Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

In retrospect can we say Floyd had a granite chin or that he just refused to lose?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

this thread is just disgusting. What Floyd TRULY needed was the Pacquiao Model. GO...

Comment

If Shane didn't get him out of there after what he landed, nobody was gonna.

Comment

He just forced Chino to wear sparring gloves. Had he landed that with the Everlast MX he used for Broner, he would have been KOd. Always asterisks next to his biggest Ws, Canelo - 152 catchweight, Mosley - 38 yrs old (almost got KTFO), Marquez (cheated him on the scales by 2 pounds), Maidana (chose the gloves for him), etc. That is all, and that sums up his career.

Comment

Some guys just dont get stopped. Floyd is one of them. Others like Hopkins, Toney ect.

1. Floyds got a great chin to begin with.

2. Keeps his chin tucked at all times to begin with and always defensively ready. Hops, Toney do the same. If you look at big one punch KOs, like RJJ-Tarver or Sergio-Williams, their chin is up and not tucked. This probably saved him from being dropped vs mosley.

3. Fights smart when hes hurt. This is when instincts matter and his are the best.

4. Adapts. Mosley tried the same combo later on that hurt mayweather and it was blocked because mayweather was looking for it.

Comment

I wouldn't say granite. We didn't see him get hit often enough to arrive at that conclusion. He had a pretty good chin, and was much tougher than most people assume.

Comment

If if if if if!! Just can't give the man props.

Comment

You don't make it to 49-0 with a record of 26-0 in world title fights without one.

Comment

Originally posted by R_Walken View Post
                  Under rated and doesn't get enough credit in both those aspects, don't know if I'd say granite because he never got hit enough to truely test it

That shot he took from Maidana & Mosely were sick and he ate em and didn't miss a beat , Would have been interesting if the Maidana shot didn't happen at the end of the round ( I think Inwatched that punch like 50 times just rewinding IT over and over again.

Mentally Fliyd was probably the strongest in the game
                  Those aren't even the worst punches I seen him take. The worst one I saw him take was from Pacquiao in round 4, the shot that flung him from the centre of the ring to the ropes. I don't know any other welterweight that wouldn't have gone down after taking a shot like that.

It also seemed like Floyd didn't realise immediately just how hurt he was by that punch, it's like he tried to just get back in there but as he lifted his foot realised that "oh **** this is bad!" and then went on defense mode for a while.

Comment

It's hard to say since Floyd was so masterful from a defensive standpoint that he rarely got hit clean and square, but when he did on those rare occasions he more than showed that he was capable of withstanding big shots.

49 professional fights and you can probably count on one hand how many times he was truly even wobbled, and the only knockdown that he suffered in his career was what -- his glove touching the ground?

I'd say that it's safe to say that he had an elite chin.

Comment

Originally posted by Redd Foxx View Post
                      1) Rarely got hit.
                      2) Had the reflexes to see it and absorb it at impact.
                      3) Had a damn good chin.
                      Pretty much...when you see all the shots and don't get caught out of position it's easier to absorb it. He also didn't exchange punches very often....much easier to get hurt in exchanges. Any man who is hurt badly by corley doesn't have a granite chin...he just found what worked for him and had the discipline to stick to it.

Comment

Working...
                      X