Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kell Brook is brave but Saunders & Jacobs are afraid?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Motorcity Cobra View Post
    If Brook was offered the same deal as Eubank Jr, $3-$4 mil, why is he considered brave when that's what Jacobs and Saunders wanted? When they said that they were called scared or accused of ducking.

Kell didn't want to fight Vargas because he was getting paid less than Vargas $1.7 mil. The money wasn't good enough for the risk he was taking. Which brings me back to what most of us have been saying. Nobody is afraid of GGG. They want to be compensated properly for the risk they're taking.

You are exactly right, the fighters want to be adequately compensated for the risk they are taking. The problem that some fans have however, is what constitutes 'adequate compensation' and how much true 'risk' is involved. Plenty on this site like to rag on GGG's level of competition in order to say he isn't really that good.

But, if he isn't that good, then why is it a huge 'risk' for these other so-called champions to face him? Shouldn't they feel confident that they can expose him? The reality is many of these fighters think GGG is dangerous as hell, which is why adequate compensation means career high paydays.

Also, isn't it is more of a risk for a career 147 pounder to take on GGG, than a career 160 pounder? I'd say it is, therefore the $1.5+mil offered to BJS seems fair to me. Brook is a relatively crap fight, but it's not like GGG went to Hearn and said hey what WWs you have lying around....the fight was offered to his team after frustrating negotiations with other MWs, and they took it.

Comment

Originally posted by DreamerUSA View Post
      I'm certainly not defending GGG on taking Brook, but the answer to your question is obvious. Jacobs vs GGG will never generate the revenue to justify that kind of money, and I do mean never. The only place any fighter is making that kind of change who is'nt named Canelo, Mayweather, Pac, Cotto or a heavyweight, is in the UK. As far as BJS goes. Do some reserach into Matchroom vs Frank Warren and again the answer is crystal clear. Warren can't compete with Matchroom when it comes to money. If BJS was with Matchroom we would already have an undisputed MW champion.

Plus the whole compensated properly has become such a generalized statement that it has no meaning. Hell I think I should get a million dollars and *******s all day for taking the risks I do at work, but good luck with that.
      Why not?

Just because K2/HBO is unwilling to risk the money doesn't mean that someone else isn't willing to take the risk. DiBella/Showtime/Barclays Center, I have no doubt, would be willing to take the chance on the fight, laying out the money and looking to make it back on the back end.

In due time, anyway; once Jacobs-Mora II happens and Golovkin-Brook happens, the WBA will mandate the fight, DiBella will make his budget and dig into his pocket, and we'll see how big the fight really is.

Comment

Working...
      X