No announcement yet.

Who handled Dirrell better?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by j0zef View Post
    I don't know if you're not understanding me or are refusing to acknowledge it.

You're asking me to choose between between Golovkin and DeGale if Golovkin and Andre Dirrell had a cookie bake off, and DeGale and Dirrell dug swimming pools.
    Seriously, you Golovkin fanboys are incredible... Why not just admit that DeGale did a better job? I'm not saying he's better than Golovkin or anything.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBoxingXpert View Post
      Seriously, you Golovkin fanboys are incredible... Why not just admit that DeGale did a better job? I'm not saying he's better than Golovkin or anything.
      This has absolutely nothing to do with Golovkin fanboyism or hate. The comparison is silly.

Your main argument is that Golovkin lost vs. Dirrell in some random encounter in Mississippi and that Dirrell was knocked down twice by DeGale.

The knockdowns tell me absolutely nothing. Amateurs have significantly less KDs due to different gloves and headgear, as well as length of the fight.

Your term term 'convincingly' is arguable - as two of the refs scored the fight as a draw less the knockdowns (114-112).

And do I care about the fight that Dirrell won? I do not. There's no video of that first fight, and I have no idea what he 'won'. There is a video of their Olympics fight, a video that shows Andre dropping a decision against Golovkin despite being significantly bigger. Per the stats, he's 3 inches taller and has a 5 inch reach advantage.

If I was a troll I'd tell you that considering the circumstances Golovin did a better job and that he's the greatest and you all suck. But I'm not. The comparison makes no sense since it's completely different set of rules. When you add the 11 years timegap between the fights, it's ridiculous.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBoxingXpert View Post
        Sure. I'll bite. AFAIK GGG - Dirrell 2 (the one in the US which Andre won) has no footage but unless there was some egregious bias in the scoring one has to assume that GGG didn't handle Dirrell very well, nor did he look particularly impressive in beating Dre in the Olympics: first time I watched i certainly saw it closer than the cards indicate (as with GGG - Bute) but subsequent viewings do show that GGG landed significantly more 'clean' shots.

Degale vs Dirrell - Dirrell loooked like **** (or Degale looked brilliant - matter of perspective I guess) through to about round 6 + the 2 KDs then Degale faded - as usual - and Dre took over in the second half. I can't remember my scores at the time, but the 114 - 112 (which could be looked at as 8 - 6 or 24 - 18 if the scoring systems were remotely comparable) given by 2 judges seems about right. Compare to the 18 - 23 vs Golovkin and I'd say the victories over Dirrelll are of a similar magnitude - maybe with GGG having the edge.

But then, of course, GGG has that razor thin loss to Dirrell in the States - I would like to see that one - which has to give the edge to Chunky overall.
        Last edited by Citizen Koba; 08-17-2016, 02:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Koba-Grozny View Post
          Sure. I'll bite. AFAIK GGG - Dirrell 2 (the one in the US which Andre won) has no footage but unless there was some egregious bias in the scoring one has to assume that GGG didn't handle Dirrell very well, nor did he look particularly impressive in beating Dre in the Olympics: first time I watched i certainly saw it closer than the cards indicate (as with GGG - Bute) but subsequent viewings do show that GGG landed significantly more 'clean' shots.

Degale vs Dirrell - Dirrell loooked like **** (or Degale looked brilliant - matter of perspective I guess) through to about round 6 + the 2 KDs then Degale faded - as usual - and Dre took over in the second half. I can't remember my scores at the time, but the 114 - 112 (which could be looked at as 8 - 6 or 24 - 18 if the scoring systems were remotely comparable) given by 2 judges seems about right. Compare to the 18 - 23 vs Golovkin and I'd say the victories over Dirrelll are of a similar magnitude - maybe with GGG having the edge.

But then, of course, GGG has that razor thin loss to Dirrell in the States - I would like to see that one - which has to give the edge to Chunky overall.
          You're a fair man.

Comment

GGG KO'ed Bute in brutal 1 punch fashion

Comment

Originally posted by KeyboardWarrior View Post
              GGG KO'ed Bute in brutal 1 punch fashion
              Ummm. Yes. I know. I was alluding to the fact that that prior to the knockout the fight looked fiercely competitive at a casual viewing - as did the Dirrell fight - when actually in both cases Golovkin was comfortably ahead on the cards.

Comment

No doubt that this former European lightweight contender Martin Kristjansen handled Dirrell better than both:

https://youtu.be/-fJpylQgOHM

Scooled. Kayoed. By a small lightweight.

Comment

Ummm. Yes. I know. I was alluding to the fact that that prior to the knockout the fight looked fiercely competitive at a casual viewing - as did the Dirrell fight - when actually in both cases Golovkin was comfortably ahead on the cards.
                  Bute did give Golovkin some problems in the fight.

Comment

Working...
                  X