Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has there ever been a P4P entrant who has fought the worst opposition for 4 years?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ward's responsible for some of his inactivity, but there were also injuries, kelly pavlik losing his mind, gennady golovkin not accepting 168 or even 164, etc.

to be a fair, level poster, you need to consider everything. you've got a reputation for being a whiney little kid

you're also ignoring that ward's signed to fight sergey kovalev, a naturally bigger, p4p ranked fighter, and one of the best punchers in the sport.

so yeah

Comment

To answer the question, I certainly can't think of any.

Is it likely that his skills have diminished after his (mainly) self imposed layoff? In all likelihood they have but there hasn't been a moment, and it usually takes a few of those, where we can definitively say he no longer ranks amongst the most skilled fighters in the sport.

After the run of fights he had, the subsequent layoff and now acclimatising himself to a higher division before he takes on the biggest challenge there is for him to face, I can't be too critical of his choice of opponents. He's preparing himself correctly. Should he have been jettisoned from the list whilst inactive? And if so, at what point? He hadn't retired and nor had he been beat.

He put himself in stasis, like the Lieutenant Ripley of boxing. He's awoke to find that the Alien has been Krushed and a far more menacing foe looms on the horizon. So once again he's stepped up to the plate.
      Last edited by - Ram Raid -; 07-01-2016, 08:22 AM.

Comment

Answer: No.

Ward holds this moniker.

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
          ward's responsible for some of his inactivity, but there were also injuries, kelly pavlik losing his mind, gennady golovkin not accepting 168 or even 164, etc.

to be a fair, level poster, you need to consider everything. you've got a reputation for being a whiney little kid

you're also ignoring that ward's signed to fight sergey kovalev, a naturally bigger, p4p ranked fighter, and one of the best punchers in the sport.

so yeah
          In other Words: You stay highly ranked if you have tried to make a couple of fights and if you sign to fight a high ranked fighter. LOL!

Comment

Originally posted by BattlingNelson View Post
            In other Words: You stay highly ranked if you have tried to make a couple of fights and if you sign to fight a high ranked fighter. LOL!
            people said GGG took risks when he signed to pirog...the fight never happened so how is that considered a risk lol

Ward actually beat elite opponents, and hasnt lost since he was a teenager.

Litigation, injuries cant be ignored because it doesnt support the agenda

dude had issues going on, personally and legally.

Dude just fought in March is still highly skilled.

People act like the guy ducked off ten years like foreman lol

Comment

Originally posted by therealpugilist View Post
              people said GGG took risks when he signed to pirog...
              How can he fight an injured fighter?

Comment

thought this was gonna be a thread about GGG lol

i love how people give credit to ward for things that happened half a decade ago and things that hasn't happened yet lol

Comment

Originally posted by DJ_Quaaludes View Post
                  I disagree that amateur pedigree has nothing to do with professional P4P rankings. I think while professional accomplishment is the initial and by far more important aspect, the fact that guys like Ward/Lomachenko/Golovkin are such storied amateurs lends credence to the mindset that they are 'that good'.

If amateurs meant nothing in P4P lists, Lomachenko shouldn't be anywhere near even touching P4P lists, but he is in many's top 10. As a professional Lomachenko hasn't really beaten anybody to suggest he should be P4P.

And therein lies the problem in P4P lists, there is no real determination of how one becomes P4P. You seem to stress in ring professional accomplishments in the form of wins over highly touted fighters. I agree that should be a major aspect, but also think that the eye test plays a part in it. If the number of fighters you'd be willing to bet even money or favor over a certain fighter are extremely limited (1 or 2), that basically says that 'someone' you think pretty highly of.

There can be a lot of uncertainty as to just how good that fighter may actually be, but the fact remains for one reason or another you pick them to beat most others. Again this is a difference though, as I'm looking at P4P as 'how good do we THINK a fighter is' and you are looking at as 'how good do we KNOW a fighter is'. Neither way of thinking is wrong.
                  Look, maybe some modern sporting "experts" bring up amateur pedigree for their p4p lists but they are idiots because the amateur sport is vastly different and you should know better. Btw, I've never heard anyone with any credence in the sport claim Lomas amateur record should put him on the p4p list. Have you?

And there is a simple certainty of who should and should not be p4p. If a fighter is beating the best opposition put in front of him, he should be p4p, if he is doing so convincingly, he should be highly rated p4p.

Ward went on a period of beating AA, Kessler (controversially) and Froch, that led him to be considered p4p, many had him top 5. No one can complain about that. But since then, following Dawson, his opponents haven't even been mediocre, not to mention an almost 2 year period when he didn't even box.

The reality of modern p4p lists is this:

1. They are created to promote a fighter who is being pushed by a major network. Examples include Ward being p4p for years while not doing anything, Loma being p4p while having his best win be Russell and Roman going from not even being p4p to jumping over the likes of Wlad, Kov and Pacquiao to become number one.

2. Fan made lists pushing guys who they like due to nationality and race, not as bad as the corporate lists but just as biased.

Comment

larryxxx gone into hiding as well after I asked a simple question LMAO

I've been humiliating you guys for years now.

Like I say, be a fight fan, not a fighter fan.

Comment

Originally posted by - Ram Raid - View Post
                      To answer the question, I certainly can't think of any.

Is it likely that his skills have diminished after his (mainly) self imposed layoff? In all likelihood they have but there hasn't been a moment, and it usually takes a few of those, where we can definitively say he no longer ranks amongst the most skilled fighters in the sport.

After the run of fights he had, the subsequent layoff and now acclimatising himself to a higher division before he takes on the biggest challenge there is for him to face, I can't be too critical of his choice of opponents. He's preparing himself correctly. Should he have been jettisoned from the list whilst inactive? And if so, at what point? He hadn't retired and nor had he been beat.

He put himself in stasis, like the Lieutenant Ripley of boxing. He's awoke to find that the Alien has been Krushed and a far more menacing foe looms on the horizon. So once again he's stepped up to the plate.
                      Inactivity and poor opponents should be enough to have someone taken off the list.

Not to mentioned he refused to fight Bute when the fight meant something and purposefully took time off, no one forced him to.

It shouldn't take 4 years for a supposed p4p fighter to fight a world level opponents. That's the bottom line. Yall can try and twist it however you like.

But, if he does beat Kovalev, which I feel he can in a close, ugly contest, then all credit to him and he gets put back in the top 10.

Comment

Working...
                      X