Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Frank discussion: Which Race has produced the best fighters?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by King Conan View Post
    Please Note: This thread is NOT asking you which race is “inherently superior” when it comes to boxing. Instead, it is asking you to have a frank discussion about which race you believe has PRODUCED the best fighters so far and currently has the best fighters, and why you think this is.

Let's bring the issue out into the open and discuss it in an intelligent, civil manner, backed with facts.

Our 4 major groups will be: Blacks/African-Americans, Whites/Europeans, Latinos/Hispanics, and Asians/Pacific-Islanders.

Here’s some arguments for each group just off the top of my head. (If I miss out certain fighters, please do bring them up).

1. Blacks/African-Americans have most notably produced:

Current: Floyd Mayweather Jr, Andre Ward, Terrance Crawford
    Past: Jack Johnson, Joe Louis, Ray Robinson, Muhammad Ali, Henry Armstrong, Archie Moore, Jersey Joe Walcott, Sonny Liston, Joe Frazier, George Foreman, Larry Holmes, Mike Tyson, Evander Holyfield, Marvin Hagler, Ray Leonard, Roy Jones Jr, Bernard Hopkins, Pernell Whitaker, etc.
    -Produced the most Heavyweight greats and house-hold names.

2. Whites/Europeans have most notably produced:

Current: Gennady Golovkin, Sergey Kovalev, Vasyl Lomachenko
    Past: Rocky Marciano, Jack Dempsey, Max Schmeling, Harry Greb, Max Baer, Stanley Ketchel, Jake Lamotta, Bob Fitzsimmons, Willie Pep, Benny Leonard, Mickey Walker, Gene Tunney, Jimmy Wilde, Kostya Tszyu, Ricky Hatton, Vitali Klitschko, Wladimir Klitschko, Carl Froch, Joe Calzaghe, etc.
    -Invented modern boxing and produced multiple legends.

(It should be noted that during WW2, a significant percentage of young men in Europe and the Soviet Union were killed off in the war and significantly weakened the talent pool for many years to come)

3. Latinos/Hispanics have most notably produced:

Current: Roman Gonzalez (The #1 P4P today), Danny Garcia
    Past: Roberto Duran, Carlos Monzon, Alexis Arguello, Salvador Sanchez, Wilfredo Gomez, Wilfredo Benitez, Julio Cesar Chavez Sr, Ricardo Lopez, Hector Camacho, Felix Trinidad, Oscar Dela Hoya, Sergio Martinez, Miguel Cotto, Erik Morales, Juan Manuel Marquez, Marco Antonio Barrera, etc.
    -Produced the most greats at all the Lighter weights as well as having the most fearless warriors.

4. Asians/Pacific Islanders have most notably produced:

Current- Manny Pacquiao, Nonito Donaire, Naoya Inoue
    Past: Pancho Villa (Francisco Guilledo), Fighting Harada, Flash Elorde, Ben Villaflor, Caferino Garcia, Yoko Gushiken, Jung-koo Chang, Gerry Penalosa, Jiro Watanabe, Kim Ki-soo, Koichi Wajima, Kuniaki Shibata, Masao Ohba, Myung-Woo Yuh, Amir Khan, Naseem Hamed, David Tua, etc.
    -Mostly produced forgotten lighter weight fighters in history who at times have broken on to the world scene and have become legends.

So, let’s have a frank and civil discussion based on facts: which race out of the 4 mentioned above do you feel have produced the best fighters, and why? (whether it’s cultural, economic, social, and historical reasons)
    Human race, period

Comment

I think the Asians have done extremely well in the lightest of the weight classes. The Hispanics have as well. It's very even there. Whites and blacks have had stars there, but not nearly as many.

From 118 to 135, I have to go with Hispanic. There are too many legends from the Latin countries to dispute this.

