Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Muhammad Ali - Boxing's Greatest is Gone, 1942-2016

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I was just watching TV3 6 o'clock news (in New Zealand), and of course, Ali is the top story.

They interviewed a Wellington (bottom of the North Island in New Zealand) based boxing gym owner - who met Ali during one of his promotional tours decades ago. The Gym owner, just recently, flew two of his young guys over to see Ali and shake hands with the great man. Ali tried to sign a punching mitt to take back to their Gym but, due to his Parkinson's, couldn't write without shaking profusely.

That night, after everyone had gone, and Ali's medication had kicked in to make him steady enough, he signed a mitt - and sent it on a courier the next day, all the way to New Zealand from the US.

Ali wasn't perfect, far from it. However, it was the small things that made this man great. People can do grand things on the grandest stages, but every small token added up to Ali transcending beyond sport itself.

Comment

• I always felt the planet Earth was a better place with Muhammed Ali existence. I will miss him dearly, the greatest boxer and sports personality in the modern era.
      May Allah gather us in Jannah, Ameen.
      I hope his fans take the chance to read about Islam, they will understand why this great man made the right choice.

Comment

• Originally posted by Furn View Post
        No my dad missed my birth in 1973 watching Ali v Norton 2.

It wasn't on purpose, I was early and he's the best dad you could ever want

No mobile phones 1973.
        Ah okay the way you worded it made it seem on purpose.

Comment

• Originally posted by muslimer12 View Post
          lol loser....
          Hahah yet you're the mud-scum, err, sorry - Muslim!!

Comment

• Ali rip

RIP the legend will live on in a lot of memories

Comment

• RIP champ

The footwork will live on

Comment

• Originally posted by -Antonio- View Post
                You're a black man in the early 1960's. You win a gold medal for your country and you aren't even allowed in the restaurants to eat because of the color of your skin. You grow up in a nation divided, in the heart of the civil rights movement. You'd want to join the nation of Islam too.
                I approve this message
                Greent
                You said you what I wanted to say in this thread. Didn't want To turn this thread into politics but it seems some here won't let it go and make a new phone thread.

Comment

• Originally posted by Flabulous View Post
                  Hahah yet you're the mud-scum, err, sorry - Muslim!!
                  lame......

Comment

• I took like 5 shots just now for him. Awesome piece they did on HBO after the Salido fight.

Comment

• HBO does it again, great tribute to The Greatest.
                      May he rest in paradise.

Comment

Working...
                      X