Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Terrible" Terry Norris vs PBF aka Money May @ 154 lbs / 11 Stone: Who wins?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think the poll and the split opinions here pretty much sum up my feeling that this is a genuine 50/50 fight.

Comment

Originally posted by !! Shawn View Post
      I think you misunderstand Terry being a mean dirty fouling fighter with Terry having a rough style. Terry was a very very polished fighter in every facet of his game. He had speed, movement, balance, power, and combination punching.

Anyone that thinks Floyd would have a chance is just Crazy. There is a difference between being a great fighter that is filled out to your max weight at 147 and can do catchweights against green guys at 152 and fighting an ATG natural 154lber who is just as fast as Floyd (at 154 terry is probably faster), hits much harder than Floyd, has feet just as good as Floyds were at lighter weights...

There is an old saying that a great big man beats a great little man.

This is a prime example.

Terry Norris is for some unfortunate reasons one of the great technicians of the 90's who's greatness has been largely forgotten much like Michael Nunn. Probably because he fought on after he was badly faded, and got flattened by Julian Jackson.

Terry Norris was a beast... and mean... really mean...

Floyd at 154 pot shotted and ran. Terry at 154 threw something out and if you threw something back, he was coming after you with 3 or 4 in return, closing the distance with his feet if you ran.

He really was a great fighter. Bad bad matchup for Floyd at 154.

If we were talking p4p matchup at their best weights Id give Floyd the win. But at 154... that crazy talk.

Terry Norris was no all time great. He was a very solid fighter but definitely not an ATG. He was over the hill by the age of 30 and had been KO'd by multiple guys. Oscar De La Hoya also had KO's at 154 and couldn't even drop Floyd. Oscar De La Hoya is definitely a greater fighter than Terry Norris.

We can speculate all we want about who would win. The fact is that Floyd has never been KO'd and was only dropped once technically. The same could not be said for Norris. You are using speculation while I am going off of acts. It's a tough fight to call but I'm going with The Pretty Boy.

Comment

Terrible Terry gets the UD here. Too big, too strong, too fast at that weight for Floyd. Terry was a very good fighter when he was on and didnt just rely on power he could box. He is one of my favorite fighters ever but he would do some stupid shiet sometimes. I mean three DQ loses for just bonehead dumb stuff. What was the Mexican he got DQed twice to? Santa Cruz or something?

Luis Santana!!!
        Last edited by Sun_Tzu; 10-20-2016, 05:53 PM.

Comment

Norris would easily handle Floyd, I can't see Floyd winning more than 3 rounds against the terrible one. Norris was nearly unbeatable when he had Abel Sanchez in his corner.

On their best day Norris knocks Floyd out.

Comment

Originally posted by soul_survivor View Post
            I dunno where you get those odds from, if true, that's ludicrous. I could understand SRL being a slight fave at the time, considering his comeback had featured wins over Hagler, Duran, Lalonde and a draw with Hearns, without showing huge signs of wear and tear but hadn't he been out of the ring for almost 2 years by then?

Norris beat a faded fighter. Just watch Leonard in the first 3-4 rounds. He is trying to be first but can't get off at all. Imagine a prime Leonard or even 88/89 Leonard, he wouldn't been landing on norris early on.
            He was out for 14 months. And he was indeed a 3-1 betting favorite.

Terry Norris is like Tommy Hearns in the fact that his ability to punch downplayed his boxing ability.

Hearns for all his ability to punch was never outboxed by anyone, including Leonard. You could knock him out, but you couldn't outbox him. But people just remember his punch.

Terry Norris at his peak was that kind of fighter. He just had too many physical gifts and was too well schooled to beat him any other way.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnwoo8686 View Post
              Terry Norris was no all time great. He was a very solid fighter but definitely not an ATG. He was over the hill by the age of 30 and had been KO'd by multiple guys. Oscar De La Hoya also had KO's at 154 and couldn't even drop Floyd. Oscar De La Hoya is definitely a greater fighter than Terry Norris.

We can speculate all we want about who would win. The fact is that Floyd has never been KO'd and was only dropped once technically. The same could not be said for Norris. You are using speculation while I am going off of acts. It's a tough fight to call but I'm going with The Pretty Boy.
              Some fighters have longevity some dont. Norris was involved in a gym war culture, and took lots of ring wear outside of fighting.

