No announcement yet.

Boxing's obsession with the 0

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Johnwoo8686 View Post
    Now I know you don't know much about boxing or the UFC. Nate Diaz was a handpicked opponent by McGregor, a handpick that backfired. Diaz is a guy who has 11 losses and never won a title and he still whooped McGregor's ass the first time they fought, and he did it without training. That's embarrassing. A lot of the fighters on the UFC's roster were clowning McGregor afterwards. Sometimes, even a cherry picked opponent can end up upsetting the favorite and it happens more so in the UFC than in boxing because there are so many different ways to lose.

People aren't "obsessed" with the zero. People want to see greatness, they want to see dominance. When a guy goes undefeated for years he creates an aura of invicibility around him and we as human beings like to see that. Which is why Mayweather was a bigger draw than Pacquiao despite Pacquiao being the more fan friendly fighter. Dominance brings both adoration and animosity which makes people tune in either to see someone lose or to see if they can continue winning.

I think you're cherry picking your facts like the guy in your avatar cherry picks the opponents and the right timing of fighting opponents.

I'm no fan of McGregor, but he could have pulled out once his original opponent fell out, but he chose to move up 25 pounds, from 145 to 170. In boxing weight class terms, that's moving up from Welterweight to a catchweight in the Light-heavyweight division.

So he should have picked an elite 170 pound opponent to boost?

Comment

Originally posted by casheddie View Post
      Are you justifying the Ortiz fight with that crap cause I'm pretty sure Pac and Amir Khan weren't busy either.
      The Ortiz fight was legit when it occurred. No amount of revisionist history will change that. It's just a shame you weren't following the sport at the time.

We all know what went on with the Pacquiao situation. I'm not going to tread over old ground. You then brought up Khan. Can you kindly tell me what weight division Khan was fighting in around September 2011?

I told you to do some research before you embarrass yourself again, but you didn't heed my warning.

Boxrec is a free resource. Use it when you don't know what you're talking about.

Comment

Originally posted by b00g13man View Post
        The Ortiz fight was legit when it occurred. No amount of revisionist history will change that. It's just a shame you weren't following the sport at the time.

We all know what went on with the Pacquiao situation. I'm not going to tread over old ground. You then brought up Khan. Can you kindly tell me what weight division Khan was fighting in around September 2011?

I told you to do some research before you embarrass yourself again, but you didn't heed my warning.

Boxrec is a free resource. Use it when you don't know what you're talking about.
        ***** Mayweather could've fought Pac at anytime he knows it and he admitted it. Khan could've moved up too.

Comment

***** Mayweather could've fought Pac at anytime he knows it and he admitted it. Khan could've moved up too.
          Pac ran away from extra drug testing. Floyd would've been crucified for fighting Khan at any point in time until they ran out of bogey men. He was criticised for considering Khan when the Maidana/Khan poll went up, so why would anyone have been ok with the fight beforehand.

You're fighting a losing battle kid.

Comment

One problem is you have boxings biggest star calling himself a world champion after beating a guy whos not the best at 154.

Theres no narrative

I dont even watch ufc but i know that mcgregor is the actual champ in 2 weight classes right now.

No casual has a clue whos the champ at welterweight for example.

Its hurting the sport and its gonna continue until ratings really dip even more which will force change. At the moment, enough casuals eat up the BS thats fed to them that guys like anthony joshua are actual world champs. His belt is the epitome of a paper belt yet casuals gobble it up.

Also , the matchmaking is poor. The promotion is poor.

24 7 and the delahoya fight made floyd popular. Created an association with people to floyds lifestyle. Nowadays you have pbc fighters turn up in suits and get up on the podium in press conferences and repeat the same politically correct jargon on how well their camp is going and how they would like to thank al haymon . Of course casuals are gonna get turned off .

Haymon hit me up on my inbox ill do the matchmaking for free
            Last edited by jas; 09-18-2016, 02:00 AM.

Comment

Pac ran away from extra drug testing. Floyd would've been crucified for fighting Khan at any point in time until they ran out of bogey men. He was criticised for considering Khan when the Maidana/Khan poll went up, so why would anyone have been ok with the fight beforehand.

fuck it, you do know more but having been there when he fought those guys, do you think they were the best in the division?

Comment

fuck it, you do know more but having been there when he fought those guys, do you think they were the best in the division?
                Manny was always around, so no, they weren't. That fight didn't happen when it should've, but let's not try and rewrite history. Ortiz (was the champ) and Guerrero (had the interim title and was his mandatory) were still legit fights because they were top welters at the time.

Comment

Manny was always around, so no, they weren't. That fight didn't happen when it should've, but let's not try and rewrite history. Ortiz (was the champ) and Guerrero (had the interim title and was his mandatory) were still legit fights because they were top welters at the time.
                  But I wanna know what fighters at the time would've been good fights for Floyd, or are you saying Ortiz and Guerrero were the best picks aside from Pac.

Comment

But I wanna know what fighters at the time would've been good fights for Floyd, or are you saying Ortiz and Guerrero were the best picks aside from Pac.
                    Here are the ring divisional rankings at the end of 2011 and 2013, after both fights. It's not optimal, but you can cross reference the fighters in the list with their records in boxrec at the time, and determine who would've acceptable to you in both years.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                      X