Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has the "Mexican style" run it's course?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think some people have a very simplistic view of "the Mexican style". It's simply not just mindless brawling. The best Mexican fighters have very sound fundamentals. I dare say, I actually thought Frampton looked more "Mexican" than Santa Cruz yesterday.

Comment

margarito is basically retired so yes mexican style is dead. floyd ducked it into oblivion

Comment

No, the brawler, pressure fighter style (if thats what OP is getting at) will always work in pro boxing. It would work better with more power friendly gloves, and refs that didnt allow excessive clinching, but it will still work.

Santa Cruz just isnt that great a practitioner of it. His engine is elite, he has good height and long levers, but technique wise he is poor, and he lacks any real power at the top level.
        Last edited by Tom Cruise; 07-31-2016, 07:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitman Hodgson View Post
          I think some people have a very simplistic view of "the Mexican style". It's simply not just mindless brawling. The best Mexican fighters have very sound fundamentals. I dare say, I actually thought Frampton looked more "Mexican" than Santa Cruz yesterday.
          Yeah when i think of guys like Morales, Barrera, Sanchez, Chavez sr etc i think of great boxers who want to cause hurt.

Great fundamentals, great 'pro' defence (might take punches, but the steam is often taken off with head movement and anticipation), combination punching, technique etc etc. All the stuff that makes a great pro fighter.

The main thing which makes it a 'mexican' style to me, is that these ****ers take all that ability and technique, and use it to cause real pain for their opponents.

Comment

Originally posted by jreckoning View Post
            I want to see fights where both guys run from each other.

Two runners in the ballet that is boxing.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitman Hodgson View Post
              This^^^ Frampton fights like a Marquez/Cotto amalgamation almost.

Comment

Originally posted by Silky-Flow View Post
                If that was the case it would be GGG, Kovalev, Santa-Cruz etc pulling in millions of viewers on ppv, not the likes of Floyd.
                The 'likes' of Floyd? No. There's just Floyd pulling in the millions - Lara? Rigo? Slicksters who ain't doing so well in the popularity stakes. No, the point is that not every one has the ability to pull off slick defensive wizardry - to be able to do it at the top level is really quite rare, but those who can are amongst the top in the sport.

Of course, there is also, and always has been a number of equally talented offensive fighters, also technically brilliant in there own way, if stylistically different. Pressure and volume on the offensive is often characterised as basic brawling, but it doesn't have to be, and when practiced by a technically sound fighter is every bit as effective at winning fights.

Comment

Originally posted by PivotandRoll View Post
                  This^^^ Frampton fights like a Marquez/Cotto amalgamation almost.
                  That's the comparison I make as well. He's Cotto without the jab.

Comment

Originally posted by ElBossHogg View Post
                    Mexican style is what makes boxing exciting.

Mexican style means balls = fighters who fight with balls is the reason boxing is alive.

A bunch of safety first fighters will kill the sport.
                    My fellow Mexicano explains facts to fools. Pink azz Phaggots like Tago, Alexkid, looking for the chorizo to ride.

War mo fo's.

Comment

The Mexican school is not efficient. Gvozdzyk tried to fight like a Mexican and almost got knocked out by a c level fighter.

Boxers always win.

Lomachenko tried to fight Salido Mexican style and got bullied. Gamboa toyed with him.

Comment

Working...
                      X