No announcement yet.

The Future of Andre Ward

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Future of Andre Ward

He conquered the entire 168lbs division and soon, when he is done with Kovalev, he will also have conquered the 175lbs divison. When he's done with Kovalev, I would like to see him beat some other strong guys in the division, such as Stevenson, to establish his dominance. When Ward has taken over 168lbs and 175lbs, do you then expect him to be able to take over the cruiserweight division? I could see him beating guys like Glowacki, Lebedev, Bellew and Usyk, but heavyweight would be too much for one with such limited power. How far do you think Ward can go?

wards future will be in ruins come november.

Comment

Ward is too small, not enough fast and doesn't have power to compete at cruiserweight. Guys like Lebedev will just walk through his punches and crush his bones.

Comment

Dunno if Ward is big or strong enough for cruiser.

Comment

You mean if he beats Kovalev not when he beats Kovalev. You don't know the future. I'm betting money on Kovalev to beat Ward by KO. Are you betting money on Ward who you already have winning in advance? I doubt it. Ward couldn't hurt a mediocre 168 pound fighter with his best punches. He has no power to hold off Kovalev. Kovalev has a long smashing jab that will keep Ward from outboxing him at long range. Brand probably wouldn't last more than three rounds with Kovalev. I think the future of Ward is a KO loss in November.

Comment

Originally posted by Shpacman View Post
            Ward is too small, not enough fast and doesn't have power to compete at cruiserweight. Guys like Lebedev will just walk through his punches and crush his bones.
            everyone said the same about Toney...He lost to Griffin twice at 175 but went on to have more success at 190 and up

Its more about skills, than speed and power. If you outbox someone and dont get hit a lot you can win as well.

He could beat some decent cruiserweights, I suppose, but their does come a point where size can be too much

we shall see. He said thats a goal of his to win titles above 175.

Comment

Originally posted by boliodogs View Post
              You mean if he beats Kovalev not when he beats Kovalev. You don't know the future. I'm betting money on Kovalev to beat Ward by KO. Are you betting money on Ward who you already have winning in advance? I doubt it. Ward couldn't hurt a mediocre 168 pound fighter with his best punches. He has no power to hold off Kovalev. Kovalev has a long smashing jab that will keep Ward from outboxing him at long range. Brand probably wouldn't last more than three rounds with Kovalev. I think the future of Ward is a KO loss in November.
              seeing thats the only way Kovalev will have a chance to win, thats a save bet,

I doubt he would win a decision over ward...too hard to hit clean and has that great jab.

if boxing was about who you hurt, willie pep and pernell whitaker wouldve never been ATG

Styles make fights.....Kovalev smashed Chilemba....oh wait, he went the full 12 rounds. He is a lesser fighter, with less dimensions than Ward, less speed, countering, and he throws the same jab, Ward throws it various ways. The jab troubled Kov

Comment

Ward's lack of punching power would make him a harmless 200 pounder. Boxing skills alone won't make him a good cruiserweight without at least a little punching power to back up those boxing skills. He hit 168 pounder Brand over and over with his best punches without ever having Brand in trouble. His power will be much less effective against cruiserweights than it was against Brand. Cruiserweights will have big advantages over Ward in height, reach, weight, strength and punching power. He won't do well fighting in the 200 pound weight class.

Comment

Originally posted by chris232 View Post
                  wards future will be in ruins come november.
                  take away Kov's power..and what do you have?

You'll see come november.

Comment

Originally posted by therealpugilist View Post
                    seeing thats the only way Kovalev will have a chance to win, thats a save bet,

I doubt he would win a decision over ward...too hard to hit clean and has that great jab.

if boxing was about who you hurt, willie pep and pernell whitaker wouldve never been ATG

Styles make fights.....Kovalev smashed Chilemba....oh wait, he went the full 12 rounds. He is a lesser fighter, with less dimensions than Ward, less speed, countering, and he throws the same jab, Ward throws it various ways. The jab troubled Kov
                    Styles have an influence on fights but styles don't make fights. Punching power and the ability to take hard punches and continue have a lot to do with how fights turn out and who wins them. Kovalev is vastly superior to Ward in both of these important assets. I am betting on Kovalev to win by KO because that is how I believe he will win and I get much better odds than just betting on him to win. Kovalev is a pressure fighter with a long strong jab and accurate well timed power punches with both hands.That's a good style to beat Ward. If the fight goes the full 12 rounds I think Kovalev will win more of those rounds than Ward.

Comment

Working...
                    X