No announcement yet.

Margarito vs Cotto Plaster myth

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by alexguiness View Post
    Personally I have been skeptical of the plaster accusations for the reason being that if they were plaster and as hard as many like to make out, then Cotto would have been busted up ALOT more than he was.

I'm no expert - but it would (IMO) be the equivalent of someone have something like a knuckleduster inside the glove, and that would still be able to inflict significant damage from the start of the fight.

That fact and the fact that Cotto is a sore ass loser makes me skeptical.
    But he was busted up like never before from the featherfisted Margo-Cheato!!!

Comment

Originally posted by sugar ray lenrd View Post
      But he was busted up like never before from the featherfisted Margo-Cheato!!!
      Yes, Tony's ferocious power was often compared to Paulies at 147.

Comment

Really doesn't matter what you believe, the guy was suspended for a year and his trainer banned for life in the Mosley incident. He wasn't charged with a crime because he was caught before using the tainted wraps. Had it been found after the Mosley fight, he would have been charged with a crime.

Comment

The belief of Margarito being a lifetime cheater even reached as far as manga (Japanese comics).

Comment

Originally posted by alexguiness View Post
            Yes, Tony's ferocious power was often compared to Paulies at 147.
            atleast we can agree on that...cause really who did Margarito KO at welter besides Cotto & Cintron? Conincidence...both of those tko wins were on cuts that he busted the face badly...imagine featherfisted Margo-Cheato...

Comment

Originally posted by sugar ray lenrd View Post
              Really???...no *****...huh??? GTFOH!!! And what the Fork was it that fell of his wraps onto the floor when Naz asked that they needed to unwrap the cloves because he wasn't present? Unlike Cotto's uncle & trainer, who efffed up royally by not asking them to re-wrap the gloves cuase just like w/ Mosley they wrapped the gloves without Evagelista (cotto's uncle) present. I see this happen alot at the fights (i'm a trainer), there are alot of trainers that like to wrap the hands up so quickly because they do have alterior motives cuase people are paying to much attention therefore there is this room for error. I'm not saying all trainers that arrive early do this, but some do.
              Let's look at the facts.

During the wrapping of Margs hands before the Mosley fight, Naazim objected several times and each time a commission official over ruled him. This is a trick Naazim has used in previous fights also and it's not unusual for him to pull it. Having said that, things got so bad that a number of officials turned up in Margs locker room.

Finally, as the right hand was finished, there seemed to be an irregularity in the wrapping of the left hand. Under the initial layer of gauze, an older and supposedly harder layer was found. This was then replaced. The right hand was also re-wrapped.

The extra piece of gauze was harder and commission officials say that it was covered in either sweat or water. There was also some dried blood on it. I'm not sure if the blood was ever tested.

That hardened piece of gauze was then taken to Mosley's locker room and numerous people touched it. If this was to take place in a criminal investigation, the evidence would be regarded as contaminated and unusable. That would effectively kill the trial.

Now, with the gauze, it was eventually found, after laboratory testing, to contain trace amounts of sulphur and something else. I can't remember what but both ingredients can be found in plaster of paris. However, it is important to note that it was not plaster.

In Margs defence, he said that those same substances can be found in types of hand cream. He is correct.

Now, was it only Capetillo involved in the hand wrap drama or was Marg in on it too? Because the old gauze was certainly harder than what you would expect. It wasn't plaster though. That is an important point.

That's all I'm trying to say here. The story has been blown out of proportion.

Comment

I always thought something was "off" when I saw the fight live, and was convinced he had loaded gloves after the drama broke before the Mosley fight. I did however see the rematch following the same pattern prior to it getting stopped, and that made me question my original conviction.

It doesn't matter anyway. He's a cheat, and deserves to have the his entire career questioned.

Comment

Originally posted by Canelo and GGG View Post
                  Why ppl spread this myth,which was never proven,some use it as excuse for Cotto,rumor says that Cotto wasnt trained well to this fight(was seen on partys),was chinny and got ****ed thats it.
                  this thread = quote magnet.

take this grip up with nevada. its not everyday a **** is not only accused of, but found guilty of altering his wraps.

imho, cement had nothing to do with the fluke. cotto had the wrong game plan. he wasted too much energy in the 1st 6 rds by bouncing around. once he gassed himself, the caveman did what anyone would do.

cotto easily corrected his mistake. he even told the caveman what he was going to do to him in the rematch.

Comment

Originally posted by soul_survivor View Post
                    Let's look at the facts.

During the wrapping of Margs hands before the Mosley fight, Naazim objected several times and each time a commission official over ruled him. This is a trick Naazim has used in previous fights also and it's not unusual for him to pull it. Having said that, things got so bad that a number of officials turned up in Margs locker room.

Finally, as the right hand was finished, there seemed to be an irregularity in the wrapping of the left hand. Under the initial layer of gauze, an older and supposedly harder layer was found. This was then replaced. The right hand was also re-wrapped.

The extra piece of gauze was harder and commission officials say that it was covered in either sweat or water. There was also some dried blood on it. I'm not sure if the blood was ever tested.

That hardened piece of gauze was then taken to Mosley's locker room and numerous people touched it. If this was to take place in a criminal investigation, the evidence would be regarded as contaminated and unusable. That would effectively kill the trial.

Now, with the gauze, it was eventually found, after laboratory testing, to contain trace amounts of sulphur and something else. I can't remember what but both ingredients can be found in plaster of paris. However, it is important to note that it was not plaster.

In Margs defence, he said that those same substances can be found in types of hand cream. He is correct.

Now, was it only Capetillo involved in the hand wrap drama or was Marg in on it too? Because the old gauze was certainly harder than what you would expect. It wasn't plaster though. That is an important point.

That's all I'm trying to say here. The story has been blown out of proportion.
                    Facts??? GTFOH with that crap. Then why did they report it? Let me take a guess, they wanted to ruin Margo-Cheato's image? Right the Lochness monster & bigfoot are celebrating thanksgiving over Elvis house...yeah ...ok...

Comment

There is proof that he cheated against Mosley, but there is no proof that he cheated against Cotto.

Cotto just couldn't handle the pressure and took a knee, it happens.

Comment

Working...
                      X