Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Was Floyd Mayweather's main advantage over his opponents overlooked?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TOBYLEE1 View Post
    It is crazy that he was blessed with speed, balance and that chin that he possessed. Plus he was always dedicated.

Some here dislike him for his personality and refuse to recognize what he was.

After his father went to jail he hooked up with a white family that were millionaires and he was able to also absorb the business side of the sport and life in general.

He has also lived a clean life up to this point
    Yeah Don Hale - to be fair I don't think Floyd did right by him. But I think he apologised in later life, and realised what they had done for him. But as I said I don't think he was equipped to deal with life, and didn't hit true adulthood until much later than normal people.

Comment

I think it was easy to expect someone to say reach. Thats a very tangible response to throw out. It allowed him to play it safe and fight from all ranges but from there you can still lose because you need more than reach to win. His main tool was his IQ. He was able to lean on how much he loved his father and how naturally you follow your parents and try to be like them. Then to be in a realm that was bigger than him allowed him to take in knowledge naturally. He probably idolized his father/uncles and the company they kept as far as boxing was concerned and it made him better without having to really think too much of it. His composure is overlooked as well. When Shane stunned him, you can just look at his face and how relaxed he was on top of how he shifted his feet properly while being hurt.

Comment

Originally posted by sunny31 View Post
        Yeah Don Hale - to be fair I don't think Floyd did right by him. But I think he apologised in later life, and realised what they had done for him. But as I said I don't think he was equipped to deal with life, and didn't hit true adulthood until much later than normal people.
        He mended with the family later on in life

Comment

Originally posted by Redd Foxx View Post
          I've thought about that but many people are born into boxing families and they all don't make it. Also, Sr was an absolute mess so I have to somewhat dismiss the idea that he was a perfectly molded child star.

Regardless though, growing up around boxing certainly does help.

I think Floyd's main advantage was "the instinct", or the ability to predict the opponent's actions.
          Originally posted by HanzGruber View Post
          I came in expecting his reach lol. But yea disagree with you op. Probably like someone said his will to win/determination. Most boxers say he's the hardest working fighter they've ever seen
          Originally posted by MPX309 View Post
          I was about to say his reach too, but certainly some good points brought up here and worth considering. I was listening to a podcast the other day which mentioned about Tyson Fury's mental health, his turn to drugs, and possibly cocaine being a stimulant to overcome depression.

But something Floyd possessed was the mental ability to not let things outside the ring effect his worth ethic inside the ring, and we all know he's had his fair share of not ideal situations. (Jail, lawsuits, family health etc)
          He lives in the most dangerous city in the world where drugs, drink and gambling can get a major grasp on you as a person (yes we know he loves a flutter) but look at people like Hatton and see the contrast in how their minds work.
          I didn't know this interview was out there - but it is Jeff Mayweather talking about what made Floyd the fighter that he was, similar points to what I was making from someone who was basically there for the duration.

Starts around 18:00-28:00. The whole interview is good though, so I would encourage to watch the whole thing.

Reach? That is a factor because it was unique quality for someone of his size, but it wasn't the main advantage that he held, it is just an attribute. Without the ability and the knowledge, it means nothing.

Comment

I agree with everything you said but would also his will to win and mental toughness. The physical tools were an advantage but we've seen plenty of fighters with better physical tools than Floyd who didn't achieve what he achieved. Taking care of his body, not drinking or smoking has nothing to do with physical tools. Breaking his hand in the Castillo and digging deep to pull off the win had nothing to do with physical tools. Getting rocked by Shane & immediately having the awareness to grab Shane's arm had nothing to do with physical tools. That was a situation he'd never been in before yet he still reacted the correct way. His mental toughness, discipline, & will to win are on par with other greats like Jordan & Kobe. Hard work & dedication wasn't just a saying, he lived it. People who dismiss this sell the sport short. You don't rack up the accomplishments he did by cherry picking. The man only lost on one scorecard his whole career!

Comment

Originally posted by sunny31 View Post
              I didn't know this interview was out there - but it is Jeff Mayweather talking about what made Floyd the fighter that he was, similar points to what I was making from someone who was basically there for the duration.

Starts around 18:00-28:00. The whole interview is good though, so I would encourage to watch the whole thing.

Reach? That is a factor because it was unique quality for someone of his size, but it wasn't the main advantage that he held, it is just an attribute. Without the ability and the knowledge, it means nothing.

Good video. More so for the overall insight Jeff gives about the sport. Amazing how articulate and lucid he is considering the state of his generation of the family. I like that he's very down to earth, not so biased and dismissive as many coaches and family/team members tend to be. The comments about the Brook/GGG fight are a good example that.
              Last edited by Redd Foxx; 10-11-2016, 06:54 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X