For 140 and above, it's a mix of black and white. I don't know. That debate could go on forever. I once looked at the heavyweight champions, assuming there would be way more black champions than white and there were more, but not by much. The whites may have passed everybody at cruiserweight and Light Heavyweight is fairly close. Middleweight is very much a mixed bag, with Latins like Mozon, Italians like LaMotta and Graziano and blacks like Robinson and Hagler. Welterweight is about the same.

I can't really say that one race has any kind of edge over the others. When I first started watching boxing, all the best were black was what I thought. However, the more I watched, this wasn't always the case. There are so many who aren't that I had to abandon that. In truth, boxing IMO comes from the poorest people usually. They are the ones who have the grit and raw determination to go into such a dangerous sport. Some have asked why there are no white American boxers. Hell, the white Americans typically either play football or video games. However, many compete in MMA. Boxing has a deeper place in black American culture than white American culture, currently. You know how many white guys I've heard talk about boxing in my area? A handful. Black guys? Most of my black friends and those I work with. When I post something about boxing on my facebook page, if anybody responds to it at all, they are black(unless it's my brother, ha). So it is a combination of economic conditions and culture IMO. I don't know too many black dudes who are into golf. The culture just isn't there. Obviously this doesn't mean they can't play if they want to. Tiger Woods and all. They just aren't interested. So what we're looking at here really, is who HAS come along. There are probably many guys of whatever race who would have been great fighters but chose not to pursue it. Robert DeNiro is one I believe. He naturally moved like a fighter, always stayed in shape and was truly dedicated to his work(just watch Taxi Driver). But why should he fight for peanuts when he can act for millions? The culture is definitely there for the Mexicans and Puerto Ricans. Long traditions of many fine fighters and now the Eastern Europeans are building their own legacies. As far as white fighters, the Brits have always been there. You listen to their crowds, too. Those crowds are a big part of the event. They get into it more than anybody. Over all, I can't pick one being better than the rest. All four categories have contributed so much.

Comment

Greatest heavyweight of all time is Rocky Marciano- 49-0, beat Joe Louis.

Greatest lighter weight fighters are all Latinos. Mexico and Puerto Rico have produced legends after legends.

Comment

Originally posted by therealpugilist View Post

I hope you arent one of those butthurt Mayweather detractors who are upset they havent seen him lose....Mayweather is an all time great...get over it...and he earned his status
          Fact is whites and Hispanics have contributed more to boxing.

Lets see-

Whites: Classy guys like Rocky Marciano (who beat Joe Louis), Harry Greb, Jack Dempsey (served in army), Jimmy Wilde, Klitschko Brothers, have all contributed most to boxing. The original great fighters were white.

Blacks: Lying draft-dodger black-supremacist white-hater in Ali, Ear-biting coward in Tyson, steroid-cheater in Holyfield, Domestic abuser Ray Robinson, and IV CHEATING CATCHWEIGHT COWARD Fraud Jr. What have they done to help boxing?

Compare the number of black cheaters to white cheaters.

Boxing shows people true colors.

Comment

The old generation I would say blacks. This new generation I would say Latinos

Comment

Originally posted by TheBoxingXpert View Post
              Mayweather. RJJ. Ali. Foreman. Lewis. Holyfield. Ward. I could go on and on and on. Threads like these are good, it shows which people that really hates the fact that boxing is historically dominated by black fighters.
              Marciano/Dempsey> Draft-dodging Ali and steroid using "Evan" Fields.

Calzaghe destroyed RJJ who was overrated.

Fraud IV Pedweather will never be greater than Duran.

So anyone who likes non-black fighters hates boxing now?

Comment

That would be the Human Race! The only animal that kills for sport!

Comment

Good to see some old time asian fighters get a shout out. Korea, Japan, Thailand and Phillipines used to have some great fighters.

Comment

So many fighters missed out from each race here.

Black's have a deeper pool of great fighters but when it comes to the top tier it's a mixed bag. You can't omit guys like Greb, Walker, Wilde, Fitzsimmons, Tunney, Ross, Benny Leonard, Duran, Chavez, Pep from a top 20 and I'm missing some I'm sure. The stick on top 3 greatest fighters ever is Robinson, Greb and Armstrong in any order. Then you have Duran, Pep, Louis, Benny Leonard, Gans, Ali. The only thing I know for sure Is Floyd Mayweather and Manny Pacquiao don't deserve to be amongst the to 20 ATG'S.

