Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should Robeisy Ramirez defect from Cuba and turn pro?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should Robeisy Ramirez defect from Cuba and turn pro?

So it's been over a week since he won his gold, this guy is highly talented and still only 22. I feel like he could have a bright future ahead of him in the pro game, he's already won 2 gold medals which is great.

Guys like Rigo, Lara, Gamboa, Barthelemy etc defected and have become world champion professionals so do you think he should follow suit?

Another option could be to stay for one more olympics to try and become a 3 time gold medalist and then turn pro at 26.

In the end it's up to him but what do you guys think? Also does anyone know whether he wants to turn pro?
    Stay Amateur for the rest of his career
    4.00%
    Defect and turn pro in the near future
    68.00%
    Stay for one more olympics, then turn pro in 2020
    28.00%
    Stay for two more olympics, then turn pro in 2024
    0.00%

Originally posted by Caught Square View Post
    So it's been over a week since he won his gold, this guy is highly talented and still only 22. I feel like he could have a bright future ahead of him in the pro game, he's already won 2 gold medals which is great.

Guys like Rigo, Lara, Gamboa, Barthelemy etc defected and have become world champion professionals so do you think he should follow suit?

Another option could be to stay for one more olympics to try and become a 3 time gold medalist and then turn pro at 26.

In the end it's up to him but what do you guys think? Also does anyone know whether he wants to turn pro?
    He has the style of a career amateur.Let him collect gold medals.

Comment

Originally posted by Kigali View Post
      He has the style of a career amateur.Let him collect gold medals.
      Don't you think he could adapt his style to the pros?

Comment

i'll pick him up off of the shores of cuba in 3 weeks.

Comment

as a boxing fan i'd love it but we don't know his circumstances. he's probably treated very well in cuba and perhaps he prefers representing his country than fighting purely for personal glory and gain

Comment

Defecting isn't easy. There is a good chance this kid is being watched 24/7 by the government.

Comment

I'm not sure Cubans will have to "defect" to turn pro in the near future.

Comment

I think any Cuban Olympic medal winner should be considering escaping Cuba if they can. Hell anyone on the Cuban national team probably stands a good chance of having a nice successful & profitable boxing career in the evil American empire or in other foreign countries & should consider it with how f#cked up things operate in Cuba.

It does seem like things are on the road to being normalized with Cuba in the states which could lead to some Cubans having more a grey area opening up to a pro career that could help create more upward mobility in Cuba & probably startup some small business success stories as well.

Comment

Originally posted by KeyboardWarrior View Post
                  I'm not sure Cubans will have to "defect" to turn pro in the near future.
                  Yea I agree. There is that sketchy ass contract Cuba signed with AIBA that says all Cuban amateur boxers will only be able to box professional via APB, but idk how binding that is or for how long that is for either, but for sure things are changing with the US & Cuba & I suspect Cuban boxers will eventually feel that change.

Comment

most cuban athletes end up forgotten as soon as their careers end, it be stupid for boxers to stay there, specially with thier short career span, even if he doesn't make it to belt holder, he'd still have the possibility of living a decent life after his career would be over.

Comment

Working...
                    X