Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lennox Lewis- the best fighter of all time?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BoxingFan85 View Post
    Yeah but McCall was no elite HW either & its just that Lewis got caught with a good shot & he went down.. But if McCall wasn't in the right mind to fight he shouldn't have & in the end made a mockery of himself... IMO Lewis did not receive his due credit back in the day.. Right from Olympics to Pro & not until he retired did people start to take his achievement seriously..
    Yea ppl just like to hyperbol this loses on some resumes,i dont think he is the best fighter of all the time but HW ATG for sure,I would love to see this Bowe fight doe but **** happens .Lennox have some great wins but this Tyson one is meh.Its common that fighters get credit after they reitre idk why tbh.Great Jab and allways good gameplans.

Comment

Originally posted by Canelo and GGG View Post
      Yea ppl just like to hyperbol this loses on some resumes,i dont think he is the best fighter of all the time but HW ATG for sure,I would love to see this Bowe fight doe but **** happens .Lennox have some great wins but this Tyson one is meh.Its common that fighters get credit after they reitre idk why tbh.Great Jab and allways good gameplans.
      Lewis like Wlad became a fantastic fighter after Manny took over..
      Bowe vs Lewis - what can I say.. Bowe lost all my respect the day he dropped his belt.. Lewis beat him in olympics..
      Tyson fight happened pretty late than people had expected but Tyson was long gone even before he met Holyfield so the version of Tyson he fought was shot to ****.. I'd not base my opinion on his losses specifically, most boxers lose & its how they comeback from it that matters.. Lennox is among my top 5 ATG HW for sure..

Comment

He is very good but far from the greatest of all time in my opinion. He didn't have a very good chin. To be the greatest of all time a boxer must not only have great fighting skills but a great ability to take punishment. You really can't be the greatest of all time without both assets. Lewis was knocked cold in the middle of his prime twice by very average heavyweights. The fact that he avenged those two KO losses doesn't make those losses go away. I know Lewis's entire career and to me he comes up quite short of being the greatest boxer of all time. He was a great heavyweight but not even close to being the greatest boxer of all time in my opinion.

Comment

For me Lennox is the greatest Heavy in history. I don't see any one beating him in a best of three.

Comment

Originally posted by Thraxox View Post
            I would favor again Vitali Klithscko to beat him in a rematch. Prime for prime also. H2H Vitaly > All Heavyweight greats for me.
            Are you that mad???

A past prime Lennox beat a prime Vitali, so I don't know where you're getting that Vitali beats a prime Lennox. That is just insane.

Comment

Not the best fighter of all time, but in a head-to-head argument, he stands up as well as almost any heavyweight in history.

His ability, at his size, is nearly unmatched in the history of the sport.

When he was at his best, he was among the best ever.

The main criticism of Lewis is that he wasn't consistent enough with his training and preparation and didn't always show up in the ring at his best...sometimes he could get away with it (Klitschko) and sometimes he didn't (Rahman I).

Comment

Lewis didn't dominate. He had skills for sure but most of his advantages is because of his size. He was picking on smaller men, and the only time he fought someone bigger than him was Vitali and was giving him hell.
                Oh my god stop posting, you clearly don't know what you're talking about.

Go and check the sizes of all Lewis' opponents to see how foolish you are.

Comment

Originally posted by bigdramashow View Post
                  So..
                  When i look at a fighters career, my main criteria for greatness is, could the fighter have done any more in his career to be great? Im seriously struggling to pick holes in lewis's career, and in my opinion, lennox lewis's career was damn near perfect for what he could do as a heavyweight. Olympic gold medallist, he beat every fighter he fought. He beat prime vitali klitschko despite weighing a career high weight, being old and barely training. He also beat holyfield, tyson, bruno, briggs, and a number of other solid heavyweights are on his resume.
                  Lennox lewis with his size too, is one of the fighters who could more than cope with the modern day heavys (the giants that are fury, wilder, klitschko and joshua) whereas a heavyweight like joe louis or marciano who were greats but may not be able to handle themselves against the larger fighters of this era.
                  As with any heavyweight, lewis could be taken out by one shot, but lewis avenged his losses, emphatically.
                  So is there any fighter in history you would favour to beat lewis in a trilogy? And im not asking this question in a pound for pound sense, im saying would any fighter in history step in the ring and do this? And also where do people rank lennox lewis in all time rankings? If people think im talking ****, then please offer logical points as to why he shouldnt be considered in the discussion, instead of somehow relating lennox lewis to gennady golovkin needing to move up in weight...
                  I don't know about the best of all time, but one helluva fighter. I'd favor a prime Ali to beat him 2 out of three, but I wouldn't bet major cash on it. With Lewis's size and skill it would take a great fighter having two good nights to get by Lewis twice.

Comment

Lewis didn't dominate. He had skills for sure but most of his advantages is because of his size. He was picking on smaller men, and the only time he fought someone bigger than him was Vitali and was giving him hell.
                    That's a more valid criticism of Bowe than it is Lewis.

Lewis fought a lot of big heavyweights...some bigger than himself like Akindwande (6'7), Grant (6'7) and Klitschko (6'7).

Others around his height or a little below it like Tucker (6'5), Ruddock (6'3), Golota (6'4), Briggs (6'4) and Mavrovic (6'3).

Comment

Originally posted by Kigali View Post
                      Stop it.

He was throwing with both hands....he must have hurt his shoulder in the corner.

Ali didn't let a broken jaw stop him..and he had a LOT more to deal with than Chris Byrd.

You love that shoulder injury excuse don't you...I wonder why?
                      He was winning the fight and had shoulder surgery a week later.
                      Last edited by robertzimmerman; 10-29-2016, 10:37 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X