Collapse
No announcement yet.

The myth Golovkin is a small MW

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

unnoficialt weights are taken by the networks on cheap scales and when the fighters are clothed.

if you believe the 30 day weights golovkin is 165ish lbs. i think he puts on less than 10 lbs after the weigh in.

not a small MW, but not a big one, either. a big MW doesnt make the weight for 10 years and fight there in his mid 30's. alvarez likely walks into the ring a bit heavier than golovkin does.

Comment

I think he's probably an average middleweight. Maybe a guy who just fits perfectly into a weight class with no trouble at all. Some are lucky like that. Froch said the same about himself 168 when he was active, that his body just seemed made for it.

If he was a big MW, he wouldn't be making MW so easily approaching his mid 30's. Being big for your weight is when guys are boiling themselves down even when they're in their 20's.

I don't think he's a small MW either though. I doubt he could make 154 in a healthy manner.
      Last edited by deathofaclown; 08-12-2016, 07:40 AM.

Comment

170 is the max he can make with his height. If he could do more, he would have. But he can't because he is already so muscular. Which means it will be very hard for him to go over that weight in his next weight class, making him fight at a disadvantage. He is a perfect middleweight fighting at his full potential. He has stayed in MW throughout the years. A true disciplined professional.

Comment

He's a perfect-sized middleweight, which is why the idea that he HAS to move up or move down is kind of ridiculous, and so are the constant comparisons to fighters that entered the pro game when they were young and moved up because they had no choice. Golovkin is perfectly fine where he is.

I woud LIKE to see him move up at some point, but the idea that he HAS to is kind of ridiculous considering how easily he makes middleweight. It's exactly where he belongs for now.

Comment

Originally posted by deathofaclown View Post
            I think he's probably an average middleweight. Maybe a guy who just fits perfectly into a weight class with no trouble at all. Some are lucky like that. Froch said the same about himself 168 when he was active, that his body just seemed made for it.

If he was a big MW, he wouldn't be making MW so easily approaching his mid 30's. Being big for your weight is when guys are boiling themselves down even when they're in their 20's.

I don't think he's a small MW either though. I doubt he could make 154 in a healthy manner.
            I think Froch was borderline small for super middleweight, at least weight-wise. He weighed like 172 or 173 on fight night for most his fights.

Comment

Originally posted by bojangles1987 View Post
              I think Froch was borderline small for super middleweight, at least weight-wise. He weighed like 172 or 173 on fight night for most his fights.
              yeah he didn't seem to rehydrate much.

But i still think he would have struggled to make 160, like GGG would 154, hence them probably fitting perfectly into their weight class without much compromise.

It's also worth nothing that neither guy seems to gain much weight at all between fights. Their walk around weights are probably fairly close to what they are on fight night.

Comment

I love how OP compares GGG to Andy Lee. Lee isn't small MW because of his weight. It is the height which counts and Lee is a giant. He looks downright displaced in MW. You guys are so **** for Golovkin I swear. You probably dream about him at night, Paulie.

Comment

he's the perfect size for a middleweight, he's certainly not big anyway.

Comment

People used to say Martinez was a small MW aswell.

Comment

Originally posted by animelive View Post
                      I love how OP compares GGG to Andy Lee. Lee isn't small MW because of his weight. It is the height which counts and Lee is a giant. He looks downright displaced in MW. You guys are so **** for Golovkin I swear. You probably dream about him at night, Paulie.
                      Size is determined by weight in boxing not height, i listed lots of MW's why single out Lee?
                      Last edited by Robbie Barrett; 08-12-2016, 08:30 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X