Collapse
No announcement yet.

Two Fights a Year Isn't Enough

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some of you need to really re-think your answers.

4 fights a year would be perfect in a perfect world... but boxing doesn't have the $$ or pull that it used to. The networks and promotions can't afford 4 fights a year from all these top guys let alone the B tier.

The only way all these top guys fight 4 times a year is if some of their bum fights etc Canelo vs Khan, GGG vs Wade, Wilder vs Arreola, Joshua vs Breazeale were on undercards for a bit less $$. But that won't happen because of the state boxing is in.

Whilst I prefer boxing to MMA I want to use the UFC as an example. The UFC business model makes it a lot better for these guys to fight multiple times a year because of the single promoter. How often do you see a UFC card where the co main event could easily main event it's own card?

UFC 200: Lesnar v Hunt, Silva v Cormier, Aldo v Edgar (Interim FW Title)... NONE of these were the main event. All 3 could EASILY headline a card and sell pretty damn well.

UFC 194: Weidman v Rockhold (MW Title) was the co-main.

Now in boxing everyone is obsessed with being the lone star. These guys should learn to understand that you don't HAVE to revolve a whole card around a one sided beatdown. Stack some cards. The promoters these days are amateurs.

Comment

Originally posted by original zero View Post
      what network is going to be buying 4 fights every year from all of these fighters?
      This is one of the problems.

Back in the day when guys had 70-80 fights, do you think all those fights were on premium network tv?

No, they were glorified sparring matches, but were actually sanctioned. Chavez Sr made a career out of this. I remember him fighting several times a month.

We need to go back to the basics.

Too many people are trying to take the Mayweather route. It's a free country so they can do what they want. But just like everyone won't make it to the NBA/NFL, everyone can't be Floyd Mayweather Jr either.

Comment

Deontay Wilder
        Anthony Joshua
        Olesandr Usyk
        Artur Beterbiev
        James DeGale
        Daniel Jacobs
        Jermall Charlo
        Jermell Charlo
        Demetrius Andrade
        Keith Thurman
        Danny Garcia
        Jessie Vargas
        Terence Crawford
        Vasyl Lomachenko
        Gary Russell Jr.
        Oscar Valdez

The list can go on , and on of young fighters that should be fighting 3/4 time a year

Comment

Originally posted by Sadiqkingofko View Post
          fighters should fight every 3 months
          I agree with that. Fight, month off, back into a 8 week camp.

I also don't agree that some fights need a long time to promote. The best way to promote fighters is to have them out fighting.

I also don't mind fighters fighting "lesser" opponents sometimes if they're out 3 or 4 times a year... but when you are fighting every 9 months and your opponent is John Molina Jr, there's no real good excuse for that.

Comment

2-3 times a year is fine for champions and top p4p boxers.

The problem is, it seems like a lot of top fighters only fought one time this year.

Guys are getting hit on the head and training camp is just hell on the body. Younger fighters should fight 3-4 times a year, but champions who are fighting 12 rounders have earned the right to fight only twice a year, maybe three fights max.

Comment

Originally posted by 285Kid View Post
              Deontay Wilder
              Anthony Joshua
              Olesandr Usyk
              Artur Beterbiev
              James DeGale
              Daniel Jacobs
              Jermall Charlo
              Jermell Charlo
              Demetrius Andrade
              Keith Thurman
              Danny Garcia
              Jessie Vargas
              Terence Crawford
              Vasyl Lomachenko
              Gary Russell Jr.
              Oscar Valdez

The list can go on , and on of young fighters that should be fighting 3/4 time a year
              which channel will be paying for these 64 telecasts a year?

Comment

Originally posted by original zero View Post
                which channel will be paying for these 64 telecasts a year?
                When Chavez was fighting 5.6.7 time per year no all those fight were on tv , you just need to pack the arena with fans

Comment

They're already having a hard time fighting twice a year, why even talk about fighting 3-4 times a year? Forget it. Boxing nowadays is mostly just a collection of random fights with no continuity. Wins don't lead to anything fans expected to.

Comment

Originally posted by deathofaclown View Post
                    I agree with that. Fight, month off, back into a 8 week camp.

I also don't agree that some fights need a long time to promote. The best way to promote fighters is to have them out fighting.

I also don't mind fighters fighting "lesser" opponents sometimes if they're out 3 or 4 times a year... but when you are fighting every 9 months and your opponent is John Molina Jr, there's no real good excuse for that.
                    I agree if you fight 4 times a year and have 2 B+ to A+ class fighters, you can get away fighting 2 C-Class fighters

Comment

Originally posted by NateHound View Post
                      Some of you need to really re-think your answers.

4 fights a year would be perfect in a perfect world... but boxing doesn't have the $$ or pull that it used to. The networks and promotions can't afford 4 fights a year from all these top guys let alone the B tier.

The only way all these top guys fight 4 times a year is if some of their bum fights etc Canelo vs Khan, GGG vs Wade, Wilder vs Arreola, Joshua vs Breazeale were on undercards for a bit less $$. But that won't happen because of the state boxing is in.

Whilst I prefer boxing to MMA I want to use the UFC as an example. The UFC business model makes it a lot better for these guys to fight multiple times a year because of the single promoter. How often do you see a UFC card where the co main event could easily main event it's own card?

UFC 200: Lesnar v Hunt, Silva v Cormier, Aldo v Edgar (Interim FW Title)... NONE of these were the main event. All 3 could EASILY headline a card and sell pretty damn well.

UFC 194: Weidman v Rockhold (MW Title) was the co-main.

Now in boxing everyone is obsessed with being the lone star. These guys should learn to understand that you don't HAVE to revolve a whole card around a one sided beatdown. Stack some cards. The promoters these days are amateurs.
                      Very very true. The UFC stacks those cards and boxing rarely does anymore. Don King stacked some cards back in his hay day and was better than any of them today. Bob Arum's whole "Under cards don't matter" philosophy is a joke. What about the May-Pac card? We got nothing on the biggest selling fight of all time. Who the hell wouldn't have fought on that card given the opportunity and for less money because of the exposure. I would filled that card with every name I could find- like twelve fight all day extravaganza. Instead we get Santa-Cruz against some bum? Pathetic.

Well, I'd like to see these guys in the ring more and staying sharp. When fighters don't fight very often, they tend to go downhill more quickly from what I've seen. When they're more active, they stay sharper. Canelo-Smith of course, could have easily been a co-main event. All the A-side talk is pumping these guys' heads up.

Comment

Working...
                      X