No announcement yet.

Best 3 Year Period

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best 3 Year Period

I was just thinking of the various runs fighters have gone through and a friend of mine mentioned MABs run of fights from the first Morales bout to the first Pacquiao bout, which occurred over a 3 year period, with fights against Hamed, Tapia and Kelley thrown in, not to mention 3 world titles across 2 divisions.

To be precise, he had 10 fights from Feb 2000 to November 2003 (I know, not exactly 3 years but you get what I'm saying). He was 8-2, with his only losses coming against ATGs and the combined record of his opponents being 381-21-8. Two of those wins were against 2 unbeaten HOFers in Morales and Hamed. That's some 3 string of fights. MABs opponents had won 93% of their combined fights. 5 of those wins were against future/current/past world champions.

So, I'm thinking, who else can you think of, who over a period of 3-ish years can match or surpass this?

I instantly thought of Muhammad Ali, who from 1971-74 fought and beat Frazier, Norton and Foreman, reclaimed his heavyweight crown and also beat ATGs in Foster and Patterson, not to mention a string of excellent contenders.

Ali was 14-2, in 16 bouts, with his opponents having a combined record of 572-64-14. That's over a period of 43 months (3 years 7 months). Ali's combined opponents had won 88% of their fights. 5 of those wins came against current/future/past world champions.

Quite staggering considering fighters these days will get barely 6 fights under their belts in a similar span of time and if we're lucky, one of those is against a top opponent.

There was this former featherweight guy that beat Cotto, Canelo, Maidana and Pacquiao from May 2012 till May 2015 in his late 30s.

Roy Jones beat Bernard Hopkins and James Toney at 2 different weight classes within 1 year.

Ray Leonard beat Wilfred Benitez, Roberto Duran and Thomas Hearns within 2 years.

Mike McCallum beat Julian Jackson, Donald Curry and Herold Graham in 3 years.

Danny Garcia beat Khan, Matthysse and Peterson from 2012 till 2015.

The list is way too long!

Comment

Originally posted by Dip_Slide View Post
      There was this former featherweight guy that beat Cotto, Canelo, Maidana and Pacquiao from May 2012 till May 2015 in his late 30s.

Roy Jones beat Bernard Hopkins and James Toney at 2 different weight classes within 1 year.

Ray Leonard beat Wilfred Benitez, Roberto Duran and Thomas Hearns within 2 years.

Mike McCallum beat Julian Jackson, Donald Curry and Herold Graham in 3 years.

Danny Garcia beat Khan, Matthysse and Peterson from 2012 till 2015.

The list is way too long!
      In terms of Mayweather, Mike and Garcia, I would disagree. They just aren't on the level of activity and quality when we talk about the likes of Ali or Barrera.

In terms of Leonard, you are spot on. From 1979-82 he fought a whopping 16 times, 4 of those fights against ATGs and a further 4 against some type of title holder or title challenger. He also managed to jump up and down in weight in that period and fought 2 if not 3 FOTY type bouts.

Comment

Originally posted by soul_survivor View Post
        In terms of Mayweather, Mike and Garcia, I would disagree. They just aren't on the level of activity and quality when we talk about the likes of Ali or Barrera.

In terms of Leonard, you are spot on. From 1979-82 he fought a whopping 16 times, 4 of those fights against ATGs and a further 4 against some type of title holder or title challenger. He also managed to jump up and down in weight in that period and fought 2 if not 3 FOTY type bouts.
        I didn't know that activity was a factor here, quaity-wise Ray Leonard and Ali are in a class of their own followed by Mayweather and then the rest.

Comment

Henry Armstrong from 1937 - 1940

Won the Featherweight title from Petey Sarron
          Won the Welterweight title from Barney Ross
          Won the Lightweight title from Lou Ambers

Held all three simultaneously for a while.

Defended the Welterweight title a record 19 times (dropping the FW and losing the LW title in a rematch to Ambers). A record I believe still stands to this day

Stepped up to Middleweight to challenge Cerefino Garcia, who was recognised by some as the MW champ, earning himself a draw in a bout that many thought he won.

Finally lost to the great Fritzie Zivic in Oct 1940.

He never hit those heights again. Tbh, i'm not sure anyone ever has.

final record for the 3 year period 37 wins (30 ko's)- 2 losses - 1 draw
          Last edited by Tom Cruise; 09-20-2016, 03:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dip_Slide View Post
            I didn't know that activity was a factor here, quaity-wise Ray Leonard and Ali are in a class of their own followed by Mayweather and then the rest.
            How do you think Mayweather is 3rd in terms of quality?

Ali, Leonard, Barrera, Oscars runs from either 95-98 or 97-00 were also better. Pacquiao had a couple of better runs too, from 2003-06 and 08-11. Let's not forget Holyfield from 1990-93, Morales had a couple better runs too and then I could talk about going further back to Robinson who probably had 3 such great runs or Hagler in early to mid 80s.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Cruise View Post
              Henry Armstrong from 1937 - 1940

Won the Featherweight title from Petey Sarron
              Won the Welterweight title from Barney Ross
              Won the Lightweight title from Lou Ambers

Held all three simultaneously for a while.

Defended the Welterweight title a record 19 times (dropping the FW and losing the LW title in a rematch to Ambers). A record I believe still stands to this day

Stepped up to Middleweight to challenge Cerefino Garcia, who was recognised by some as the MW champ, earning himself a draw in a bout that many thought he won.

Finally lost to the great Fritzie Zivic in Oct 1940.

He never hit those heights again. Tbh, i'm not sure anyone ever has.

final record for the 3 year period 37 wins (30 ko's)- 2 losses - 1 draw
              Awesome stuff!

And I agree, Armstrong was on a decline from 1940 on wards, then again, any fighter would be doing what he did, yo-yoing up and down in weight although some catch weights did help.

Now, if you really wana impress me, give me the combined record of his opponents lol

Comment

Awesome stuff!

And I agree, Armstrong was on a decline from 1940 on wards, then again, any fighter would be doing what he did, yo-yoing up and down in weight although some catch weights did help.

Now, if you really wana impress me, give me the combined record of his opponents lol
                lol my boxrec'ing is done after counting all those wins

I've read he found women and alcohol post 1940. Which is a huge shame. If he could have just held on a little longer his fight with SRR in 43 could have been one for the ages

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Cruise View Post
                  lol my boxrec'ing is done after counting all those wins

I've read he found women and alcohol post 1940. Which is a huge shame. If he could have just held on a little longer his fight with SRR in 43 could have been one for the ages
                  didnt he end up becoming a pastor or something?

btw how were his finances after boxing? I hope he did well because he genuinely serviced the public and gave them hundreds of rounds of entertainment.

Comment

didnt he end up becoming a pastor or something?

btw how were his finances after boxing? I hope he did well because he genuinely serviced the public and gave them hundreds of rounds of entertainment.
                    iirc he was a down and outer for a while before becoming a minister. I think he was relatively happy, if not rich, after that.

Open to correction on that
                    Last edited by Tom Cruise; 09-20-2016, 04:25 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X