No announcement yet.

Erislandy Lara vs. Gennady Golovkin

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sadiqkingofko View Post
    Lara is the biggest name out there who wants Golovkin. Make the fight happen, but it doesn't seem like they want the fight because Abel Sanchez said Monroe is a bigger name than Lara, but lets look at the facts. Lara has fought Trout, Canelo, and Paul Williams and arguably beat them all. Lara and Golovkin have both been on PPV once, Golovkin sold 97,000 and Lara sold 300,000

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEIzxPWuYOk
    You mean Golovkin sold 150 (Plus over 20million world wide views) and Canelo sold 300.
    Last edited by kafkod; 05-25-2016, 10:56 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Big Dunn View Post
      This is a ridiculous post. BJS belt and being British wasn't going to make enough to cover that purse and you know it. They want the belt, so they were willing to lose cool, we get that. Lara is an opponent that brings far more credibility than the WBO belt holder . His request isn't realistic but K2 set the bar so high and all he did was ask for the same amount K2 was already willing to give up.

Its posts like this from posters like you that makes people react so viciously to GGG.
      Wrong. The bar was set too high when Haymon was paying him $1 million for the likes of Delvin Rodriguez and Jan Zaveck. Maidana only had like a $1.5 million guarantee against Floyd for crissakes, and Floyd was the cashcow of the sport.

No, asking $3 million is not reasonable (if that is indeed what he is asking). Now in theory someone can ask whatever they want, the big question is how much would Lara actually accept for the fight? $1.5 million? $2 million?

Edit: and your underlying reasoning is simply wrong. You cant hold up the BJS purse as some sort of benchmark, because Saunders has something GGG wants, the WBO belt. Unless Lara has a similar trophy (which he doesnt), desperately trying to somehow parallel those things is silly......
      Last edited by OnePunch; 05-25-2016, 10:53 AM.

Comment

I am not saying they should lose the same amount. I am saying its not right to suggest Lara is pricing himself out or not serious about the fight because he asked for that purse.

Lara brings nothing but his reputation. He is more highly regarded then every possible GGG opponent other than Canelo (assuming Jacobs is not available).

Hopefully the sides can make an agreement for a reasonable amount. Lara will have to accept probably half or 60% of the $3 mil.
        Unfortunately for Lara, his reputation is that of a runner/spoiler.

Very few people, if any, regard him as highly as you try to pretend.

Comment

• Originally posted by OnePunch View Post
          Wrong. The bar was set too high when Haymon was paying him $1 million for the likes of Delvin Rodriguez and Jan Zaveck. Maidana only had like a $1.5 million guarantee against Floyd for crissakes, and Floyd was the cashcow of the sport.

No, asking $3 million is not reasonable (if that is indeed what he is asking). Now in theory someone can ask whatever they want, the big question is how much would Lara actually accept for the fight? $1.5 million? $2 million?

Edit: and your underlying reasoning is simply wrong. You cant hold up the BJS purse as some sort of benchmark, because Saunders has something GGG wants, the WBO belt. Unless Lara has a similar trophy (which he doesnt), desperately trying to somehow parallel those things is silly......
          He just fought for $750k so your Haymon point makes no sense. If you read the thread, I have already agreed that $3 mil is ridiculous unless its a fight with floyd, manny, canelo or a HWT champ.

Which means the BJS offer was just as ******ed. Lara asked for the same K2 offered for a lesser fighter, even if that fighter is a wbo beltholder. GGG's resume isn't lacking beltholders, it's lacking quality fighters like Lara.

This is a business negotiation, what other benchmark would you expect GGG opponents better than Saunders to use? Now if Wade or a Stevens level guy tried to use this, you'd have a point.

I agree Lara will have to take less to get the fight but his request given the facts is not unreasonable. He is hoping K2 is as desperate for a quality opponent as they are for a less respected beltholder.

Comment

This is a ridiculous post. BJS belt and being British wasn't going to make enough to cover that purse and you know it. They want the belt, so they were willing to lose cool, we get that. Lara is an opponent that brings far more credibility than the WBO belt holder . His request isn't realistic but K2 set the bar so high and all he did was ask for the same amount K2 was already willing to give up.

Its posts like this from posters like you that makes people react so viciously to GGG.
            Anybody who says that Lara is a more credible opponent than BJS at 160 is an idiot, a liar, or both.

I find it telling that the same people who derided Lemieux as an opponent for GGG, and gave Golovkin so much shit for fighting a so called no-hoper, are now giving him shit for not chasing a fight with Lara, who wouldn't even have a punchers chance.

Comment

• Originally posted by kafkod View Post
              Unfortunately for Lara, his reputation is that of a runner/spoiler.

