No announcement yet.

A Boxing Draft?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Boxing Draft?

There are often drafts on other sports forums so are there people on here who want to try a boxing one?

I'll post the rules up later if I get about 5 members who want to participate. The premise however is pretty simple, there will be 6 rounds (each participant gets a top pick this way) and they can pick any fighter they want from any decade between 1950-2009.

At the end of the 6th and final round, all members can vote on who has the best group of fighters.

It was sounding good until the end of the 6th voting... and why up to 2009?

Comment

Originally posted by Scholar View Post
      It was sounding good until the end of the 6th voting... and why up to 2009?
      I mean, I'm only thinking of having a total of 6 members, if there are more we could up the number of rounds OR have each person make 2 picks.

Oh and till 2009 because it covers every decade in which we can watch a large chunk of fighters career. I didn't want to include 2010-till now simply because guys like Pac, May, Wlad, Hopkins were all active and better before that so we might get people picking names like bradley or Canelo, good in their own right but not great.

Comment

I'm in........

Comment

I'm in too...

Comment

Count me in boys

Comment

ok we got 3 and me. I'll probably wait till end of today or early tomorrow.

Good stuff lads.

btw, while we're at it, do you want to include post 2009 too? I guess we can take in significant chunks of careers for guys like Gonzalez, Kov, GGG, Froch, Ward etc

Comment

In regards to post-2009, it's a tricky one. Are we going off greatness or theoretical/pound-for-pound type scenarios? For example, pound-for-pound Tyson Fury stands up to anybody past or present at Heavyweight. However, there's a long list of fighters who's legacy he doesn't come close to touching.

Comment

double post.
                  Last edited by Raonic; 10-30-2016, 03:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by soul_survivor View Post
                    There are often drafts on other sports forums so are there people on here who want to try a boxing one?

I'll post the rules up later if I get about 5 members who want to participate. The premise however is pretty simple, there will be 6 rounds (each participant gets a top pick this way) and they can pick any fighter they want from any decade between 1950-2009.

At the end of the 6th and final round, all members can vote on who has the best group of fighters.
                    A much better idea would be to have like 10 or 20 rounds to draft fighters. Then based on the fighters you got, you make a card with then people vote on who has the better boxing card.

To make it more interesting, you can't have more than 1 fight in the same weight division, you have to use the version of the fighter based on the weight you have them at, you can't have more than 2 fighters from the same decade (so if I used JWW 2009 Manny, he's in the 2001-2010 decade), and you can't match up guys that already fought each other in real life (so can't use prime Floyd vs prime Manny in 2009).

So if I draft my top 10 to be Tyson, Ali, Hagler, Hopkins, Hearns, JMM, etc, etc ,etc, and my card was something like

Ali-Tyson(HW)
                    Hearns-JMM (WW)
                    Hopkins-Hagler (MW)
                    xxxxxx-xxxxxx (CW)
                    xxxxxx-xxxxxx (LHW)

then I would have to use the version JMM and Hearns when they were at 147 even though they were better at other weight classes. So if I put Manny in a fight at 122 pounds, I have to use that Manny Pacquiao instead of the prime Manny at 140/147.

Comment

Working...
                    X