Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This fight wasn't about "marinating"

Comment

Originally posted by -Kev- View Post
      I'm sure in the month and week leading up to the fight every boxing fan will be excited
      I agree but the build up wasn't meant for the boxing fan. We were excited when it was announced. This build up has done nothing to build excitement for this fight outside of boxing fans.

Comment

Originally posted by Motorcity Cobra View Post
        After Chilemba vs. Kovalev and Ward vs. Brand I'm less excited to see the fight than I was back in March after Kovalev vs. Pascal and Ward vs. Sully B. This build up had the opposite effect on me. Roc Nation is trash. HBO is trash. If ya'll can't afford to put on good fights ya'll really need to get out the game. Being a boxing fan is already expensive and ya'll trying to fleece us with these PPV's and subscription to watch sub par fights. I'll be streaming Ward vs. Kovalev and You get no more money out of me this year
        Wasn't Ward the one who wanted three tune ups? That's how it was reported back then. HBO wanted Ward to fight Kovalev sooner.
        Correct me if you have better information but that was the word one year ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Motorcity Cobra View Post
          After Chilemba vs. Kovalev and Ward vs. Brand I'm less excited to see the fight than I was back in March after Kovalev vs. Pascal and Ward vs. Sully B. This build up had the opposite effect on me. Roc Nation is trash. HBO is trash. If ya'll can't afford to put on good fights ya'll really need to get out the game. Being a boxing fan is already expensive and ya'll trying to fleece us with these PPV's and subscription to watch sub par fights. I'll be streaming Ward vs. Kovalev and You get no more money out of me this year
          I hear you...this ppv is gonna be a bust. Lol @ hbo doing everything they can to build the fight, but failing miserably. First Kovalev goes the distance, then ward...then they get them in the ring together and neither guy has any charisma. All hbo did during both fights was make excuses why neither guy could get a stoppage. I'm right where i was at when i first heard they might fight...interested just cuz it's 2 top 5 p4p guys.

Comment

I believe the fight took a huge hit in terms of buys. It's still significant fight. But it's not as big of an event now imo.

First off neither Kovalev or Ward looked great in their last bout. Kovalev was sloppy and wild and Ward couldn't finish a 40 year old and stunk up the joint.

Secondly, the promotion following the Ward's victory was some of the worst I've ever seen. They bring in Kovalev at the end of the fight and they pretty much showed respect and gave one line answers. The crowd wasn't really too thrilled. They need a Fury-Wilder moment or something close to that and they didn't get it. That's both of their fault.

Now we're finding out that the PPV will be sandwiched between Pacquiao's PPV and Cotto's. The Cotto PPV doesn't matter, but the Pacquiao one does. Especially if they load up the card. That fight is two weeks before the Kovalev fight.

They had to give fans a reason to buy the PPV and they didn't. I'd argue that they gave them a good reason to stream the fight.

Total disaster from top to bottom.

Comment

I agree. I'm still excited for the fight but they bought for subpar competitors for no reason.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCell8 View Post
                I believe the fight took a huge hit in terms of buys. It's still significant fight. But it's not as big of an event now imo.

First off neither Kovalev or Ward looked great in their last bout. Kovalev was sloppy and wild and Ward couldn't finish a 40 year old and stunk up the joint.

Secondly, the promotion following the Ward's victory was some of the worst I've ever seen. They bring in Kovalev at the end of the fight and they pretty much showed respect and gave one line answers. The crowd wasn't really too thrilled. They need a Fury-Wilder moment or something close to that and they didn't get it. That's both of their fault.

Now we're finding out that the PPV will be sandwiched between Pacquiao's PPV and Cotto's. The Cotto PPV doesn't matter, but the Pacquiao one does. Especially if they load up the card. That fight is two weeks before the Kovalev fight.

They had to give fans a reason to buy the PPV and they didn't. I'd argue that they gave them a good reason to stream the fight.

Total disaster from top to bottom.
                Great post. You said it better than I could. As far as the post fight interview. Max Kellerman is horrible! Drunk Larry Merchant would've asked Ward wat thee actual fuck was that?

Comment

Kovalev / Ward, if it happens, will be a significant fight for Boxing... but may be commercially a failure.

With Kovalev, you know what you are getting, crushing power and a personality.

Ward... he is talked up at a skilled boxer, but that is all you get. After today's fight... when he had ample opportunity to show some of that magic and grow his brand... he failed.

Honestly, I feel GGG vs Brook should be on PPV, and Kovy/Ward should be a regular HBO fight.

Comment

Boxing fans want to see this fight. Just like the Crawford postol fight. We saw how that worked out.
                    Wonder if hbo are going to do any 24/7 episodes

Comment

Originally posted by _Maxi View Post
                      Wasn't Ward the one who wanted three tune ups? That's how it was reported back then. HBO wanted Ward to fight Kovalev sooner.
                      Correct me if you have better information but that was the word one year ago.
                      HBO agreed to the two tune up fights. The confusion was if the fight that was canceled should count as a tune up because there was also a timetable. Both fighters had to have their tune ups by the end of July. Ward got a little extension because he couldn't get a fight.

Comment

Working...
                      X