No announcement yet.

If only boxing was capable of putting on an event like that

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If only boxing was capable of putting on an event like that

In terms of matchmaking, hype and delivery, this UFC card was a huge success. The undercard perfectly built anticipation up to the main event and then that goes and exceeds expectations. The energy and the 'event' feel (just look at all the A-listers in attendance) was something so far removed from boxing nowadays.

It's amazing how even after all this time boxing promoters in the U.S haven't woken up, looked at what the UFC is doing and tried to duplicate that. Only boxing fans will sit around and wait for fights to marinate while the boxers who should be fighting instead charge you for the right to view their next mismatch. That's precisely why boxing's core fanbase continues to dwindle and why we see even two of boxing's best and biggest names like Golovkin & Crawford's producing such pitifully low numbers for unification fights.
    Last edited by Ham Porter; 08-21-2016, 12:58 AM.

Boxing used to put on events like that at least twice a year in Vegas the past 7 years.

Comment

I won't lie that was pretty awesome

Boxing is so meh right now

Comment

Originally posted by Motorcity Cobra View Post
        Boxing used to put on events like that at least twice a year in Vegas the past 7 years.
        Neither Mayweather nor Pacquiao ever produced stacked cards that delivered. The Top Rank cards almost always sucked and the best we got from Mayweather was Garcia-Matthysse. The reaction was almost always negative.

Comment

Apparently Conor broke his foot. Damn

Comment

get a lot of people on here telling me i should go watch UFC as if thats an insult. Well i would rather watch a replay of mcgregor diaz 2 than watch ward v brand, wilder v arreola, canelo v smith, pacquiao v vargas, spence v bundu etc the fights that the supposedly top boxers are involved in.

Comment

Originally posted by Ham Porter View Post
              Neither Mayweather nor Pacquiao ever produced stacked cards that delivered. The TOP Rank cards almost always sucked and the best we got from Mayweather was Garcia-Matthysse. The reaction was almost always negative.
              Quit repeating what the UFC media tells you to say. There is NO COMPARISON!!!! People vote with their wallets!!!!!!

This is the 5th highest gate in Vegas
              FLOYD MAYWEATHER JR vs. MARCOS MAIDANA
              MGM, Golden Boy, PPV 05/03/14 15,718 $15,024,400.00
              Hopkins vs. Calzaghe blows this out of the water

JOE CALZAGHE vs. BERNARD HOPKINS
              Thomas & Mack, Golden Boy, Don Chargin, HBO

04/19/08

$11,636,400.00
              UFC in Vegas numbers are significantly down

CONOR McGREGOR vs. JOSE ALDO
              MGM, Zuffa, PPV

12/12/15 15,648 $10,006,249.00
              Berto vs. Mayweather did better than this card

FLOYD MAYWEATHER JR vs. ANDRE BERTO
              MGM, Mayweather Promotions, PPV 09/12/15 12,947 $10,062,500.00

Comment

Originally posted by Motorcity Cobra View Post
                Quit repeating what the UFC media tells you to say. There is NO COMPARISON!!!! People vote with their wallets!!!!!!

This is the 5th highest gate in Vegas

Hopkins vs. Calzaghe blows this out of the water

UFC in Vegas numbers are significantly down

Berto vs. Mayweather did better than this card

What does any of this have to do with what I posted? You sound like a ten year old girl lashing out because I insulted your favourite pop star.

Comment

We gotta use our $ to sway the kinds of fights that get put on, and share the word about fights that are good. I paid for Crawford-Postol and I will pay for Kovalev-Ward. I won't buy GGG-Brook and didn't buy Canelo-Khan. And judging by how the Pac-Vargas undercard is looking I might have to pass on that fight as well.

Comment

Originally posted by bigdramashow View Post
                    get a lot of people on here telling me i should go watch UFC as if thats an insult. Well i would rather watch a replay of mcgregor diaz 2 than watch ward v brand, wilder v arreola, canelo v smith, pacquiao v vargas, spence v bundu etc the fights that the supposedly top boxers are involved in.
                    It's a defense mechanism from people who'd prefer to bury their heads in the sand as their favourite sport fades further and further into irrelevancy. Just look at the guy I'm responding to in this thread.

Comment

Working...
                    X