Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hopkins says you dont become great off of sympathy, is GGG great middleweight?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by therealpugilist View Post
    your position defies logic
    if he was so huge for 160, he wouldnt have stayed there over 15 years lol
    Again, your answer has nothing to do with what you're quoting. Never did I say he moved up because he was huge.

And stop with your lameass emoticons, you come off as 12 year old loser. Argue with facts.

Comment

• Originally posted by j0zef View Post
      Again, your answer has nothing to do with what you're quoting. Never did I say he moved up because he was huge.

And stop with your lameass emoticons, you come off as 12 year old loser. Argue with facts.
      blah blah...have another

Comment

• I dont necessarily agree with everything Hopkins says (GGG should absolutely not jump straight into 175 to fight the winner of Ward vs Kovalev fight yet, at least not until he has tested the waters at that weight. For all we know he might struggle physically with some of the guys at 168 (who are naturally bigger than him).

However I despair at those who try and belittle and play down the accomplishments of Hopkins. He is an ATG, in my opinion the best of his era.

Comment

Hopkins was a small light heavy then and was when he moved up, its closer to his walk around weight.....he wasnt weighing 158,157, and 159 for many of his title fights because he was huge....he is lean and has a small waist, he was a full time middleweight soon after his first fight...took 16 months lay off

is **** Tiger naturally bigger than GGG..he was 5'7" and fought during the same day weigh in era......any more excuses bro

Leonard and Hearns started at 147 and won titles at 160, 168 and 175

Was mickey walker? he started at welterweight and fought 175ers too

the list goes on bro.....even more recent fighters to start at 154-60 and fight at higher are James Toney, Reggie Johnson, Michael NUNN, Nigel Benn, their are so many.

dont try to belittle, or dilute Hopkins accomplishments because GGG may never do some of the things he has
          All I did was give you some facts. If facts about BHop's career belittle his accomplishments, in your eyes, then you are obviously not dealing in reality.

BHop held titles at MW for 10 years and he only moved up after he lost to Jermain Taylor twice. Probably because he was struggling to make 160.

BHop should keep his trap shut about GGG and concentrate on promoting Canelo Alvarez, because he and Oscar are doing a piss poor job of that right now.

Comment

• Originally posted by robertzimmerman View Post
            He isn't done yet, Einstein.

It's okay with you that Bernard only moved up at 40 after back to back losses, but GG HAS to move up now, even though there's good fights for him at MW and the best SMW's are tied up??

Seriously?
            Why are you continuing to argue with this creature? With Canelo in his name isn't it obvious why he wants GGG to move up?

Comment

thoughts
              GGG is already entering atg mw status. If he beats Hopkins' record and unifies the division, his top ten mw all time position will be stamped in stone.

Comment

their not insecure

they just see a fighter not being criticized for fighting the level of opposition he does and these guys were beating fellow world champions and getting trashed

especially Jones in the late 90s.....mis-mandatories....oh he aint fighting nobody....lol.....looking back, the same fighters they trashed went on to win world titles....Tarver, Clinton WOODS, Julio Cesar Gonzalez, Virgil Hill, John Ruiz, and he had almost 20 wins over world champions and larry merchant would be trashing him mid broadcast

no one ever made any excuses for him, and trust me, NOOOOOO one was calling out a prime roy jones. No one said they were ducking him either.
                Jones was super avoided at his best, especially by Euro fighters. He was even avoided by Hopkins, badly.

That said, GGG is a great MW and has one awesome MW title fight record. It's not his fault that the top 5 in the division are running from him like the plague. (Froch's words)

Comment

• Originally posted by IMDAZED View Post
                  If he was unproven what was Hopkins? Jones was a heavy favorite like it or not. Hopkins was thought to be a mediocre fighter but he gave Jones his toughest fight to that point and for many years after. Neither was at their peak so it's unfair to act as if he wasn't facing the best Jones when Jones wasn't facing the best Hopkins either. And I think traveling to Ecuador to fight the very tough Segundo Mercado in Mercado's backyard isn't a risk many fighters would take.
                  I agree with everything you've wrote.

You've missed my point.

My point was that Bernard never took the risks in his prime that he's currently asking GG to take.

I said to CaneloMaidana that he swerved a rematch with Roy in 2002. To which he replied: "He fought him 1993"

It doesn't matter that he fought him in 1993, that doesn't give him a pass for 2002. Because like you've said, they were both unproven in 1993. Basically, Bernard didn't know at the time that he was facing one of the best fighters in the world. But when he did in 2002, he wasn't interested. That makes him a hypocrite. Because if he wouldn't fight Roy in a huge fight in 2002, I know that he wouldn't have challenged the winner of Ward-Kovalev like he's asking GG to do. He needs to keep his mouth closed.
                  Last edited by robertzimmerman; 10-05-2016, 06:56 PM.

Comment

I support him staying at 160 as long as he is going after the top guys

the hype train is about as fast as its gonna move...nows it time to prove his worth as a fighter.
                    Yeah, fair enough.

Let's hope he can get the fights.

Comment

.....titles at 160 and 175

record in major title defenses at 160

oldest world champion ever

you dont accomplish things like that without darinf to be great

get you panties out of a bunch
                      I'm not wearing any panties today.

Ha!

The point I was making, was that he didn't really dare to be great in his prime.

He only moved up to LHW when he'd lost to Taylor twice and he was in a position where he had everything to gain and nothing to lose.

He didn't even have to shrink himself down to MW.

He could have fought at SMW-LHW his whole career.

Comment

Working...
                      X