Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Was Floyd Mayweather's main advantage over his opponents overlooked?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

He had the combination of natural talent, mental fortitude and surrounded by his boxing family. Boxing was second nature to him

Comment

I came in expecting his reach lol. But yea disagree with you op. Probably like someone said his will to win/determination. Most boxers say he's the hardest working fighter they've ever seen

Comment

Originally posted by The Gambler1981 View Post
        Honestly it really was a perfect storm, he was an excellent athlete with pretty much perfect boxing proportions. He was in the gym from an early age and really took the the sport learning the tricks and then making the tricks his own (which takes an insane amount of work). He had that never ending well of desire because the people he looked up to were good boxers but not quite the very best so he knew what he had to be better than and I think those guys knew it also and helped to mold Floyd that way. Floyd is also a greedy person so he could never have enough, but he knew that hard work was the only way to get the most possible.

Those combination of things is the rarest of things and what gave him the advantage over pretty much everyone, even when fights were tough where most top ends guys falter Floyd figured out a way to fight back.

Plus even if a dude is put through what Floyd was most will burn out or not pan out even close to the same way, so it really takes a special sort to become what Floyd became.
        Yeah I see it similar to this. A perfect concoction of ingredients which came together. But the foundations were definitely laid by a father who was never going to take no for an answer in my opinion. I think Roy Jones was pushed equally hard, and almost in a sadistic way, but difference was that Floyd Snr was himself a talented and knowledgable fighter.

Comment

It's his instincts, followed by his mental strength and the discipline to work on every aspect of the game.

Comment

Originally posted by TOBYLEE1 View Post
            He had the combination of natural talent, mental fortitude and surrounded by his boxing family. Boxing was second nature to him
            Yeah basically you have summed it up in a lot less words what I was trying to convey lol. I always felt like he had a leg up on any opponent.

Comment

Fighters like him usually got beaten heavily while young, they learned not only to survive but to adapt and make adjustments.
              When you see a fighter that has never been touched and out of nowhere comes a guy and hurts him, the fight it's over.

Comment

Originally posted by sunny31 View Post
                Yeah I see it similar to this. A perfect concoction of ingredients which came together. But the foundations were definitely laid by a father who was never going to take no for an answer in my opinion. I think Roy Jones was pushed equally hard, and almost in a sadistic way, but difference was that Floyd Snr was himself a talented and knowledgable fighter.
                I feel Roy was pushed even harder, Floyd wanted to get out of where he was, but Roy was intimidated by his dad, look at the pics of Jones at 15 or 13, he was trained to be a beast.

Comment

Originally posted by sunny31 View Post
                  Yeah basically you have summed it up in a lot less words what I was trying to convey lol. I always felt like he had a leg up on any opponent.
                  It is crazy that he was blessed with speed, balance and that chin that he possessed. Plus he was always dedicated.

Some here dislike him for his personality and refuse to recognize what he was.

After his father went to jail he hooked up with a white family that were millionaires and he was able to also absorb the business side of the sport and life in general.

He has also lived a clean life up to this point

Comment

Originally posted by Redd Foxx View Post
                    I'm not talking about seeing the future. I'm talking about reading cues from an opponent's positioning and body language. Interestingly, the moments in which Pac has success were when he played against this, doing feints and awkward movements to cause Floyd to falsely predict a movement and Pac would catch him as he responded. Roach prep'd Pac brilliantly for that fight, though (for whatever reason) Manny failed to deliver the volume needed.
                    That's the worst nightmare for a counterpuncher.

Comment

Originally posted by HanzGruber View Post
                      I came in expecting his reach lol. But yea disagree with you op. Probably like someone said his will to win/determination. Most boxers say he's the hardest working fighter they've ever seen
                      Most of that would have been ingrained in him in adolescence though, I think that determination would have come from a point of view, that if 'this is what I have been brought up to do, and all I know, then there isn't going to be anyone better than me'.

Comment

Working...
                      X