why is hagler rated sooo highly?? :/

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sicko View Post
    Lets Bring FACTS to the Table and not just FEELINGS

First of all Hitman moved to 154 after losing to Ray Leonard so no he wasn't a "Welterweight" he was a MASSIVE Super Welterweight (154) who constantly talked about getting all the way up to 175 eventually because that is how big Hitman was. Not only that but he was fighting at 154 for like 4 years before stepping in with Hagler at 160 in which he planned on moving to 160 anyway but instead of doing what these guy do this ERA he didn't take no Warmup at 160 or any of that he jumped right in with Hagler and went after the BEST. So that is a LIE Hitman did not move up to 147 so that is a FAIL

So basically Hitman did what most of you want Canelo to do right now and that is to move up from 154 (or 155 in Canelo's case) to 160 to fight GGG

But lets present PROOF shall we:

Here Is Hitman Talking About Eventually Going All The Way Up To 175 starting at 2:10 Now Pay Attention because I know some of you are mentally challenged notice how Hitman is listed as the "WBC SUPER WELTERWEIGHT CHAMPION (NOT WELTERWEIGHT):

I really wasn't going to play this game but this one was too easy of a W to pick up vs people I KNOW don't know anything about boxing. No need to argue with Idiots no need to make things up or play a guessing game, just present COLD HARD FACTS

Guarantee most don't even know that Hitman and Hagler was to fight like 2 years earlier but the fight got Canceled because of a Hitman Injury:

And Hearns ended up knocking fools out at 175 before he was done. Actually, wasn't he a cruiserweight towards the end?

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Corso View Post
      Theres a lot more going on than size sonny! If you study the game and learn Methods & Techniques over measure some guys height and weight you could have a better source to evaluate skills.
      Babe Ruth pitches in the World Series in the early 1920's and still hold World Series records for it!
      You probably didn't even know he started out as a pitcher to begin with, did ya!

Ray
      I knew that actually. No but people get smarter too. Look at the nba before the three point line was never use like it is today or the spacing on the floor. Football game people been evolving the offense defense and special teams. In everything the games been changing, why is it so crazy to have athletes today be better then athletes of 30-40 years ago.

Oh most of the people didn't even read the OP post. I don't know about Hagler I can't comment because I didn't really see him box. Saw youtube a few of his fights but thats it.

Comment

Just for entertainment purposes, let's talk about Hagler's best win. Hearns.

What do you think would happen if he fought GGG?

A guy that Iran Barkly destroyed. just L M A O

Comment

Originally posted by cork View Post
          I knew that actually. No but people get smarter too. Look at the nba before the three point line was never use like it is today or the spacing on the floor. Football game people been evolving the offense defense and special teams. In everything the games been changing, why is it so crazy to have athletes today be better then athletes of 30-40 years ago.

Oh most of the people didn't even read the OP post. I don't know about Hagler I can't comment because I didn't really see him box. Saw youtube a few of his fights but thats it.
          Basketball and Football are nothing like Boxing. You can play Basketball and Football but you can't play Boxing.

Boxing isn't anywhere near the popularity of football and basketball so it isn't going to progress at the same rate. There are no pee wee boxing teams or high school boxing teams but there are football and basketball teams at every age group in every school.

Comment

Originally posted by deathofaclown View Post
            If he was a current fighter, his resume would be torn to shreds on this forum.
            Haha well that's true of any fighter on here. I can just picture if Ali was in the era there would be posters claiming "Ali's never faced anyone like Wilder. Dude got knocked down by Cooper, Wilder will take his head off."

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.DagoWop View Post
              Basketball and Football are nothing like Boxing. You can play Basketball and Football but you can't play Boxing.

Boxing isn't anywhere near the popularity of football and basketball so it isn't going to progress at the same rate. There are no pee wee boxing teams or high school boxing teams but there are football and basketball teams at every age group in every school.
              And no matter how people pretend otherwise, humanity has not changed that much in 30-40 years. The best basketball players of the 70s and 80s would be just as athletically freakish now as they were then. Most of the advancement is in training and nutrition, not humanity itself. There's some, but not so much that people 30 years ago couldn't compete.

Then you add in that the whole "bigger and stronger" thing doesn't apply to a sport with weight classes and the argument is really silly that somehow Hagler athletically or physically can't compete with modern middleweights.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.DagoWop View Post

Boxing is the only sport that is regressing instead of progressing.

There used to be boxing scholarships....boxing clubs...even Churches had boxing gyms.

Mom & Pop stores sponsored boxers.

Back in the day you could close your eyes,throw a rock,and hit a boxing gym...nowadays you'll hit a McDonald's or a Burger King.

Comment

Originally posted by bojangles1987 View Post
                  And no matter how people pretend otherwise, humanity has not changed that much in 30-40 years. The best basketball players of the 70s and 80s would be just as athletically freakish now as they were then. Most of the advancement is in training and nutrition, not humanity itself. There's some, but not so much that people 30 years ago couldn't compete.

Then you add in that the whole "bigger and stronger" thing doesn't apply to a sport with weight classes and the argument is really silly that somehow Hagler athletically or physically can't compete with modern middleweights.
                  That's the most overrated point that could ever be made.

Fighters today SHOULD be much better than they are if ANY of that were true.

Training techniques that produced greatness are long forgotten...that's why we are left with a shell of what boxers used to be.

Fighters in the past had pure water and food without pesticides..chemicals...and lord knows what else...they didn't need to take supplements.

Comment

Originally posted by TOBYLEE1 View Post
                    PPL here trying to minimize Hagler.

One of the most avoided fighters, that lost against Hamsho and that draw against Vito were robberies.

Great chin, technic and stamina. If he was fighting in this era he would had that triple G backing that you see the fanatics doing here on a daily basis
                    Actually he destroyed Hamsho twice brutally.

He fought southpaw or righty comfortably, He had power in either hand, he could box, he had a granite chin, was never trully defeated by anyone and every opponent who fought him went through hell against him, they were never the same or they were demoralized.

Comment

Originally posted by just the facts View Post
                      Considering that you don't view Hagler as a great fighter, please enlighten as to who you do consider great.
                      Well, that would take quite a while.

Duran, Leonard and Hearns for starters.

Comment

Working...
                      X