No announcement yet.

Beautiful Boxing Styles

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Redd Foxx View Post
    Oh! How could I forget Maravilla, Sergio Martinez! The VanGoh of boxing. A post-impressionist who never followed strict form but let his style flow, creating some of the most fluid and timeless moments in the sport.

After all the stupidity going on @ MW right now, this was a nice trip down memory lane. Most of them are no longer boxing. Sometimes it feels like Boxing moves so damn fast.
    Last edited by kiaba360; 07-09-2016, 09:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by kiaba360 View Post
      After all the stupidity going on @ MW right now, this was a nice trip down memory lane. Most of them are no longer boxing.
      So true. MW and SMW were really interesting for a while. They're ghost towns now.

Comment

Originally posted by Redd Foxx View Post
        So true. MW and SMW were really interesting for a while. They're ghost towns now.
        I remember people complaining about Martinez's opposition, but Barker was honestly not a bad fighter and neither was Macklin. Sergio was also vulnerable enough at that point to where you couldn't be certain that he would win, but he was pulling off these 11th hour stoppages. I still don't know how he stopped Barker with that cuffing hook. You had Sturm and Sergio taking on pretty much everyone from the UK, which of course wouldn't really interest the American audience all that much, but the fights usually turned out to be competitive We never got Sturm/Sergio though, a missed opportunity. Sergio looked like Little Mac standing in front of Chavez.
        Last edited by kiaba360; 07-09-2016, 10:02 PM.

Comment

The most beautiful display of boxing from my point of view is a boxer who's technical, well rounded and highly skilled. Out think their opponent using defense and timing and counter punching.

Harold Johnson, Ezzarsd Charles, Carlos Monzon, Emile Griffith, Floyd Mayweather, Alexis Arguello, Joe Louis etc and the fighters I find the most pleasing to the eye.

But as a boxing fan I can appreciate and see the beauty in most styles.

I love watching someone like Dick Tiger aggressively slip punches and go to work on the inside, masterfully manuevering his way into position.

I love watching Sonny Liston seeking and destroying behind a piston jab.

Manuel Ortiz just non stop aggression, not really caring for defense and breaking his opponent down with volume.

Roy Jones do everything "wrong" from a technical standpoint but use his God given gifts like speed, reflexes and agility to dominate.

The only style I struggle to enjoy is ugly, sloppy fighting like Shawn Porter for example.

Comment

Benny Leonard and Ken Buchanan were often described as 'beautiful technicians' and you can see why by watching their footage. It's just a pity there wasn't more footage of prime Benny L.

Currently Lomachenko does it for me.
            Last edited by DJ Enerate; 07-10-2016, 10:06 AM.

Comment

The beauty of The Sweet Science is to hit and to not get hit. We all know who specializes in this art.

Comment

Said what you want, i love the style of Linares.

Comment

I love smoothness and compactness, regardless of style. I also love to see that a fighter is thinking in the ring and not merely acting on instinct.

Lomachenko's already been mentioned; he has a beautiful style. Chocolatito's a joy to watch. Golovkin's got a nice, compact way of stringing punches in bunches (though he's a bit raw defensively). Marquez is poetry in motion when on the offensive. Canelo strings punches together beautifully. Maris Breidis has some of the most explosive combos I've seen at the higher weights, and is just generally a very smooth fighter to watch.

Back in the day James Toney had one of the most epic styles I've ever seen. Perfect mixture of silky smooth styles and down and dirty dogfighting. Absolutely loved to watch him fight.

Comment

Originally posted by TSS View Post
                    The beauty of The Sweet Science is to hit and to not get hit. We all know who specializes in this art.
                    Fury's already been dropped by Cunningham.

Comment

joe calzaghe?

Comment

Working...
                      X