was unfairly treated in favour of the American fighter on the American network.

Comment

Just saw that of the eighteen scores handed in for the second half of the fight, only ONE was given to Kovalev. So only one judge of the three saw a single round for Kovalev from rounds 7-12. That is absolute bollocks. How could you have such unanimity in such close rounds. Crazy.

Comment

I I told everyone this would happen, but people were disrespectful and labelled me a troll. I said kov would drop him early and people would be shocked at how bad ward would look, and It would go the distance. I I said don't put any money on it after I saw the four American officials. Boxing is predictably corrupt

Comment

Originally posted by #1Assassin View Post
                  last night was a great night for boxing, one that will go down in history.

i can see someone having kovalev winning for sure, but all this moaning about how its a fix, disgusting, horrible for boxing etc is just childish.

anyone can see this was a close fight, anyone who knows boxing understands that people not only look at things differently but look for different things.

people who score fights for a living generally know how to score fights, most so called fans dont. defense scores points, as does ring generalship and bodyshots which sometimes it takes a trained eye to see when they land. just like how clean and damaging any blow truly is.

if nothing else people should be able to be man enough to agree to disagree. i pity the people who couldnt enjoy that great, great night of boxing.
                  Defense scores points? Um, yeah, when it actually works. Defense doesn't score points when you're surviving, and getting outpunched, and then randomly land a couple body shots.

Wtf are you talking about like Ward put on some masterclass defensive performance? Are you serious right now? Ward didn't do **** with his defense, he landed a few body shots that slowed Kovalev down and Kovalev STILL landed not only harder shots, but more. He was out jabbing Ward and snapping his headback and landing just as many body shots at Ward.

You've gotta be kidding

Comment

Originally posted by bigdramashow View Post
                    I I told everyone this would happen, but people were disrespectful and labelled me a troll. I said kov would drop him early and people would be shocked at how bad ward would look, and It would go the distance. I I said don't put any money on it after I saw the four American officials. Boxing is predictably corrupt
                    fuk those people. you were right you called it dude.three american judges and an american ref it was obvious.

Comment

Working...
                    X