No announcement yet.

HBO only made $9 million from Mayweather-Pacquiao

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by OnePunch View Post
    and who's to say that came from boxing? It could just as easily be attributed to Homeland, Dexter, Californication, Shameless, etc etc.......
    Never argued that the full slate was from Floyd; have yet to find the information needed to make any such case. (If there was a late 2012 subscriber number, one could make a better guess at the impact of Floyd's move)

Was simply making the case that Floyd's move to Showtime, even before a single PPV was sold, led to a lot of folks picking up the channel that didn't have it before, with that money going straight into the CBS revenue pot; whether that number was 10m (which I doubt) or 2m(which I doubt as being too low) is beyond my current info.

You consider the folks who picked up Showtime for Floyd (even if they only stayed around from 2013 through the end of 2015, you're still looking at $400 in revenue per home) and Showtime's share on the revenues that Floyd generated on PPV ($220m share for the Pacquiao fight, $150m for the Alvarez fight, $150m for the two Maidana fights, and arguably another $100m from the Guerrero and Berto fights), while also noting how Floyd's heat was used to set the stage for fighters like Danny Garcia, Keith Thurman, Deontay Wilder, and even Kell Brook (Porter was looking to be lined up for Floyd before taking that L; Brook winning got Showtime involved with Matchroom Sport, which likely also opened up the door for Showtime to get their first look at Anthony Joshua), and I don't see how Showtime loss out on the deal.

Floyd's guarantee was more than covered by Floyd's revenues, Showtime pocketed a good bit of money in their own right ($40m, off of the 6 fights, isn't an outlandish guess in my opinion), and Showtime has boxing's next superfight, imo, angled for their channel (Wilder vs Joshua, possibly to unify all the belts, isn't too far off), at the least (I still think that Ward-Stvenson, to unify at 175, happens on SHO, Garcia-Thurman happens on Showtime or CBS, and Daniel Jacobs will likely be fighting for the full WBA 160 belt on Showtime).

It was a calculated risk, but the deal looks like it worked out.

Comment

Originally posted by Jsmooth9876 View Post
      whats the availability of NBC,CBS,Fox,Spike TV ?
      HBO has a near 40 year, unbroken history of being the "home of premium boxing".

Before Haymon's attempt, boxing hadn't been on terrestrial TV, in any meaningful way, for 30 years.

nice try, though.

Comment

Originally posted by daggum View Post
        only a Floyd fan would say good job Floyd when he walks across a bridge and then burns it down after him so no one else can cross. good job Floyd! boxing is dead but you got money so yay?
        You need to climb up from out of your rock. Boxing has been on the downslide for years. The Mayweather Pacquiao rivalry kept it a float by giving boxing a certain life support system. Once the fight happened the sport was taken off it's life support.

Comment

Originally posted by Scipio2009 View Post
          HBO has a near 40 year, unbroken history of being the "home of premium boxing".

Before Haymon's attempt, boxing hadn't been on terrestrial TV, in any meaningful way, for 30 years.

nice try, though.
          i just used your argument, I didn't have to try anything.

Comment

The networks get $9 a buy with 100% of all costs covered.

So network does win.

Comment

Damn......

Comment

Floyd bought a koenigsegg ccx trevita and 3 bugattis with hbos cut lol

Comment

HBO has said before that they do not make much money on PPVs and would prefer they do not exist, considering PPVs are taking viewership numbers from their actual HBO channels, but its either do them or let them go to Showtime or elsewhere.

Comment

Working...
                  X