No announcement yet.

is eddie hearn the best promoter in boxing right now

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Guerrero's Dad View Post
    Yup. I saw this interview and changed my tune on him too.

To answer the original question - yes, he absolutely is the best promoter in boxing right. He has almost single-handedly turned British Boxing into a boom time. I mean, he's just signed freaking Luis Ortiz FFS.

He goes to all his fighters fights, he loves the sport, he is intelligent and charismatic. But most importantly, he understands how to run the sport in a modern landscape. Sure, he has Sky Sports to promote his fights but let's give him credit for that too.

Arum has lost his touch, Haymon is a clueless fraud who has pissed $400m up the wall with little gains, all the other promoters and companies are small players with maybe one big fighter.
    It is literally one of the best most candid boxing interviews I have seen.

I agree he is the best promoter in boxing at the moment, people complaining about the quality of some of the fights he makes are somewhat justified but they forget his job is two part, he makes and chases good dangerous fights, he takes risks with his fighters, but he also makes them wealthy, and he runs an open book policy so its really a partnership that he has with his fighters. Hearn basically ticks most of the boxes that a boxing promoter is supposed to in his job description.

I am glad he is looking after the last stage of Ricky Burns career for example, he would have ended up retiring bankrupt with Warren. I think Hearn will get Burns in a position that he can retire financially secure, which after the career he has had would be a crying shame if he didn't.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Cruise View Post
      Sky sports are the best promoters in boxing. Hearn just needs to keep them sweet.

I do like that he is starting to take real risks with his fighters though. He also doesnt abandon his guys after losses and that gives them confidence to take tougher fights.

Gonna be intersting to see how he takes AJ's career. He's at a bit of a crossroads now where he really needs to step up or people (even casuals) are gonna start calling him out on it.
      yeah exactly this, once sky put their weight behind a fight here they can sell anything. Especially for casuals, when its drummed into you constantly that such and such is going to be a great event, and they often get the football pundits talking about it too, its hard not to get hyped for a fight.

Comment

Originally posted by R_Walken View Post
        I'm not from the UK and only been following the UK scene the last 3-4 years so you'd probably know better then me and for sure HEARN deserves some credit but to claim he's the best in the game isn't true. He has a great market to work with and usually gives them avg at best fights and fans still eat it up. He goes after weak champions or domestic fights to build his fighters up and avoid the top level guys. But acts like he wants to put them in with best and then switches them for a sub par opponet

Hes a decent salesman, but he also a 2nd generation promoter who's Dad was one of the top in the game I'm sure having those built in connections and structure in place made it easier to secure a sky deal.

Being a promoter is all about being able to sell and market a product and getting people to buy it. Nothing more than that. You have to be a top salesman to be a top pomoter; the two go hand in hand.*

And Britain wasn't a great market five years ago, as I already explained. He's taken boxing from small halls and leisure centres on a Friday nights and made Saturday night cards at big arenas a regular occurance. There's a world title fight (yes, I'm aware of the proliferation of 'world titles' nowadays) headlining almost every one of these cards, whereas before we were getting British and commonwealth title fights at best. He's effectively tapped into the young, casual audience that virtually every other promoter in the world has failed to attract.
        Last edited by Ham Porter; 10-09-2016, 02:02 PM.

Comment

Eddie is makeing money form himself and his fighters,his building them up into stars easy,his up there for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Ham Porter View Post
            Being a promoter is all about being able to sell and market a product and getting people to buy it. Nothing more than that. You have to be a top salesman to be a top pomoter; the two go hand in hand.*

And Britain wasn't a great market five years ago, as I already explained. He's taken boxing from small halls and leisure centres on a Friday nights and made Saturday night cards at big arenas a regular occurance. There's a world title fight (yes, I'm aware of the proliferation of 'world titles' nowadays) headlining almost every one of these cards, whereas before we were getting British and commonwealth title fights at best. He's effectively tapped into the young, casual audience that virtually every other promoter in the world has failed to attract.
            This has been his biggest success he has managed to market his events as part of a night out which people with little interest in boxing want to go to he talks about it himself in this interview.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mi3A8swuZbw

Comment

Absolutely.

Comment

Working...
              X