Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nate Diaz is all over US talk shows, all over the news. MMA has over taken boxing :(

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UFC is a huge brand, but it's unquestionably the McGregor effect.

He has raised it to another level.

Comment

Originally posted by Pac=Duran View Post
      Unfortunately it seems that boxing's lack of great fights and stars, due to Floyd's handling of his time at the top and the damp squib that was Pac-May, has caused UFC to really over take boxing.

Their brand is now far stronger than boxing I think, and they're getting all the shine.

Can any American lads speak about the relative hype surrounding each sport on average in the USA?
      You have to take into consideration this was a complete classic that we witnessed last night it was up there with Gatti and Ward and I don't care how diehard you are as a boxing fan Conor McGregor Vs Nate Diaz 2 was an absolute action packed great fight.

It's crazy because the rematch generated so much attention Imagine If they do it a third time after how great the fight was I mean could they apply even more viewings the safe bet is probably yes.

I see myself as a boxing fan first but I love what the UFC are doing I didn't always use to be for it but I've slowly become to really appreciate what they're doing the only way boxing can really realistically compete Is If the boxers start to man up and stop being so greedy and If the promoters actually start to properly work together and stop building guys up for huge falls example being Adrien Broner, Andre Berto and Kelly Pavlik.

Comment

Wouldn't say so.

Why?

It's just a solid matchup and it's vs Conor is the main man in combat sports right now.

Boxing promoters methods of promotion are just so archaic right now. Their social media presence is abysmal, their video production is poor...why don't they hire someone like a Gorilla Productions to help make some videos to hype the event up? Cheap as ****, he does it on the free anyway lol. Where are their embedded-esque videos? Where are fighter vlogs? Why don't they use Boxing Forums?

I refuse to believe the likes of Keith Thurman, can't do way more in terms of making money for each event they participate in. Check out the way the UFC promotes their big events, no Boxing promoter does that. The likes of Eddie Hearn does well in the UK through collab'ing with IFLTV but even then, they are limited compared to what the UFC does.

Comment

The nature of boxing has certainly hurt itself, and you can argue MMA is more popular, sure. I just don't get the point of debating. Look, I want boxing to clean itself up because I'm a fan. Not because I'm concerned about MMA being more popular. Football is bigger than them all here in the US. Soccer is huge around the globe. What does it matter? Boxing is still king to me. People will watch what they want. It doesn't matter to me. Boxing isn't going anywhere.

Comment

MMA should become an olympic sport.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cyclone View Post
              You have to take into consideration this was a complete classic that we witnessed last night it was up there with Gatti and Ward and I don't care how diehard you are as a boxing fan Conor McGregor Vs Nate Diaz 2 was an absolute action packed great fight.

It's crazy because the rematch generated so much attention Imagine If they do it a third time after how great the fight was I mean could they apply even more viewings the safe bet is probably yes.

I see myself as a boxing fan first but I love what the UFC are doing I didn't always use to be for it but I've slowly become to really appreciate what they're doing the only way boxing can really realistically compete Is If the boxers start to man up and stop being so greedy and If the promoters actually start to properly work together and stop building guys up for huge falls example being Adrien Broner, Andre Berto and Kelly Pavlik.
              The business model which has dominated boxing for the past 2 decades is bust. The sport needs to change.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Rumack View Post
                The business model which has dominated boxing for the past 2 decades is bust. The sport needs to change.
                Totally agree with that, It would be very nice If these belts all these silly belts would start to go down in numbers and the people in charge force fights and If the fighter doesn't take it they lose their ranking completely.

It's going to be so difficult to fix boxing and make it better because it definitely deserves to be up there as one of the major sports it's just as you've pretty much sort of said it's been in bad hands.

Comment

How do you guys propose boxing gets fixed? What are the main problems? Fighters being too free? Too many meaningless belts? Weight classes? Promoters too involved? Fighters afraid? What is it?

Comment

Originally posted by NYC8224 View Post
                    How do you guys propose boxing gets fixed? What are the main problems? Fighters being too free? Too many meaningless belts? Weight classes? Promoters too involved? Fighters afraid? What is it?
                    The network and promotional issues are a mess. The business is greedy and corrupt. I don't know how that can be fixed. You have so many people involved. Having one champ per division would be great. There are people on this site who follow that stuff more though and can input more. I'm aware of the problems, but anymore I just try to focus on the fighters and fights.

Comment

Originally posted by NYC8224 View Post
                      Too easy for powerful figures to flout the rules, both promoters and fighters. The belts are a big part of it. Can be picked up or ditched at will by the biggest players. Ultimately, if there's no competitive structure you don't have a real sport. What boxing needs to be is kind of obvious, an authority that will enforce that competitive system. One champ per division, the champ faces the top challengers. How to get there is the hard question.

Comment

Working...
                      X