Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wow. One thing i learned from thurman and porter is that.....

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If we're setting the bar of being impressed at Floyd, then we won't be impressed again for a long time.

Comment

Originally posted by -PBP- View Post
      Versus someone like Porter it just seems difficult to do. Brook had some success but when Porter closed distance he wrapped him up whereas Thurman tried to move away or ended up getting trapped on the ropes. Porter is just so low to the ground and gets under your punches and is probably a frustrating guy to fight.

Even if Mayweather fought Porter, I don't think it will be a fight where Mayweather would control the center of the ring and maintain distance. I would expect Porter to get inside and Mayweather to school him in the pocket and off the ropes.
      I agree.

He's wild and sloppy but he's awkward. Still, I think Thurman could work on his jab more.

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
        Why not stay on the outside and Jab? Just because he hs a shorter reach doesn't mean he couldn't be successful doing that.

I agree with you for the most part though although it did concern me how easy Porter found it (at times) to trap Thurman on the ropes and then when he got Thurman there he seemed quite useless.
        Give credit to Porter. He jabbed with Thurman and held his own. In fact, I was wondering why he didn't use his jab more.

That said I do agree that Thurman can improve his jab output. He'd be really tough to beat if he ever hones that.

Comment

Originally posted by Kigali View Post
          Manny is not an A level fight and not in the same league as Mayweather.
          Stop hating. Pacquiao is the greater fighter.

Comment

So you learned by watching 2 of the top welterweights actually fight each other that Floyd was underrated??

I always knew he never fought either. Therefore its pretty damn factually no one knows if he'd actually have beaten them.

Comment

I think you should give these two WARRIORS much more credit they showed a plethora of skill, will, and intestinal fortitude.
              It does make you appreciate how much of an A fighter Floyd really is.
              Last edited by SkillspayBills; 06-26-2016, 02:32 PM.

Comment

The thread starter is about 50% right. When you watch other boxers fight, you do realise that he is a cut above the rest. For people that aren't hating, that's pretty much common knowledge.

Other fighters aren't as precise, adept at controlling range, efficient at manoeuvring out of dangerous situations.

Part that's ****ed up is the inability to appreciate the skills boxer of a lower level put into play. I thought that Thurman was pretty effective with catching Porter on the way in and between exchanges (even those he lost). Porter surprised me; I regarded him as an unskilled brute but he was able to effectively neutralise Thurman's jab with his own, close the distance, and put in some good body work.

Fight was entertaining. It goes to show you that the biggest problem with boxing isn't the quality of opponents but how they are matched. You had two equals in the ring and it produced a competitive and entertaining fight.

Comment

Originally posted by SkillspayBills View Post
                  I think you should give these two WARRIORS much more credit they showed a plethora of skill, will, and intestinal fortitude.
                  It does make you appreciate how much of an A fighter Floyd really is.
                  We can't possibly hold fighters to that standard, though. How many fighters like Floyd Mayweather Jr. have ever existed in boxing? Of course Keith Thurman and Shawn Porter aren't on that level.

They were sure as hell better than the unskilled bum rushing at the guy throwing random haymakers that OP said the fight was.

Comment

Originally posted by IMDAZED View Post
                    Give credit to Porter. He jabbed with Thurman and held his own. In fact, I was wondering why he didn't use his jab more.

That said I do agree that Thurman can improve his jab output. He'd be really tough to beat if he ever hones that.
                    Oh I agree for sure. I've always thought Porter's jab was underrated.

I was just saying that just because Thurman has a shorter reach doesn't mean he can't outjab a guy.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Punch-Out!! View Post
                      Stop hating. Pacquiao is the greater fighter.
                      Greater than who?

Comment

Working...
                      X