Similar to Wilfred Benitez who was done by 26... That doesn't make Benitez not an ATG. He is. El Radar was incredible just as Terry Norris was.

Just because Terry's prime window was smaller doesn't make him not an ATG...

Comment

Originally posted by Johnwoo8686 View Post

Bit of a boxrec argument in some parts there.

Oscar was a fighter who went up weight divisions also, he is undoubtedly a greater fighter then Terry Norris p4p, but a better 154lber? I'm not sure about that. That would have been another great fight by the way, very hard fight to call prime for prime.

Oscar was past prime when he fought Floyd, he was semi-retired, the Mayorga fight showed him up to be better than he actually was at that stage, Mayorga walked straight into his wheelhouse.

It's about styles, and Norris is a hard style for Floyd to deal with. Norris was a natural 154lber who was athletic, could crack, he could box, he was fast, and he had a serious jab. In fact if I was to describe the type of fighter that could beat Floyd, it wouldn't be far off Terry Norris, because he could be very aggressive too.

It would have been a tall order for Floyd to beat a guy going into his 5th weight division - and fighting one of the best fighters in that divisions history in his prime. That is a real tall order. I can see this is as highly competitive, but I can't see Floyd pulling it off personally.

I don't think some of you realise or know how good Terry Norris was in 1991-93, and how highly regarded he was at the time. People have different types of career peaks.

Comment

Originally posted by sunny31 View Post
                  Bit of a boxrec argument in some parts there.

Oscar was a fighter who went up weight divisions also, he is undoubtedly a greater fighter then Terry Norris p4p, but a better 154lber? I'm not sure about that. That would have been another great fight by the way, very hard fight to call prime for prime.

Oscar was past prime when he fought Floyd, he was semi-retired, the Mayorga fight showed him up to be better than he actually was at that stage, Mayorga walked straight into his wheelhouse.

It's about styles, and Norris is a hard style for Floyd to deal with. Norris was a natural 154lber who was athletic, could crack, he could box, he was fast, and he had a serious jab. In fact if I was to describe the type of fighter that could beat Floyd, it wouldn't be far off Terry Norris, because he could be very aggressive too.

It would have been a tall order for Floyd to beat a guy going into his 5th weight division - and fighting one of the best fighters in that divisions history in his prime. That is a real tall order. I can see this is as highly competitive, but I can't see Floyd pulling it off personally.

I don't think some of you realise or know how good Terry Norris was in 1991-93, and how highly regarded he was at the time. People have different types of career peaks.
                  People confuse aggression with the type of aggression Norris brought. It wasn't the type of come forward straight at you aggression. It was the kind of aggression where he would box and move and then suddenly explode and be all over you and then behind you when you turned around still throwing punches then he would go back to boxing. That really throws you for a loop when you have a guy taking his time boxing that randomly transforms into an aggro monster.

Most people picking Floyd dont really have any idea of what kind of fighter Terry was. 91-92'93 he was on top of the world. It was a question of who was #1 p4p Chavez Whitaker or Norris.

He really was special.

Comment

People confuse aggression with the type of aggression Norris brought. It wasn't the type of come forward straight at you aggression. It was the kind of aggression where he would box and move and then suddenly explode and be all over you and then behind you when you turned around still throwing punches then he would go back to boxing. That really throws you for a loop when you have a guy taking his time boxing that randomly transforms into an aggro monster.

Most people picking Floyd dont really have any idea of what kind of fighter Terry was. 91-92'93 he was on top of the world. It was a question of who was #1 p4p Chavez Whitaker or Norris.

He really was special.
                    Yeah I agree on all points, I grew up watching him, and as I stated earlier I wasn't necessarily a fan back then, because he was almost too dominant during that period, same goes with Chavez, I remember being super excited when Randall beat him, because you just thought wow he finally got beat. I use to root against Terry in the same way, wanting to see him finally get beat. But I think you are right, I don't think a lot of people on here go back that far.

He was a great fighter, SUPER talented, and had a very high peak.

Comment

He really was special.
                      Actually I just remembered Cliff Rold did a special on the division. He says it better and has more facts than I can produce.

http://www.boxingscene.com/-top-20-j...ll-time--18452

Comment

Working...
                      X