Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Andre Ward: Kovalev Will Need More Than Power, I'm Not Afraid!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gary Coleman View Post
    If Hop and Chilemba went the distance, he sure as **** ain't KO'ing Ward and even though Kovalev has good boxing skills it won't be enough.

Ward wins a comfortable decision.
    You see how good Kovalev is? Simply going the distance is an accomplishment

Hopkins went the distance because he was surviving all night since the first round, and regardless of what anyone says, lets be honest.... Kovalev was OK with showing off he can box and didn't really go for any sort of knockout until the last 1.5 minutes where Hopkins taunted him and Kovalev almost took his head off. He could of done that in any round and ended it.

Kovalev also just wanted to get some rounds in vs. Chilemba, he wore bigger gloves and was basically just using the tricky and deceptive Chilemba as a sparring partner to prepare for Ward.

Ward is going to be in survival just like Hopkins was once he feels Kovalev's power- how is Ward supposed to win a decision when he's not going to be able to land any offense? Using your legs to merely survive to the 12th round so you can save yourself, is not a formula for success, but it's exactly what Ward is going to have to resort to (not by choice), an as I said, as a result, it's going to be completely one-way traffic for the majority of the fight.

IMO

Comment

Almost all of you kovalev fans are the same ones who always go for the puncher/brawler types because you guys think Rocky was really how boxing is supposed to operate. Ward has fought bettter comp, and you mean kov couldnt ko a 187 year old man is an accomplishment. You same people are the same ones that always come up and came up with excuses everytime Floyd won...he paid off the ref, he paid off the commentators, he paid off the judges, if you turn the tv off and turn it on its side then mute it, you can see who really won...You guys arent fans of boxing, youre fans of certain people and dont really care about the "sweet science".

Comment

So here is what I've read so far....

1. Kovalev should just swing for the fences in the early rounds to try and blast Ward out...a defensive wizard with enough pop to drop a LHW with a well placed shot.

2. Ward will be in survival mode once he feels Kovalev power...even though he just said that it was going to take more than power to beat him. News flash, Ward doesn't fight for money, don't expect him to look to survive instead of win even at the risk of a KO.

Don't expect either fighter to fight any different than they have in the past. Ward will jab the body and look to close distance and take away Kovalev power. Kovalev will look to set up power shots off his jab. Whoever jab lands more effectively will win the fight. I'm not comparing the fighters to each other individually, but I see this fight playing out as something similar to how the ODLH vs Mayweather went.

Comment

Originally posted by Ake-Dawg View Post
          So here is what I've read so far....

1. Kovalev should just swing for the fences in the early rounds to try and blast Ward out...a defensive wizard with enough pop to drop a LHW with a well placed shot.

2. Ward will be in survival mode once he feels Kovalev power...even though he just said that it was going to take more than power to beat him. News flash, Ward doesn't fight for money, don't expect him to look to survive instead of win even at the risk of a KO.

Don't expect either fighter to fight any different than they have in the past. Ward will jab the body and look to close distance and take away Kovalev power. Kovalev will look to set up power shots off his jab. Whoever jab lands more effectively will win the fight. I'm not comparing the fighters to each other individually, but I see this fight playing out as something similar to how the ODLH vs Mayweather went.
          best post I've seen in this thread. Gotta give Kovalev credit for his jab because its a beast, but Ward has perhaps the best jab in the sport.

I think Kov's style plays into Ward's strengths, it will be a competitive somewhat entertaining scrap with Ward winning a comfortable UD.

Comment

Only King has had the balls to bet with me. IT'S NOT EVEN REAL MONEY.

Comment

Originally posted by mike1010011 View Post
              Pretty sure that wards never faced power like kovalevs. Closest thing I can think of would be boone.
              Froch punches harder than Boone.Froch has one punch KO's.

Ward's been in with more punchers than has Kovalev.

BTW

Boone had Kovalev down four times in their 1st fight.

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyD729 View Post
                Kovalev dosent really rely on just power anyway. He dosent load up on his punches. He works behind the jab, maintains a distance and goes to the body pretty decent. And yes, when an opening presents itself, he looks to drop the right hand.
                Ward can win without power.

Kolavev is nothing without it.

Comment

Originally posted by HURTFEELINGS View Post
                  Almost all of you kovalev fans are the same ones who always go for the puncher/brawler types because you guys think Rocky was really how boxing is supposed to operate. Ward has fought bettter comp, and you mean kov couldnt ko a 187 year old man is an accomplishment. You same people are the same ones that always come up and came up with excuses everytime Floyd won...he paid off the ref, he paid off the commentators, he paid off the judges, if you turn the tv off and turn it on its side then mute it, you can see who really won...You guys arent fans of boxing, youre fans of certain people and dont really care about the "sweet science".

Comment

Man I can't wait for this fight! #WarWard

Comment

Originally posted by Kigali View Post
                      Ward can win without power.

Kolavev is nothing without it.
                      That about explains all you need to know concerning this fight. Ward is better at controlling the range and can disarm Kovalev by taking away his jab and fighting on the inside...

Comment

Working...
                      X