Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why are the best fights in boxing not happening?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Blue Heffner View Post
    I agree with everything you've said. I've never been a fan of building a fight. They're professionals. We don't hear any other sport (individual or team) saying, "let the (sporting event) build". I always despise these guys who repeat it. Canelo vs GGG didn't happen. Ward vs Kovalev might not happen. I always looked at it as a fighter getting a good solid payday and fans paying for a glorified sparring match. If the sport died or took a huge fall, a combination of everyone is to blame. Fans included! People pay to see these guy fight minimal opposition (over and over and over and over) and it's sad!

There is nothing beneficial about being a fan boy. There is nothing interesting about fans who sit around sucking one fighter off knowing d*mn well he needs to step up. They begin to repeat the same irrelevant reasons the promoters and fighters are saying.

For example...I read somewhere Garcia might be fighting Berto. What has Berto done to get a title shot? The guy hasn't won a big fight ever and he's easy to knockout. His chin might be one level better than Khans but Garcia, a guy who calls himself a champion, has put his name in the discussion to fight. Easy money! LOL!
    Excellent post

Comment

Originally posted by Chollo Vista View Post
      No, just no.

Do you really agree with the state of boxing right now? Do you agree with the excuses you just laid out?
      This has always been the state of boxing. Boxing, unlike MMA, is a sport not a promotion. If all of these fighters were with one promotion we'd see the fights happen. For an idea of how it would happen just look at Top Rank. All they do is have in-house fights. UFC is just like Top Rank, all in-house fights. MMA is more fractured than boxing. When was the last time UFC worked with another MMA promoter?

Comment

Originally posted by Motorcity Cobra View Post
        This has always been the state of boxing. Boxing, unlike MMA, is a sport not a promotion. If all of these fighters were with one promotion we'd see the fights happen. For an idea of how it would happen just look at Top Rank. All they do is have in-house fights. UFC is just like Top Rank, all in-house fights. MMA is more fractured than boxing. When was the last time UFC worked with another MMA promoter?
        Haymon signed a whole slew of fighters to his brand under one umbrella. Even then, we're still having the same issues. Haymon tried to set a similar model to that of UFC and still the right fights aren't happening.

Regarding the Cold War, that is no more.

HBO will work with Haymon. Arum will work with Haymon. Showtime will work with HBO.

Comment

Everyone is afraid to take a loss

If you lose in ufc, you get bumped down, but are still able to land decent fights, whereas boxing you basically get thrown in the trash heap ie Berto, bute, dawson, etc

Comment

Originally posted by Chollo Vista View Post
            Haymon signed a whole slew of fighters to his brand under one umbrella. Even then, we're still having the same issues. Haymon tried to set a similar model to that of UFC and still the right fights aren't happening.

Regarding the Cold War, that is no more.

HBO will work with Haymon. Arum will work with Haymon. Showtime will work with HBO.
            The more en****** you put into the mix the more problem you're going to have making fights. Showtime tried to work with HBO to make Kovalev vs. Stevenson and HBO wouldn't do it. Showtime was willing to carry Walters vs. Lomachenko but Arum didn't want to move the date. And you act like UFC doesn't build fights. Diaz-McGregor rivalry is pure luck. Nobody was calling Diaz one of the best when he took the first fight. McGregor's opponent got hurt and Diaz took the fight and won. That was pure luck for the UFC side.

Comment

Originally posted by Sugar Adam Ali View Post
              Everyone is afraid to take a loss

If you lose in ufc, you get bumped down, but are still able to land decent fights, whereas boxing you basically get thrown in the trash heap ie Berto, bute, dawson, etc
              I agree that everyone is afraid to take a loss. I don't agree that if you take a loss said fighter will get thrown in the trash heap.

Too many times fighters have always come back and got a chance to reclaim glory.

Comment

"Best fights" usually implies that the result is not a foregone conclusion, therefore the fight carries significant "risk" for each fighter (and accordingly, their promoter). Risk can jeopardize the financial stability and earning power of each fighter - and because money rules this sport, the vast majority of people in the industry a risk adverse.

Chances of killing the cash cow = no fight.

Fans will pay for the best fight they can possibly see - it makes no difference if that best fight is still garbage compared to the potential.

Hell, the biggest fight in history was a borefest that every man and their dog could have predicted. It still made bank.

This is why we have alphabet soup title holders - Joshua, Wilder etc, doing absolutely nothing to put themselves in a position to have to earn a win, because they simply don't need to.

Comment

Because boxing has no real regulation

Comment

I agree with TS 100%. Too any of these casuals on here, yes most of you guys are casuals, would rather wait til 2035 for their favorite fighters to get into an evenly the matched fight just to make sure they get the most bank. These fans are the same as teeny bop fans of boy bands.

Comment

Bump!!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X