Comment

Originally posted by King Conan View Post
                      Please Note: This thread is NOT asking you which race is “inherently superior” when it comes to boxing. Instead, it is asking you to have a frank discussion about which race you believe has PRODUCED the best fighters so far and currently has the best fighters, and why you think this is.

Let's bring the issue out into the open and discuss it in an intelligent, civil manner, backed with facts.

Our 4 major groups will be: Blacks/African-Americans, Whites/Europeans, Latinos/Hispanics, and Asians/Pacific-Islanders.

Here’s some arguments for each group just off the top of my head. (If I miss out certain fighters, please do bring them up).

1. Blacks/African-Americans have most notably produced:

Current: Floyd Mayweather Jr, Andre Ward, Terrance Crawford
                      Past: Jack Johnson, Joe Louis, Ray Robinson, Muhammad Ali, Henry Armstrong, Archie Moore, Jersey Joe Walcott, Sonny Liston, Joe Frazier, George Foreman, Larry Holmes, Mike Tyson, Evander Holyfield, Marvin Hagler, Ray Leonard, Roy Jones Jr, Bernard Hopkins, Pernell Whitaker, etc.
                      -Produced the most Heavyweight greats and house-hold names.

2. Whites/Europeans have most notably produced:

Current: Gennady Golovkin, Sergey Kovalev, Vasyl Lomachenko
                      Past: Rocky Marciano, Jack Dempsey, Max Schmeling, Harry Greb, Max Baer, Stanley Ketchel, Jake Lamotta, Bob Fitzsimmons, Willie Pep, Benny Leonard, Mickey Walker, Gene Tunney, Jimmy Wilde, Kostya Tszyu, Ricky Hatton, Vitali Klitschko, Wladimir Klitschko, Carl Froch, Joe Calzaghe, etc.
                      -Invented modern boxing and produced multiple legends.

(It should be noted that during WW2, a significant percentage of young men in Europe and the Soviet Union were killed off in the war and significantly weakened the talent pool for many years to come)

3. Latinos/Hispanics have most notably produced:

Current: Roman Gonzalez (The #1 P4P today), Danny Garcia
                      Past: Roberto Duran, Carlos Monzon, Alexis Arguello, Salvador Sanchez, Wilfredo Gomez, Wilfredo Benitez, Julio Cesar Chavez Sr, Ricardo Lopez, Hector Camacho, Felix Trinidad, Oscar Dela Hoya, Sergio Martinez, Miguel Cotto, Erik Morales, Juan Manuel Marquez, Marco Antonio Barrera, etc.
                      -Produced the most greats at all the Lighter weights as well as having the most fearless warriors.

4. Asians/Pacific Islanders have most notably produced:

Current- Manny Pacquiao, Nonito Donaire, Naoya Inoue
                      Past: Pancho Villa (Francisco Guilledo), Fighting Harada, Flash Elorde, Ben Villaflor, Caferino Garcia, Yoko Gushiken, Jung-koo Chang, Gerry Penalosa, Jiro Watanabe, Kim Ki-soo, Koichi Wajima, Kuniaki Shibata, Masao Ohba, Myung-Woo Yuh, Amir Khan, Naseem Hamed, David Tua, etc.
                      -Mostly produced forgotten lighter weight fighters in history who at times have broken on to the world scene and have become legends.

So, let’s have a frank and civil discussion based on facts: which race out of the 4 mentioned above do you feel have produced the best fighters, and why? (whether it’s cultural, economic, social, and historical reasons)
                      Obviously my peoples, mi gente, latinos, unidos para siempre.

But you just got red K'd for ruining the latino roster - you include Danny "hYPE Job" Garcia and exclude Maidana. I oughta slap you through the screen.

Comment

Working...
                      X