Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ring ****zine Greatest Fighter Alive Countdown

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did GGG die? This list is some BULLSHIT!!

Comment

Terrible so far. The Ring died to me around 2005

Comment

Originally posted by soul_survivor View Post
        why should a fighter who got KOd by Tarver and Johnson and whos best win is Toney (the rest of Jones resume is very thin) be above any of the top 10?

I can possibly understand ranking him above Lamotta but I dunno who else is alive atm so Jones may not get in the top 10 cos of some other names.
        Oh I dont know, almost 15 years of complete dominance would be the first thing that comes to mind. Started at jr mw and won straps all the way to heavyweight also comes to mind. He beat some very good fighters along the way. Consensus P4P #1 for a decade or so? No?

Everyone loses when they stay too long and Ill be the first to admit he has stayed about 12 years too long.

Comment

Originally posted by Sun_Tzu View Post
          Oh I dont know, almost 15 years of complete dominance would be the first thing that comes to mind. Started at jr mw and won straps all the way to heavyweight also comes to mind. He beat some very good fighters along the way. Consensus P4P #1 for a decade or so? No?

Everyone loses when they stay too long and Ill be the first to admit he has stayed about 12 years too long.
          He was p4p from 1994 to 2004? No that's not true.

And what "very" good fighters did he beat? Toney and Hopkins. Every single other win, apart from beating Tarver in a close first fight was against shot fighters (Tito who put on a good performance), c level opponents (hi Ruiz) and so on.

Now, I'm not saying Jones doesn't deserve recognition for his consistency and the fact that he looked levels above those he DID fight but when we're talking top 10, we're talking the creme de le creme. I dunno who is alive and who's not but there are many all time greats who would deserve a mention above Jones.

however, I would rank him above Lamotta whos place above Pacquiao and Holmes is very weird indeed.

Comment

Originally posted by -PBP- View Post
            They only did a top 10 list. This is how they describe it:

And they also left out Roy Jones and B-Hop
            thanks. so no roy or bhop. I just figured they were at 11 and 12, which would be a travesty.

Comment

Originally posted by -PBP- View Post
              10. Larry Holmes
              9. Manny Pacquiao
              8. Jake Lamotta
              7. Floyd Mayweather Jr.
              6. Julio Caesar Chavez Sr.
              5. Marvin Hagler
              4. Evander Holyfield
              3. Pernell Whitaker
              2. Roberto Duran
              1. To Be Determined

http://ring tv.crav eonline.com/news/431685-who-is-the-greatest-fighter-alive-no-4-revealed

Interesting series on Ring ****zine. Looks like #1 will be Sugar Ray Leonard.

What do you think?
              julio cesar chavez of Mayweather....hell naw...mayweather beat more champions, won more titles and beat more champions....went undefeated

JCC and Pacquaio over Roy Jones......hell naw

Jones deserves to be lower top ten if guys like Manny, Hagler, JCC are that high....he was clearly the best of his era...didnt have a legit loss until he was 35.

Mayweather could or should be top 5, some may argue top 3

LaMotta is great but he does not belong over Hopkins or Jones who both had success at 160 but also became champions at 175, were also more dominant in their prime

Comment

Pacquiao is definitely above Lamotta and Whitaker and above Mayweather too. That shouldn't even be debatable, especially with regards to Lamotta.

Evander and Sr should both be above Hagler.

SRL is obviously number one.

Duran at 2 is acceptable.
                Almost every list made by experts have Mayweather ahead of Pacquiao. Deal with it.

Comment

He was p4p from 1994 to 2004? No that's not true.

And what "very" good fighters did he beat? Toney and Hopkins. Every single other win, apart from beating Tarver in a close first fight was against shot fighters (Tito who put on a good performance), c level opponents (hi Ruiz) and so on.

Now, I'm not saying Jones doesn't deserve recognition for his consistency and the fact that he looked levels above those he DID fight but when we're talking top 10, we're talking the creme de le creme. I dunno who is alive and who's not but there are many all time greats who would deserve a mention above Jones.

however, I would rank him above Lamotta whos place above Pacquiao and Holmes is very weird indeed.

He beat Toney sometime in 1994 and didnt lose to Tarver until sometime in 2004. Its been more than 20 years but Im pretty sure Toney was considered P4P #1 when they fought so Roy takes that from him there and again its been some years but I would be willing to bet he was still P4P #1 by almost every orginization or ****zine that bothers to do such a thing until Tarver Starched him sometime in 2004. As far as his competition he fought what he fought and Im not going to sit here and run down his record fight by fight. There were no Hagler or Hearns or SRLs for him to fight, what he did do is make world class fighters look like rank amateurs. Roy didnt appeal to everyone I get it. I had some buddys that hated him to my astonishment but I like big butts and they liked big **** better. To each their own.

Comment

How would Holmes make this list but not Lennox? That literally makes zero sense to me.

Comment

Originally posted by craigus1990 View Post
                      How would Holmes make this list but not Lennox? That literally makes zero sense to me.
                      Holmes is better than Lennox

Comment

Working...
                      X