No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Muhammad Ali - Boxing's Greatest is Gone, 1942-2016

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My thoughts

My dad missed my birth to watch an Ali fight.

He was a coloured man, who moved to the UK in 1964 and Ali was more than just a sportsman but a hero to him. That was clear by the time I was born in 1973. At least it seemed that way.

Such were the stories I was told, that when I first saw footage of an Ali fight (and it was my first exposure to Boxing) I was suprised that he got hit at all and that all his opponents didn't fall meekly before his power.

And that was Muhammad Ali to a tee.

The legend was so immense that the man could never live up to it, no matter how great he was.

And by God was the man great.

By far, the best fighter in the most famous division, in the greatest era that boxing ever saw.

For those who compare Tyson, Ali faced down a bigger badder version in Sonny Liston, and despite dubious tactics from Liston's corner. Ali tore such shreds from the beast than he quit in his corner after 7 rounds, rather than face any more torture from the young upstart.

For those who compare the undefeated Mayweather, yes Ali lost
    but Ali fought every few months and fought the very best, politics took his best years away from him and yet he came back and beat all time greats in fights he had no right to win. His resume speaks for itself.

So why is Ali really the greatest ?

Well mostly because he told us so, and it was just so dam hard to argue with him.

Where there better fighters ?

Maybe.

Where there better sportsman ?

Probably.

But there's only one "The greatest".

He changed not just boxing, but transcended the sport to become
    someone that was simply unforgettable.

There's a reason Floyd Mayweather calls himself TBE, the best ever.

Because Muhammad Ali is, and always will be the greatest.

RIP

Comment

• Originally posted by Furn View Post
      My thoughts

My dad missed my birth to watch an Ali fight.
      This isn't my place to say but I will anyways, thats not a dad mate.

Comment

• Such a sad day, RIP.

Comment

• Originally posted by Doritos View Post
          No my dad missed my birth in 1973 watching Ali v Norton 2.

It wasn't on purpose, I was early and he's the best dad you could ever want

No mobile phones 1973.
          Last edited by Furn; 06-04-2016, 04:42 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Doritos View Post

Comment

• The day we've all been dreading has finally arrived and even though the great man has been poorly for a long time it still hasn't sunk in ....will it ever?
              Love and thoughts to all family .

Comment

• This man's career and life was a marvel. What he did over 2 decades at heavyweight is something astounding even compared to other great fighters. There's no question for me that he was the best heavyweight to ever set foot in the ring.

He was not always a good person, but he is one of the great figures of the 20th century. R.I.P. to a legendary athlete.

Comment

• Very sad day in boxing. Thank you for all the memories.

May he rest in peace.

Comment

• I was only watching some of his Parkinson interviews a few days ago, absolutely hilarious. Such an unrivaled unique character.

It's hit me harder than i thought it would.

Comment

• Oh no .. terrible news as I wake up ... but my brother said it right, he's at rest now, they can't parade him around the way they did in the last couple of years RIP Champ

Comment

Working...
                      X