Very few people, if any, regard him as highly as you try to pretend.
              You can't be serious. he is regarded as the best 154lber in the world. Only NSB (and other online forum) dipshits and pro HBO writers complain about his movement.

Comment

Anybody who says that Lara is a more credible opponent than BJS at 160 is an idiot, a liar, or both.

I find it telling that the same people who derided Lemieux as an opponent for GGG, and gave Golovkin so much shit for fighting a so called no-hoper, are now giving him shit for not chasing a fight with Lara, who wouldn't even have a punchers chance.
                Then everybody but GGG fans fall into that category.

Lara has a 5 inch reach advantage and can move and box. he may not be able to KO GGG but he can win on points by seeing if GGG has the stamina to go 12 rounds and be as effective.

None of the other GGG opponents, including Lemuiex, had Any chance to win. which is why Lara, given that Canelo looks like he is afraid, is a compelling fight at this point.

No one is giving him sh-t for not chasing a Lara fight. we are just discussing the possibility of the fight. Please stop the whining and crying and your over exaggerated fake outrage.

Comment

Then everybody but GGG fans fall into that category.

Lara has a 5 inch reach advantage and can move and box. he may not be able to KO GGG but he can win on points by seeing if GGG has the stamina to go 12 rounds and be as effective.

None of the other GGG opponents, including Lemuiex, had Any chance to win. which is why Lara, given that Canelo looks like he is afraid, is a compelling fight at this point.

No one is giving him sh-t for not chasing a Lara fight. we are just discussing the possibility of the fight. Please stop the whining and crying and your over exaggerated fake outrage.
                  Nope. You are pursuing your usual agenda by saying that Golovkin wanted to fight a less credible - your words - opponent than Lara, in the shape of Billy Joe Saunders, the unbeaten WBO MW champ. "But he won't fight Lara doe"

I can read you like a book mate, and so can anybody else with a brain in their head.

BJS has a MW title, a decent and growing UK fan base, and wins over Eubank Jr and Andy Lee.

Lara has no MW title, few fans, and his best wins are Austin Trout and a shot version of Angulo.

But he is best known for losing a stinker of a fight to Canelo Alvarez. The same Canelo Alvarez who just handed his WBC title to Golovkin rather than fight him.

More credible than BJS my fucking arse.

Comment

Nope. You are pursuing your usual agenda by saying that Golovkin wanted to fight a less credible - your words - opponent than Lara, in the shape of Billy Joe Saunders, the unbeaten WBO MW champ. "But he won't fight Lara doe"

I can read you like a book mate, and so can anybody else with a brain in their head.

BJS has a MW title, a decent and growing UK fan base, and wins over Eubank Jr and Andy Lee.

Lara has no MW title, few fans, and his best wins are Austin Trout and a shot version of Angulo.

But he is best known for losing a stinker of a fight to Canelo Alvarez. The same Canelo Alvarez who just handed his WBC title to Golovkin rather than fight him.

and also by justifying a $3 million asking price, he sets the stage to be able to claim GGG ducked Lara if K2 is not willing to pony up $2.5 million, or whatever silly number Lara demands......

Comment

Originally posted by OnePunch View Post
                      and also by justifying a $3 million asking price, he sets the stage to be able to claim GGG ducked Lara if K2 is not willing to pony up $2.5 million, or whatever silly number Lara demands......
                      As usual instead of discussing what is posted you deflect to something you've made up in your head. I never posted anything negative about who GGG wanted to fight or anything negative about him throughout this discussion thread.

Lara is a more respected boxer fighter than BJS. That doesn't mean BJS is a bum nor did I say anything negative about him either. Lara is the recognized best at his weight, BJS is barely a top 5 guy in a division many think is weak outside of GGG. Many thought Lara actually beat Canelo and Paul williams,.

As for One Punch, your paranoia is utterly ridiculous.

I didn't justify his $3 mil asking price, I said , in response to Dr. Rumack, that asking for $3 mil doesn't mean he isn't serious since its the same amount K2 offered BJS. To suggest that this is a precursor to something we do not know will happen is desperation at its worst.

You two are the worst kind of fags when it comes to GGG. You make up what people say and/or attach it to a racial "agenda" as an attempt to negate the criticism. Its as if you only like GGG because he isn't black or hispanic.

If you are not doing the above, you are giving GGG a pass for doing things both of you have criticized when other fighters do it.

Sorry guys but until he beats someone of substance, boxing fans of all races, colors and nationalities will criticize his resume, as we have done for every other fighter with a resume built on subpar competition.

Comment

Working...
                      X