No announcement yet.

100% Boxing did not cause Ali's Parkinson's

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 100% Boxing did not cause Ali's Parkinson's

There is no way boxing caused Ali to get parkisons disease. How many fighters do you know that have parkinsons? Ali and Roach. Out of the millions who have boxed, people only know of 2. I can name many other fighters who have got hit in the head more times and took more punishment than Ali. Parkinsons is still a disease that people do not fully know what causes it. But saying boxing causes it cuz the most famous boxer has it and basically no other boxer has it is absurd. Ali most likely was always gonna have Parkinson but DEFINITELY him boxing made it worse. But he was always gonna be diagnosed with it.

Originally posted by muslimer12 View Post
    There is no way boxing caused Ali to get parkisons disease. How many fighters do you know that have parkinsons? Ali and Roach. Out of the millions who have boxed, people only know of 2. I can name many other fighters who have got hit in the head more times and took more punishment than Ali. Parkinsons is still a disease that people do not fully know what causes it. But saying boxing causes it cuz the most famous boxer has it and basically no other boxer has it is absurd. Ali most likely was always gonna have Parkinson but DEFINITELY him boxing made it worse. But he was always gonna be diagnosed with it.
    Yeah, that's probably true.

But when you're probably the face of boxing in terms of the history of the sport and you have Parkinson's, then people are always going to link the things together, especially those who are uneducated on the subject and want to highlight how brutal boxing is (which it can be). It's a fairy lazy and easy thing to link together when the chances are it could be completely unrelated.

If it was a less famous boxer, most would just assume he got Parkinson's because it just happens to some people. I don't think anybody has really said Boxing caused Freddie Roach's Parkinson's like they do with Ali...

Comment

i agree. parkinsons is a very unknown disease. ali had very good defense and movement for a heavyweight. even later in his career he never really got hit too much.

sometime things happen for a reason that only God himself knows.

Comment

Originally posted by Divine Hammer View Post
        i agree. parkinsons is a very unknown disease. ali had very good defense and movement for a heavyweight. even later in his career he never really got hit too much.

sometime things happen for a reason that only God himself knows.
        They can call it what they want. For thousands have sat in Alis state, except then it's called Dementia Pugilistica.

Comment

ali suffered from more than parkinson's. the man had a hellish career, and he took about as much punishment as you'll see any world class, winning fighter take.

the third fight with joe frazier alone probably took years away from his kidneys, liver, heart, lungs. the sound from that fight is disturbing.

Comment

My dad was an amature boxer in the 50's and developed Parkinson's.

Personally, I believe it is related to environmental reasons. Aluminum cookwear, etc. look it up.

Comment

Did you see the beatings he took in his last few fights?

Comment

Basically like most people with Parkinson's they would of inevitably gotten it. In Ali's case, he showed earlier signs of symptoms and effects probably because his body was very much broken down

Comment

Boxing isn't called the wild west of sports for nothing. There probably hasn't been a large study proving or disproving that parkinsons is associated with boxing.

Comment

Only two boxers? What are you talking about? There are so many fighters, that are all forgotten about becsuse they're not on TV constantly, that have what Roach and Ali have. In some cases it might be called Parkinson's, but in most it's called what it is, Pugilistica Dementia.

Go check out the Denny bros for instance. So sad man. There are tons of cases like that everywhere. Just because you havent heard of them doesn't mean they arent out there.

Comment

Working...
                    X