Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Andre Ward: Stevenson Has To "Ask Haymon" if He Can Fight

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stevenson would never fight a real threat, guy ducked Kovalev for many years and kept fighting trash. Only some degenerated NSB ******s defend the **** that happened with the pursebid where Kovalev had to pull out. Very very degenerated people who dont get the simplest logic or just pretend to be totally naive.

Comment

I like ward but calm the F down. Don't throw shots at the lineal champ. When you need 10 tune ups to fight a top ranked opponent

Comment

We gotta admit Al Haymon produce a lot of ducks and divas in the sport. Many of them are now fighting once a year. It's terrible.

Comment

Originally posted by DreamerUSA View Post
          I would sure like someone to point me to some videos that show how awesome Stevenson is because I've never seen it. Dude is the definition of one trick pony. His whole game plan is to sit there and tag you with lead lefts and to try and catch you with a counter left, that is literally 90% of the guys game. He might as well not even have his right arm attached to his body, no more than he throws rights. Even when he throws right hands he looks so uncomfortable throwing it that it is cringe worthy. Obviously the guys left hand is nuclear and if he catches you, there is a good chance that it is sleepy time, but aginst a Ward or a Kovalev he gets his ass handed to him. Both are enitirely to good to get beat by a one hand fighter.
          Stevenson's gameplan has been to land that left hand for as much of his career as anyone's been able to watch, yet he's consistently still been able to land that shot against every opponent he's fought.

There's a reason why the shot continues to land, and that's where things get interesting.

The "awesomeness" comes in starting to see all the little trips/traps that Stevenson uses to set up the money shot; good footwork/head movement (to have the opponent fall into the shot), good jab to the head/body (to occupy the hands), the incorporation of the lead hook (to give the opponent something else to worry about), better body work (to start to eliminate the incentive to simply sit on the inside), etc.

The left can land where Stevenson wants it to land from at least 6-7 different points (most of which require different types of tactics to neutralize).

Talk all the mess you want, a fight against Adonis Stevenson, for either guy, would be high speed chess (with a single mistake likely leaving the other fighter on their back, trying to figure how they can get back to their feet).

Comment

Andre Ward has the biggest fight of his career coming up this weekend. It's disrespectful to Kovalev to even be talking about another opponent at this stage.

There is no guarantee that Ward will even win on Saturday. 100% of his focus needs to be on the man he has immediately in front of him.

Comment

I view Stevenson suspiciously, but as a former Detroit resident, I always go with Kronk. As old as he is, he moves well in the ring. Cuts off the ring well. Knows how to deliver his one punch. He's a live threat to both Ward and Kovalev. They may be more skilled, but like I said Stevenson knows how to deliver his big punch. He knows when to throw it. He's accurate with it. His fight with Fonfara was a legit defense, too. I'll be the first to admit that Haymon has mis-managed him, though. A few different fights and he could be looked at a lot differently. He should have fought Pascal, Kovalev, and Hopkins. You have to roll the dice to become a Hall of Famer.

Comment

Shut up about Supes!

I want to see Stevenson vs Beterbiev next year!

Comment

So how come Ward is fighting Kovalev? He could have ran away and signed up with daddy Haymon just like what Stevenson did.

The question then becomes: is Kovalev vs Ward bigger or smaller than Kovalev vs Stevenson? What is the comparative value between these fights? Who deserves to demand more money between Ward and Stevenson?

Comment

Originally posted by JoeMan View Post
                    So how come Ward is fighting Kovalev? He could have ran away and signed up with daddy Haymon just like what Stevenson did.

The question then becomes: is Kovalev vs Ward bigger or smaller than Kovalev vs Stevenson? What is the comparative value between these fights? Who deserves to demand more money between Ward and Stevenson?
                    That's an interesting question.

Kovalev/Stevenson would have been a 4 belt unification fight to crown boxing's only undisputed champion for over 10 years, and with the Canadian interest, I think a lot of fans would have watched it.

I hope I'm wrong, but I don't think Kovalev/Ward will get enough views to justify Ward's $5million guarantee, which is probably about what Kovalev and Stevenson would have shared between them if their fight had happened. But that money is coming from Ward's own promoter, so if anybody loses money, it will be Roc Nation.

Comment

• Originally posted by techliam View Post
                      Hopkins is facing the no.3 LHW, so how can Stevenson be?

Stevenson's last 4 opponents have been Sukhotsky, Bika at 175, Karpency and Thomas Williams. For a top 10 LHW like Stevenson, that's an almost embarrassing streak. Fighting a low top 10 fighter in Alvarez doesn't remedy that awful streak
                      ring tv rankings..idk wat your going by..thomas williams jr would bully hopkins today..karpency convincingly beat dawson who beat hopkins

..joe smith jr might ko hopkins too..

Comment

Working...
                      X