No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Andre Ward Gets Off The Floor, Decisions Sergey Kovalev

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Johnwoo8686 View Post
    Ward's ring IQ is on par with Floyd Mayweather's but he is nowhere near as gifted athletically as Floyd is. Andre was in the way of Kovalevs right hand way too often where Floyd wouldn't have been because he stays on his toes constantly. In order for Ward to have won this fight clearly he would have had to use the same gameplan Floyd used for the Canelo fight but Ward doesn't have the footspeed or timing to pull that off.

well said !

the thing is, Ward was a little underdone for that fight..... he really needed 1-2 fights against more suitable opposition under his belt before Kovalev..... especially following inactivity and a move to 175

I don't think he had a lot of options

Ward will be MUCH better in his next fight, he needed those those tough rounds..... it will not get any easier for Kovalev in the rematch that's for sure, he can expect to face a much sharper Ward who has already had a real good look at him

Comment

• Originally posted by PhilPhilly View Post
      Great technical fight, with superb use of feints and traps from both sides. Ward won the last 6 rounds on my card.. so scored it 115 - 112 to Ward.

Adjusted superbly, confidence rose, speed was showing up in the latter rounds due to kov slowing down and body shots, elite mentality to hold on and find a way after the knockdown in round 2. ..

Kov started very well, however what cost him this fight is lack of pressure, did not adjust and his ring cutting ability was awful. Needs tips on GGG on how to walk down a fighter, was really disappointed on that.
      Hopefully he changes his mind when he watches the fight back.

Don't see how people are calling this a robbery, ward won, Perez was robbed ******ly.
      No need for a rematch, Ward v Stevenson next to unify the division, if he wins that, best super middle of all time without a question
      Good analysis. I thought that Perez robbery was the WORST ive seen in awhile.

Comment

• Originally posted by sicko View Post
        Too CLOSE to scream Robbery for me but again I thought Champ knockdown should've allowed him to keep his belts with at 114-114 on all cards. But look NOTHING BUT RESPECT to BOTH FIGHTERS I came in with respect for both for just dong this fight I leave even bigger fans of both but A LOT of love for Kovalev who is a DREAM Combination of Skills and Power that man is the TRUTH both of them are. Kind of a Leonard vs Hearns scenario here, these two shall meet again for sure and with Roc Nation the Lead Promotion I think the rematch is going to be EVEN BIGGER!

Thank BOTH for a Great Fight that lived up to the HYPE! THANK YOU! Boxing so needed that!
        I had Kovalev win rounds 1, 2, 4, and 7, I had Ward win 3, 5, 6, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12. Now round 3 I could see going to Kovalev but I thought he lost that round.

People are crying robbery because of how much Kovalev dominated the first 2- rounds and round 4, neglecting to consider that fights are scored round by round.

Ward took many of those rounds with a stiff jab to the head and the body, and some left hooks that stunned Kovalev, some of those stiff jabs to the head staggered him too.

There was also some great body work from Ward and making Kovalev miss by inches. I think the fact that Kovalev lost 4 rounds or five rounds in a row from round 8-12 also messed up his chances.

He fought like one of these boxing fans, getting high on his early success and forgetting that a fight is fought over twelve, individually scored rounds.

A rematch is certainly in order though. It will be better I think. Ward will definitely not start as slow as he did today and Kovalev will not fade like he did either. The rematch will be better but probably less definitive because I think it will be tight again.

Comment

• 0 judges gave Kovalev the 10th.....why am i not surprised.....looking for every excuse to give it to Ward...

Comment

• Originally posted by RetroSpeed05 View Post
            For ward to win he had to win 8 rounds cause of the kd. Did anyone really give ward more then 6?
            No you have to give 7 to ward for him to win the fight... with the KD it looks like a 7-6 rather than a 7-5 if you score 7 rounds for Ward. Which is feasible.

Regardless, it was a great close fight.

Comment

• Originally posted by hhs661 View Post
              Clearly.. And a ton of respect to kov. He's still top 5 p4p

But tonight is about the greatest nation with the greatest fighter today
              They won't give Ward P4P #1. The fight was too close and since most fans hate Ward their screams of robbery will prevent his ascension. It's not all bad though, we should see them fight again in 2017.

Comment

• Originally posted by JaguaresMx View Post
                Except he didn't. I get that he slowed down the second half. But Ward didn't exactly take him to deep waters or test his will, nothing of the sort. He just sort of hang in there, threw a few jabs, landed some body shots at the end of clinches...and..well, just sort of stuck around. Kovalev still managed to land way harder shots.

I think at the end of the day Kovalev will regret not being more aggressive to put it beyond the judges. If we're honest, and roles reverse, Ward wins a 120-108 decision.

But we give credit to Ward for hanging in there and doing cool stuff that accomplished little but slow down the fight
                But that's my point, it appears Kovalev is not a twelve round fighter. Wards jabs to the body was enough to drown him....and this is the undisputed champion....he couldn't maintain his stamina in a fight where he could have easily won if he could have just fought the full three minutes in a couple of the latter rounds.

Comment

• Had it 7-5 Kovalev plus the KD. Great fight either way. Much respect to Ward and Kovalev.

Comment

• Originally posted by HI-TECH Boxing View Post
                    Ward needed to win 8 rounds to win the fight. There is no way he won 8 rounds or even 7.
                    He didn't do enough to beat the Champion. Even the punch stats favor Kovalev. The pro-Ward crowd was silent for most of the fight. I mean....

#Anti-Ward
                    #Don'tsupportanythingAndreWard
                    #Don'tletWardgetanyofyourmoney
                    #Don'tmakeWardanyricher
                    #Don'tbuytherematch
                    Honestly if the roles reversed, Ward fans the judges/crowd would have called it a dominant, once in a generation 120-108 assault on Kovalev.

The problem is that we all have these narratives that shape how we judge fights. Ward just needs to do a few things and Kovalev must KO to win.

Comment

• I'm astounded by the amount of people saying Kovalev won the fight because he landed more punches. Fights are scored on a round by round basis fellas, Kovalev started the fight very strong and won some rounds by clear margins, whereas the rounds Dre won were by smaller margins.

Comment

Working...
                      X