Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If Anthony Joshua was from Brooklyn or South Central....

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Or maybe he'd be hyped more here in the US if he beat someone that wasn't doodoo butter like Charles Martin and Dominic Breazeale.
    Last edited by BrometheusBob.; 05-26-2016, 06:39 AM.

Comment

Of course he'd be more hyped but it's not like he isn't anyway in the UK.

The guy sells out arena's and big PPV number. He did 400,000 PPV buys against Dillian Whyte and that's in a country 6x smaller than USA. Quite incredible really, especially when you considered he hasn't really beaten any good opposition.

Comment

Originally posted by BrometheusBob. View Post
        Or maybe he'd be hyped more here in the US if he beat someone that wasn't doodoo butter like Charles Martin and Dominic Breazeale.
        Yeah, they're terrible but those guys are probably ranked in the top 5 or 10 heavyweights in the USA. Apart from Wilder, the rest of the American heavyweights are terrible, and i'm not even sure how good Wilder is. I'm not even sold on Joshua either to be honest.

The heavyweight division is a strange one. There seems to be quite a big gulf in class between the top 6 or 7 fighters and the rest compared to other divisions. Pretty much everyone below the obvious names are absolutely terrible. There doesn't seem to be much of a middle ground apart from a few names.

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
          Joshua seems pretty hyped to me right now. Some people talking about him like he's 40-0 (40KO's) already or something. Granted if he was from the US with a bigger population there is an argument he'd be more hyped, but then again I don't think boxing fans are very passionate in the US these days so he might be much less hyped & less known.
          I agree about the hype. But the race baiting has gotta stop around here. We usually see the cowardly acts of cry-baby threads and theory that "oh it's because he's not black is why "black" fans hate white-boxer-X..."

But as you were saying. It feels great how the OP is either a casual bigot American or foreigner that didn't mention Wilder... who imo, is more colorful and vocally competitive like any hyped NFL player talking smack.. and from Alabama....

but no.. it has to be from "South Central" or Brooklyn, as if ALL of Brooklyn's boroughs share a cultural relationship with South Central...

Fail. Race Bait Thread.

Comment

Originally posted by 1hourRun View Post
            You know its true Ward is top P4P where is his hype? Wilder is the current US HW champion but nobody knows about him...you got to be great to get some recognition in America but these euros get a few wins and pick up a IBF title and they are considered the next Lennox Lewis.

Edit: also some Americans are cheering on Kovalev to beat Ward....thats a shame.
            well much of marketing protocol is to hype up the next best thing, and write now Anthony Joshua for UK boxing would be priority since he in particular sticks out more than Amir Khan and is undefeated. So Sky Sports and other sports outlets will do their best for Joshua. That sounds reasonable.

Now come stateside, with HBO vs CBS Sports and Affiliates (and PBC), these are political broadcast rivalries that affect the face of boxers and networks have to be careful matching up particular stars. This we can all agree with. For HBO, the main stars are straight forward on the header of "Championship" boxin; Golovkin, Kovalev, Alvarez, and Crawford. A Kazakh, Russian, Mexican, and an American respectively. If it wasn't for Alvarez their stock would've already folded or simply just downsized, which is probably why you see many rogue posters hating on other networks at NSB so casually. They're troubled that HBO isn't necessarily the status quo of boxing it used to be.

Marketing theory and anthropological strategies are at times sick. You gotta blame it on the networks. Mainly HBO... But that's fine for me, as long as other Jewish moguls have liberal networks - including CBS Sports - we can see more realistic marketing on television, which is why in American sports there are far too many African American athletes. Be it HBO wants to show their insecurities from a non regulated sport, black & white, so be it, and I don't care if HBO boxing folds.

ESPN has the most pressure imo because they have the power to be more neutral and critique the boxers from opposing networks.

For American "patriotism" if you will, it would've been nice to a program like the road to Wilder vs Povetkin. American vs Russian rivalry. I blame PBC, but I can't see PBC buying airtime for small half shows. They need to make the platform stronger on YouTube or buy a slot for a network open to show such recaps. HBO does it..

Comment

Once he starts getting marketed over here he'll be huge. Joshua is a sex symbol (no ****). Women over here love those English men with an accent. Idris Elba is considered one of the sexiest actors out today. He needs to fight over here. Be seen with Drake/Kanye/Jay-z. Have Floyd vouch for him. Put him on Ellen and Jimmy Fallon. He's a natural. I think he could be bigger than Wilder right now. The only problem is I think Eddie doesn't want to lose him to America. Sure he'll have him fighting on Showtime. But with an opponent like Breazele he should've fought him over here. You don't want his stateside debut to be against Wilder.

Comment

Originally posted by Real King Kong View Post
                Can you IMAGINE how hyped he'd be on NSB?

Larry would have him up there as the new Ali already.

Man that's a scary thought.

Thankfully he's only from the UK so he's little more than a bum to nsb
                I admit Larry is a strange man who knows how his bed room would look Posters of Jousha or Floyd take your pick

Comment

Working...
                X