Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pound for pound: Is the ward v kovalev fight being overrated a bit?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Casual fans can't possibly understand why boxing die hards think this fight will determine who the best p4p fighter is in the sport.

Casuals see a monster KO win and think, "that guy must be great". not taking into consideration the level of the guy that got KTFO. They give fighters respect that they haven't earned.

Boxing fans see in Ward and Kov 2 guys that have clearly defeated tough opponents, the kind that are not easily KTFO. These 2 are giving us what we want-a fight between 2 highly respected combatants at the top of their game. They have proven themselves against some of the very best and have come out unbeaten.

We appreciate that, their skill, and reward them with p4p status for their efforts. They earned their place atop the mythical p4p list because they fought elite comp and won.

Comment

Originally posted by Dean_Razorback View Post
      no, is not overrated at all, they are 2 of the best going at it. but i still believe that they need to do more to dethrone chocolatito from the number 1 spot.
      I can agree with that..

Comment

Originally posted by don larryx View Post
        Seriously man, you are getting more pathetic day by day..you are obsessed with trying to degrade Ward and this fight..The closer it gets the dumber your posts get, Be a damn boxing fan and be happy a great fight is happening.
        im not degrading ward. What im saying is have them two done much more than lomachenko and walters in past few years? Im looking forward to both fights, probably loma/walters more so, jsut dont understand why one is made out to be a super blockbuster fight and the other one isnt?

Comment

Originally posted by Dean_Razorback View Post
          no, is not overrated at all, they are 2 of the best going at it. but i still believe that they need to do more to dethrone chocolatito from the number 1 spot.
          If Ward dominates Kov fairly, its hard not to put him at #1 given everything he has done in the Super 6 and with wins over dawson and Kov when both were considered one of the 2-3 best in the world. That said, Gonzalez titles in 4 weight classes is very strong.

Comment

It is a great match up. Pound 4 Pound is all opinion based. In my opinion, Roman Gonzalez is the best "pound for pound" fighter in the world, regardless of the outcome of the Kovalev-Ward fight...unless it is a complete masterclass by one of them..then maybe I would consider one of them the best in the world.

But there is nothing to complain about as far as the match up goes. I don't really like Kovalev (he seems like an a**hole) and I don't like Ward either (fake, jealous, bitter, always complains about everything) but both of them are excellent fighters in the same weight class that are actually fighting each other..which unfortunately is rare these days.

Comment

While I do think that Ward doesn't receive enough flak for his opposition level and inactivity going on the past half decade. If they are going to have guys highly rated that don't have any significant wins, at a certain point you have to accept the current realities of the sport as they are. Boxing has become like the draft of major sports where things like potential and upside are rated highly whether you like it or not. I think historically speaking, this fight is overrated. You're kidding yourself if you think this a Leonard/Hearns or Whitaker/Chavez,but in a year like 2016 it would be foolish to complain.

Comment

Originally posted by bigdramashow View Post
                im not degrading ward. What im saying is have them two done much more than lomachenko and walters in past few years? Im looking forward to both fights, probably loma/walters more so, jsut dont understand why one is made out to be a super blockbuster fight and the other one isnt?
                Ward is more proven then Lomo and Walters combined...so kill that noise..Lomo-Walters is a solid fight but both are still working their way up..How the hell can you compare these 2 fights?

Comment

Depends on what people say when they talk about this fight. For me, Ward isn't and shouldn't be on the p4p list but Kovalev is a lock on for top 2 or 3. A win here makes him top 1.

A win for Ward puts him back in the list.

So, talk of it being for P4P superiority really depends on perspective. It's a big fight though and possibly define divisional superiority. It's just said that Stevenson is unlikely to have a say.

Comment

Originally posted by PK3434 View Post
                    It is a great match up. Pound 4 Pound is all opinion based. In my opinion, Roman Gonzalez is the best "pound for pound" fighter in the world, regardless of the outcome of the Kovalev-Ward fight...unless it is a complete masterclass by one of them..then maybe I would consider one of them the best in the world.

But there is nothing to complain about as far as the match up goes. I don't really like Kovalev (he seems like an a**hole) and I don't like Ward either (fake, jealous, bitter, always complains about everything) but both of them are excellent fighters in the same weight class that are actually fighting each other..which unfortunately is rare these days.
                    yeah, i think its a really good fight, im not saying its crap like people are making out i am and twisting my words. i just object to thinking that this fight hundred percent determines who the best fighter in the world is. people saying on another thread that the winner will get fighter of the year? WHy should that be, cause they beat the best opponent in a division? Didnt frampton do that too, in addtion to another solid win? And so will the winner of the loma/walters fight.

Comment

Originally posted by don larryx View Post
                      Ward is more proven then Lomo and Walters combined...so kill that noise..Lomo-Walters is a solid fight but both are still working their way up..How the hell can you compare these 2 fights?
                      if ward wins hes got one good win in five years, thats the reality of it. How is that so much better than loma beating russell and walters. or walters beating donaire/loma? amongst other fringe world level fighters

Comment

Working...
                      X