Bernard Hopkins took calculated risks, he is 1 of the most overrated modern ATG

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by therealpugilist View Post
    pound for pound to who? ring ****zine

boxing was totally stacked back then and Tarver definitely wasnt top 3 p4p with anyone who had sense, if he was he wasnt their long

his performances were inconsistent
    To every ****zine, every pundit, anybody with sense? Tarver cleaned out a stacked division, including the flattening of the best fighter in the world and arguably of his generation. He absolutely deserved to be there.

Comment

Originally posted by b00g13man View Post
      You said "Cazaghe the ATG" or Tarver....

Calzaghe sure as hell wasn't deserving of the ATG moniker then, and he probably doesn't deserve it now. Especially since by far his best win is an "overrated" ATG who also happened to be past his prime.

Oh, Tarver was the much bigger threat at that point. By the time he fought Tarver, Calzaghe only had the Lacy win to his name. I'll take the much bigger guy who KO'd superman over that.
      Calzaghe is one of the greatest super middleweights of all time'

cant take that away from him, and won the legit middleweight title

not many fighters would be favored over him in his prime at 168.

a casual fan would think tarver was a bigger risk because he beat Jones.....Tarver was inconsistent and fought down to the level of his opposition whereas Calzaghe brought it every fight. No one ever looked good vs Him

Tarver lost to a weight drained, washed up 70% Jones. He was a head case. Had the fight won and gave it away...ironically that day is my sons birthday...i'll never forget that fight...literally the day he was born.

Comment

I personally think Hopkins didnt want to deal with certain styles until he had to.....i.e. the Jones rematch took almost 20 years to make...why? Jones was older, slower, got ktfo, and didnt have the reflexes, speed, movement, counters, or combos that saw Hopkins lose clearly

Calzaghe was a stylistic nightmare for a fighter like Hopkins who fights at 2 gears....he warms up and fights a steady pace.
        Jones was greater IMO. But to say Hopkins didn't want to deal with Calzaghe? Stop.

Comment

bro.....i can re-post your posts if you like...tiberi doe....thadzi doe....Hopkins more skilled doe...thats not explaining your position

you didnt even acknowledge what I asked you and I'll ask you again

you claim you doubt Toney wouldnt go undefeated vs Hopkins 160 opposition

do you think Hopkins would go undefeated vs who toney fought at 160...guys like Michael nunn, Mike McCallum 2x, Doug Dewitt, reggie johnson, etc.
          Hopkins is more skilled. Anyone with two functioning eyes can see that if you actually watch their fights.

I have clearly answered that question directly in the other thread but I'll answer it again; No I don't.

The only person I think would beat him is McCallum and I don't think Toney beat McCallum either.

You can post my posts, yeah. I've posted many times in that thread.

Comment

Originally posted by DreamerUSA View Post
            Was'nt saying it was a moral victory, just saying the fact he did as well as he did speaks to his skill level. By Roy standards it was a competitive fight. Roy destroyed pretty much everyone outside of him and Griffin, in the first fight, up until Tarvar.
            I can dig it

hell roy went fights without losing rounds

it really shows how great Jones was, win winning 3-4 rounds is competitive...kinda like what floyd went through....a guy wins a few rounds and its "competitive" lol

Comment

yea, ignore the fact that Toney fought better opposition period at 160..you dont acknowledge that...your deflecting skills suck..repeating the same thing over and over doesnt make it valid

tiberi did well, but he lost the fight.....he threw a lot of arm punches and didnt land cleanly as much as the uneducated eye may think....whenever an underdog does better than expected, people lose their mind....just like some people saying maidana beat mayweather when he didnt win no more than 4 rounds.
              Ok so you're denying that Tiberi was robbed against Toney?

All I need to know.

Comment

Originally posted by IMDAZED View Post
                Jones was greater IMO. But to say Hopkins didn't want to deal with Calzaghe? Stop.
                styles makes fights....he wasnt jumping at a jones rematch until he was well done...hopkins dont like speed and movement.

Look at his face vs dawson 2...he knew he couldnt figure that kid out

Comment

Calzaghe is one of the greatest super middleweights of all time'

cant take that away from him, and won the legit middleweight title

not many fighters would be favored over him in his prime at 168.

a casual fan would think tarver was a bigger risk because he beat Jones.....Tarver was inconsistent and fought down to the level of his opposition whereas Calzaghe brought it every fight. No one ever looked good vs Him

Tarver lost to a weight drained, washed up 70% Jones. He was a head case. Had the fight won and gave it away...ironically that day is my sons birthday...i'll never forget that fight...literally the day he was born.
                  That doesn't mean fuck all. It's a historically shit division.

Way too much revisionist history here. Nobody in their right mind viewed Calzaghe as a bigger threat than Tarver back then.

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
                    Ok so you're denying that Tiberi was robbed against Toney?

All I need to know.
                    I havent watched the fight in years...it looked competitive when I watched it but Tiberi got credit for a lot of shots that didnt land.

I'll be fair and watch the fight and score it again. I do remember people claiming it was a robbery but it was pretty close from my memory.

If you feel he lost cool, im not gonna lie and say I watched the fight yesterday.

Give me a few hours and I'll watch it in its entirety with 3 scorecards....no even rounds and ill do a card where tiberi gets the close rounds, toney gets them and the other will be neutral

Comment

Originally posted by b00g13man View Post
                      That doesn't mean fuck all. It's a historically shit division.

Way too much revisionist history here. Nobody in their right mind viewed Calzaghe as a bigger threat than Tarver back then.
                      their is no revisionist history.....I was watching Calzaghe since the 90s and Tarver the late 90s early 2000s

Tarver was not a bigger threat then to me and isnt now....different folks different strokes.

you cant speak for everyone...I was never that high on tarver, especially seeing how my boy Harding kicked his arse and how he let a 70% jones back in a fight he was winning, and losing to Glen Johnson who he clearly was better than....Tarver fought down to the level of his opponents...calzaghe was far more consistent

Comment

Working...
                      X