Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

To be remembered as a "boxing great", do you have to share the ring with big names?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You wouldn't become great because if they were just mid ranked fighters you were facing you wouldn't attract the attention of the millions hoping to see fight of the century.....great fighters become great fighters when they face and defeat other top fighters not some journeyman.... I don't class triple ggg as an all time great yet and will not bestow him that title till he is out the game and his resume can be examined....but don't get me wrong I think he could very well end up being one....and you shouldn't punish the guy for other top fighters of his weight not wanting to set foot in the ring with him...let me ask you a question ? Would sugar ray Leonard be considered and all time great if he never beat Duran,hearns,Benitez and Hagler ? Of course not m8 ...I do think there is a tiny bit of trolling with this thread fella lol...naughty naughty

Comment

Originally posted by Redd Foxx View Post
      So, no one in a Golovkin type situation (dominates everyone, all of whom are forgettable) has gone down as a memorable fighter?
      Butterbean. LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

Comment

Another anti-ggg post by Redd Fox.

When you're so good that you make people literally move weight classes away from you (Canelo moving down to 154) and fighters vacating belts in order to avoid you, and you KO everyone that dares to be inside of a ring with you, and belong to the top5 P4P list for many years, and are one of the few legit CHAMPIONS and not belt holder for many years, then yes you're a great. Even if not many great A-level fighters had the balls to face you.
        Last edited by _Maxi; 10-12-2016, 03:22 PM.

Comment

tyson is remebered as an all-time great for sharing the ring with Evander and Lennox.

canelo is seen as being great for sharing the ring with Floyd.

lomachenko is seen as being a star for sharing the ring with Salido.

salka is seen as being ATG for sharing the ring with DSG.

Comment

Originally posted by bigdramashow View Post
            when you remove the bull**** its just another excuse for you to say 'ggg resume sucks'. can fool some people on here but cant fool me..
            Once again, you can't articulate your claim. I haven't said a single negative thing about Golovkin in this thread (only positives). Saying his resume contains no names who will go down as being memorable is completely reasonable to everyone who doesn't have a ggg phallus in their mouths.
            Originally posted by _Maxi View Post
            Another anti-ggg post by Redd Fox.

When you're so good that you make people literally move weight classes away from you (Canelo moving down to 154) and fighters vacating belts in order to avoid you, and you KO everyone that dares to be inside of a ring with you, and belong to the top5 P4P list for many years, and are one of the few legit CHAMPIONS and not belt holder for many years, then yes you're a great. Even if not many great A-level fighters had the balls to face you.
            Foolish of me to expect you to be able to see that I was saying ggg has the talent to be considered a boxing great. You've let your fanaticism blind you again, man.

It was a basic question that only hardcore ggg fans seem to have a hard time understanding. No one he's faced so far is going to go down as a historical great. I'm asking, will that hurt Golovkin's ability to be remembered in 30, 40, 50 years from now?

Comment

"To be remembered as a "boxing great", do you have to share the ring with big names?": Yes.
              Not many fighters goes down in history as greats without facing other big names, the only one out of the top of my mind, was Ricardo Lopez, but it wasn't his fault that his division was empty and he cleaned with the division.

Comment

Originally posted by yngwie View Post
                "To be remembered as a "boxing great", do you have to share the ring with big names?": Yes.
                Not many fighters goes down in history as greats without facing other big names, the only one out of the top of my mind, was Ricardo Lopez, but it wasn't his fault that his division was empty and he cleaned with the division.
                I've seen Lopez brought up several times in this thread and he rings true as a good example because, although I know the name and the face, I can't say I know anything else about him, anyone he's faced, and don't think I've ever seen him fight.

Plugging that into the context of my bigger question, if I ever have kids, will they know who GGG was?

This is how it relates to me on a personal level; When I discover classic boxers, it's because I'm watching videos of a famous boxer and seeing the guys he fought. Then, I go watch those opponents in other fights. When I was a kid, I'd look up records of the greats and then look up the people they fought. If there's more than a single degree of separation between you and at least a couple legends, do you slip though the cracks in the collective memory of boxing?

Comment

Foolish of me to expect you to be able to see that I was saying ggg has the talent to be considered a boxing great. You've let your fanaticism blind you again, man.

It was a basic question that only hardcore ggg fans seem to have a hard time understanding. No one he's faced so far is going to go down as a historical great. I'm asking, will that hurt Golovkin's ability to be remembered in 30, 40, 50 years from now?
                  GGG is great, you can't force other greats to face him. Why should we consider him not that great just because a few other great were cowards and didn't want to face him?

If you consider also his amateur career, you see that he is for real.
                  Amateur career -> 10/10. Several world titles and silver medal.

Regarding your question. If Monzon is remembered, why can't GGG? he has a similar career.
                  Last edited by _Maxi; 10-12-2016, 05:19 PM.

Comment

I've seen Lopez brought up several times in this thread and he rings true as a good example because, although I know the name and the face, I can't say I know anything else about him, anyone he's faced, and don't think I've ever seen him fight.

Plugging that into the context of my bigger question, if I ever have kids, will they know who GGG was?

This is how it relates to me on a personal level; When I discover classic boxers, it's because I'm watching videos of a famous boxer and seeing the guys he fought. Then, I go watch those opponents in other fights. When I was a kid, I'd look up records of the greats and then look up the people they fought. If there's more than a single degree of separation between you and at least a couple legends, do you slip though the cracks in the collective memory of boxing?
                    GGG legacy depends on who he will beat next, right now even when all his talent and dominance, his record and legacy isn't looking better than the ones of Engels Pedroza or Jaime Garza, fighters that ended being not as good as people thought.

Comment

Originally posted by _Maxi View Post
                      GGG is great, you can't force other greats to face him. Why should we consider him not that great just because a few other great were cowards and didn't want to face him?

If you consider also his amateur career, you see that he is for real.
                      Amateur career -> 10/10. Several world titles and silver medal.

Regarding your question. If Monzon is remembered, why can't GGG? he has a similar career.
                      You're missing the greater point though. We can't choose how he'll be remembered. 30 years from now, will kids who are boxing fans know who he was? That's the question. I STILL haven't said yes or no so there's no need to act as if I'm taking "sides". If I thought I had the answer, I wouldn't ask the question.

Your answer seems to be; Yes. So, fair enough.

Comment

Working...
                      X