Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Ward capable of outboxing Kovalev on the back foot?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Ward capable of outboxing Kovalev on the back foot?

I'm a bit skeptical to say the least. I think Kovalev is being flagrantly overlooked by some Ward fans. I think that if Kovalev proves to be too strong for Ward on the inside that this fight could be over before it begins. Ward's best and possibly only"real" chance at victory is to attempt to smother Kovalev on the inside.

Originally posted by frantic fighter View Post
    Is Ward capable of outboxing Kovalev on the back foot?

I'm a bit skeptical to say the least. I think Kovalev is being flagrantly overlooked by some Ward fans. I think that if Kovalev proves to be too strong for Ward on the inside that this fight could be over before it begins. Ward's best and possibly only"real" chance at victory is to attempt to smother Kovalev on the inside.
    ... in case Kovalev avoids Ward's "inside working", and manages to push him back, SOG is finished...

Comment

Told you fools yesterday
      Ward will jab,clinch and headbutt his way to victory
      Andre got this

Comment

Originally posted by MDPopescu View Post
        ... in case Kovalev avoids Ward's "inside working", and manages to push him back, SOG is finished...
        Ward isn't a traditional boxer like Mayweather, I don't think that his style translates as well when fighting as the smaller man. This fight will definitely be interesting.

Comment

He doesn't work that way. He's always moving forward to counter and if he wants space after a counter, he fades to the side rather than going back, most of the time. His strong inside game gives him a lot of options and, most of the time, he'd rather close that distance than keep backing up.

Kovalev relies on guys to back up and get cornered as he cuts off the ring so it will require some adjustment on his part.

Comment

He could. Until he gets caught by that quick right hand. Then he could be in trouble. But if he can avoid getting fuked up by that right, he probably can.

Comment

100% right, ward is going to win this fight based on his strength and inside ability to smother opponents. That's all he needs to do.

I honestly believe Kovalev doesn't have that much strength in those situations. People tend to forget that in the first pascal fight that Kovalev was getting pushed back on occassion and looked completely unsure in those situations

It didn't happen often but it happened enough for even the biased commentators to take note lol

Comment

Ward isn't a traditional boxer like Mayweather, I don't think that his style translates as well when fighting as the smaller man. This fight will definitely be interesting.
                Ward is a great athlete and an intelligent fighter... But Ward doesn't hold a "style", per se... Instead, Ward is capable of mimicking several styles...

Comment

Originally posted by SplitSecond View Post
                  He could. Until he gets caught by that quick right hand. Then he could be in trouble. But if he can avoid getting fuked up by that right, he probably can.
                  I don't think that he could,it just isn't his style. He has really short arms and prefers to fight at close quarters,not to mention that he would be running the risk of ending up on the wrong end of Kovalev's power.

Comment

Originally posted by Redd Foxx View Post
                    He doesn't work that way. He's always moving forward to counter and if he wants space after a counter, he fades to the side rather than going back, most of the time. His strong inside game gives him a lot of options and, most of the time, he'd rather close that distance than keep backing up.

Kovalev relies on guys to back up and get cornered as he cuts off the ring so it will require some adjustment on his part.
                    It'll definitely take some adjustments on both sides,whoever manages to control real estate, likely wins.

Comment

Working...
                    X