No announcement yet.

Hunter: Brand wasn't the first choice. Skoglund refused VADA testing

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Motorcity Cobra View Post
    He goes through a list of guys they wanted to fight and said he found it interesting that Skoglund accepted the fight but said no when they brought up VADA testing
    Ok thanks. I had hoped he gave a little more info as it seems very strange that VADA testing alone would make Skoglund turn the fight down. After all he is a sauerland fighter and heavily tested already. That makes me wonder if there was a financial aspect to this also, but unfortunately Hunter apparently doesn't say.

Comment

Originally posted by boliodogs View Post
      I can read you ****** ***ing Ahole. I just don't believe a bunch of lying BS. when I read it. That no light heavyweight better than Brant is willing to take Vada tests and fight Ward is pure horse****. Brant is about as tough a fighter as cherrypickers Ward and Hunter are willing to fight right now. You are damn right I like top Russian area boxers like GGG, Kovalev and Loma while you drool over Mr.Excitement Andre Ward. When Ward has had enough practice fights and actually fights Kovalev, who has been ready to fight Ward since the day Ward moved to 175, you will see why I like Kovalev. I will like whatever fighters I chose to like and could give a fuc less what an idiot in red says about it.
      A GGG fan should not call anybody a cherrypicker.

Put Ward in with the trash those guys fight and he'd be Mr Excitement...and won't get hit nearly as much.

Kovalev is going to let you down.

Comment

What does that even have to do with anything? P4P does not mean drawing power. Gonzalez is the #1 P4P fighter and can't even headline his own show. GGG is #3 P4P and can't offer Saunders more money than Vargas is getting for Brook. Kovalev is #3 P4P and he has to go to other guys hometowns to fight. The only person on the P4P list that can offer guys good money is Canelo.
        Well the difference between Gonzales and Kovalev compared to Ward is this.

What I was talking about was Cleverly turned down a fight with Ward because he was going to make more money fighting a virtual no name fighter in Brauhmer.

Now for Ward who is P4P best or second or whatever you have him at, its pathetic that a potential opponent can make more money against a no name guy than against him. Ward is gold medalist, won the super six, has won multiple world championship and has been in a couple decent size fights. Plus in Oakland he has a good following. With that resume still other guys can fight someone else and make more money elsewhere than against him. Its a tough spot for Ward to be in.

Its sad that a guy like Brauhmer can offer a guy like Cleverly more money than Ward can for a fight.

Comment

Originally posted by boxinghead530 View Post
          Well the difference between Gonzales and Kovalev compared to Ward is this.

What I was talking about was Cleverly turned down a fight with Ward because he was going to make more money fighting a virtual no name fighter in Brauhmer.

Now for Ward who is P4P best or second or whatever you have him at, its pathetic that a potential opponent can make more money against a no name guy than against him. Ward is gold medalist, won the super six, has won multiple world championship and has been in a couple decent size fights. Plus in Oakland he has a good following. With that resume still other guys can fight someone else and make more money elsewhere than against him. Its a tough spot for Ward to be in.

Its sad that a guy like Brauhmer can offer a guy like Cleverly more money than Ward can for a fight.
          But you're wrong. Just because he isn't big in America doesn't mean he's a no name. He has to have some type of name if he's selling out stadiums in Germany and can afford to pay opponents well. You're showing American bias. You're whole argument is null and void because of your bias.

Comment

Originally posted by BattlingNelson View Post
            Ok thanks. I had hoped he gave a little more info as it seems very strange that VADA testing alone would make Skoglund turn the fight down. After all he is a sauerland fighter and heavily tested already. That makes me wonder if there was a financial aspect to this also, but unfortunately Hunter apparently doesn't say.
            Well I guess the next step would be for someone to ask Skoglund or Sauerland. But nobody is even reporting Skoglund turned down the fight due to VADA testing so I doubt they'll even bother to investigate the story. That's a pretty big statement to make by Hunter and if I were Sauerland I'd be out there clearing my fighters name. He's looking like a cheat.

Comment

Who should he have fought since his return?
              Someone good perhaps?

Comment

But you're wrong. Just because he isn't big in America doesn't mean he's a no name. He has to have some type of name if he's selling out stadiums in Germany and can afford to pay opponents well. You're showing American bias. You're whole argument is null and void because of your bias.
                Regardless if dude has a name in Germany and can offer more money. In the whole boxing realm dude is just an alright fighter.

Plus you are missing what im saying. Im saying its pathetic and a damn shame that a guy of Wards caliber, who is P4P best, an Olympic gold medalist, won the super six, participated in some decent size fights and is undefeated and is now Americas best fighter that he cant offer a guy bigger money than some dude from Germany. To me that is a damn shame. Maybe not to you but to me that is a damn shame.

Comment

Originally posted by Boxfan83 View Post
                  I understand to an extent, people/fans expect more from Ward but its not like Ward is a champ fighting a bunch of nobodies. Personally to me as a fan I cant stand for champs to fight nobodies but thats not the case here. Wards actually just a contender right now so he has every right to take a contender route to prepare for the Champ.
                  I expect more because you guys put him up there. Yes he is fighting a bunch of nobodies. Tune ups are against credible guys? C'mon man! P4P top 5(according to fans like you) a Contender? WTF?!?!
                  I'm done!

Comment

Originally posted by boxinghead530 View Post
                    Regardless if dude has a name in Germany and can offer more money. In the whole boxing realm dude is just an alright fighter.

Plus you are missing what im saying. Im saying its pathetic and a damn shame that a guy of Wards caliber, who is P4P best, an Olympic gold medalist, won the super six, participated in some decent size fights and is undefeated and is now Americas best fighter that he cant offer a guy bigger money than some dude from Germany. To me that is a damn shame. Maybe not to you but to me that is a damn shame.
                    You're still trying to equate talent with drawing power. It doesn't equate. Once you figure that out then you will realize why Ward doesn't draw like Braehmer. He has only fought outside of Germany once. He draws in Germany that's why he stays there. The same reason Ward stays in Oakland.

You have Canelo and GGG are consistently putting over 10,000 butts in seats. Cotto also to a lesser degeree, probably 8-10,000. Then you have Crawford and Ward putting 7,000+ in seats in their hometowns. Outside of those fighters who else is consistently putting butts in seats in America? It's an indictment on the American boxing scene, not Ward. Ward has done his job, which is to win. What else can he do besides win?

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Fantastic View Post
                      Someone good perhaps?
                      What's he ranked? I can't find him on boxrec. You have any other suggestions?

Comment

Working...
                      X